Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 11:08 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogex View Post
I've heard about the population loss issue. Are there any theories as to why that's happening?
When the Alaska's economy is strong people move in, and then the economy is on a downturn people move out.
A strong economy helps with both wage and job increases, which is a good thing since the cost of living in Alaska is quite high compared to a lot of other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2021, 11:47 PM

2,043 posts, read 1,661,124 times
Quote:
I've never lived in Alaska. Never even been there. But my family has an opportunity to move there. We would be living in the Anchorage area or Mat-Su Valley. Have a job lined up. Nobody can ever be 100% sure that they'll love the place they're moving to, but we're trying to reduce the uncertainty as much as possible, since it's such a big move. Based on the people I've talked to and the things I've read, it seems that most of the people who were born and raised in Alaska love it and stay, or if they do leave, they move back. Among the people who were born elsewhere, who move to Alaska as transplants, it seems maybe half of them love it and stay, and the other half hate it and leave within a few years. We don't want to be among the group that hates it and leaves, as that would be costly. I'm sure it all comes down to personality. Some personalities are perfect for Alaska, some are not. I suspect that I would love Alaska, but what worries me is that everyone probably thinks that before they move there, and obviously some of those turn out to be wrong. I could visit, but really, visiting a place for a couple weeks wouldn't really give the full experience of living and working there year round. So my question is, who are the people who love Alaska? And who are the people who hate it? Is there a common theme among the people who stay, and those who leave?

You won't know for yourself until you try it. Since you will have a job when you get here, go ahead and give it a go. Weather would be one of the reasons people can't hack it. Grey, cold and dark can wear on you. But, separation from family would be the top reason I see people leave.

Why I like it here (26 years and counting) and have no plans to leave? It's not like anywhere else. I have a great group of friends and there really isn't a challenge that they aren't up for. We range far and wide and when something goes wrong, everyone just knuckles down and does what needs to be done to get through it. I can't adequately convey in words what that really means. And, when things are going right, this is just the best place to be - bar none.

I grew up in Virginia. Hot and humid in the summer, no doubt. Once I moved up here I realized I was much more suited to a northern climate. It just fits me better. I had no idea that was the case until I actually lived here.

Quote:
I've heard about the population loss issue. Are there any theories as to why that's happening?

Our economy is very much tied to oil. If oil prices go down, things get worse and people leave. Oil goes up, it's all grand and people move in. Oil prices have been down for a while now. Where things go from here - who knows?

Old 01-25-2021, 03:43 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
I love Baked Alaska, does that count?

One of these years, I'm gonna get on one of those big boats and sail up through the inside passage, maybe all the way up to Anchorage. But that's about all the Yukon Pete I've got left in me, I'd end up as bear scat if I tried living there, or get knocked out in a bar fight by some big ol' Inuit girl, and wake up on the back of her snow machine as she brings me home to meet her Pa. No Country for Old Men.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:08 AM

311 posts, read 492,856 times
Quote:
The economy has been slumping over the past few years. You can also coupled that with an already high turnover rate in population. Most people who move here only last an average of a six months to a few years.

Old 01-25-2021, 10:33 AM

1,811 posts, read 900,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreau36 View Post
Other than Anchorage (to a lesser degree), you won't find most of the Contiguous 48 amenities in the state. It's a unique state in which most love to live self sufficient lives.

I believe the issue of many transplants is that they expect all kinds of amenities to be here while romanticizing the state at the same time. Many who move here finally see reality him them in the face and when the experiment fails, they would have to spend more money moving back to the Contiguous 48. I firmly believe that one should make a visit (both summer and winter) to get the feel of the place before making such a commitment, especially those who don't have a passport to move their items through Canada.

As I mentioned in another thread, just last year alone, the people I have conversations with, for most part, were moving out of Alaska or were planning to move out in the near future.

Also, there were some who want to move to the bush without even looking at a map first. One person even messaged me about putting a Walmart in Utqiagvik (Barrow) lol.

Like most mentioned, if you're looking for the hottest clothing trends, concerts, meterialistic things, trendy restaurants, etc, you're looking in the wrong place. Not even here in Anchorage, which is just a hub city to rest of the state.

It's also expensive (extremely expensive for areas off the highway grid system) and shipping of goods could take weeks.

In addition, Alaska has lost population since 2015 and Anchorage since 2010.

I understand dreams, but one has to be realistic and counting the cost before making such a move.
I lived in Ketchikan for 8 years, Fairbanks for 2, Anchorage for 9, and other assorted bush communities. I thought Ketchikan and Fairbanks had just as many amenities as Anchorage. Also thought Anchorage had just as many amenities as any other large city except for professional sports. For me that was a non-issue since I could care less about them.

Sure maybe some of the smaller towns only had one bar but how many does one really need?
Nome and Barrow both had museums. Ketchikan has an active artsy community as do others.

If you wanna survive and thrive you gotta get offa the couch and go and participate in the activities that are offered. Sometimes that means even going to stuff that might not be overly exciting. When we moved to the village of Wainwright I asked my coworker what the interesting things were to do. He told me I was in luck since high school basketball was starting. Kinda rolled my eyes and he said just give it a try. We did and didn’t miss a game after that. Not necessarily for the sports but to meet folks and socialize. After that we went to almost all of the community events. Sure beat staying at home and watching the same 10 vhs movies over and over and over.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:23 AM

311 posts, read 492,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
I lived in Ketchikan for 8 years, Fairbanks for 2, Anchorage for 9, and other assorted bush communities. I thought Ketchikan and Fairbanks had just as many amenities as Anchorage. Also thought Anchorage had just as many amenities as any other large city except for professional sports. For me that was a non-issue since I could care less about them.

Sure maybe some of the smaller towns only had one bar but how many does one really need?
Nome and Barrow both had museums. Ketchikan has an active artsy community as do others.

If you wanna survive and thrive you gotta get offa the couch and go and participate in the activities that are offered. Sometimes that means even going to stuff that might not be overly exciting. When we moved to the village of Wainwright I asked my coworker what the interesting things were to do. He told me I was in luck since high school basketball was starting. Kinda rolled my eyes and he said just give it a try. We did and didn’t miss a game after that. Not necessarily for the sports but to meet folks and socialize. After that we went to almost all of the community events. Sure beat staying at home and watching the same 10 vhs movies over and over and over.
It all depends on what one wants.

Old 01-25-2021, 12:31 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Very well said, Frostnip...

The same for people who lean toward the use of drugs and alcohol as a means to stay relatively pleased with their lives. But mentally strong people have a greater chance to do well in Alaska.
Reminds me that in the book “Coming into the Country”, the author suggested that the majority of individuals living in the Alaska bush at that time were either drunks or Jesus Freaks.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:19 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post

Well, if you're really serious about your drinking, you need at least two; you always want to have a backup in case you get 86'd from your primary. When I was younger and much dumber, the crowd I ran with would rotate through the same four or five bars, it helps if management misses you from time to time. Plus, it would give you a better chance of meeting a big ol' gal with a snow machine, or maybe even a fishing boat.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:58 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Very well said, Frostnip

If you don't mind I will add the following: Because of the long hours of darkness, people who suffer from any degree of depression or related mental conditions don't do well in Alaska. The same for people who lean toward the use of drugs and alcohol as a means to stay relatively pleased with their lives. But mentally strong people have a greater chance to do well in Alaska.
I also agree with both of you. Another couple of things I'd add OP:

I feel that in order to really become part of a place, you need to feel some interest in its future, not be driven only by what you can get out of it. Care what happens to it, a sense of being intrigued by the issues it faces, and a desire to be involved with or to witness them. I don't just mean politically, I mean invest energy for the place as something larger than yourself. Call it devotion? Advocation? Not sure if those are the right words. I don't mean you need to become some famous figurehead or trendsetter, just be personally motivated by the place itself.

As for finding out whether you'll love or hate any place you move, I think there are two parts to that equation. There's all the stuff you can influence somewhat such as the job that pays enough, housing, school, amenities your entire family would want/need, the socio-political atmosphere you can tolerate or participate in, the entertainment you hope for. Then there's a deeper, sort of visceral love/hate that you can't really predict or explain. No matter how much research you do ahead of time, there will still be a gut feeling you can't shake or dismiss. Maybe sheer time and dogged persistence can blunt this gut feeling but it will always be there. I suspect this plays in to whether someone ends up facing the effects of SAD or not. Some places are going to feel like you belong there and others places never will. I happen to believe you need to listen to that voice. You can ignore it while the learning curve is new and exciting but you can't ignore it forever.

Which leads me to the other thing. Family members. I can't count how many newly arrived families I've known who were drawn to AK by a breadwinner's dream, only to find out the only person who ends up liking it is the breadwinner. Everyone else ended up dragged into something they don't want or even knew they were going to get. Things are tolerable for a while until the novelty wears off. Kids miss their friends, end up bored, family members miss extended family left down south, someone ends up with a health or social problem they can't get enough help for by staying. Sure, given enough $ you can hop on a jet and go see them, but its no longer a spontaneous act. Friction, frustration, guilt, SAD, depression, even anger can result. So many families stick it out for the average two years and leave with a sense of relief. When they leave, many times it wasn't because that original breadwinner wants to but because someone else must.

I didn't grow up in AK. I grew up in a place that was never "home" despite being born there. Back to that gut feeling again. Felt like a fish out of water. What I knew about AK came from books and movies. Everything I could put hands on about the place drew me there. Just why I don't think I'll ever know. It was that visceral gut feeling that it was a place I needed to get to. Possibly to return to. Not sure about all that and don't need to be sure about all that. As a kid I had pretty typical (and romantic) dreams what it would be like and it drew me constantly. I'm not risk adverse but I'm not a big risk taker either. When my parents booked a Princess cruise up the Inland Passage back in 1971 I had this really half-baked plan to jump ship with a pocket knife, some clothes, cash, and an edible plant guide and not come back. Great idea at age 14! Obviously didn't carry out the plan. It would have meant failure, disappointment, self loathing. Instead, I did it the less romantic, persistent, dogged way: getting a useful education, building employable skills, and simply ending up with the maturity and self-knowledge that would face up to the unique challenges a remote place will impose...whether you admit it or not. Kept an eye on the prize. It was always there no matter where I happened to migrate across the country. All those other places were simply rest stops.

I love living here but just like any other place its not a total blind love of everything. The things I don't love about it are relatively minor annoyances: not being able to afford some goods or services, summer bugs, some winter hazards, getting products, the politics, the little tasks that are always just a bit harder to finish. It is harder to get to know than some other places I've lived, but that's part of it...to take what it dishes out, to dig deeper under the surface, make an investment, and get a quiet internal joy out of what results.

Sorry for the diatribe folks.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-25-2021 at 02:34 PM..

Old 01-25-2021, 03:17 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
I moved to Alaska with the military back in the '70s, and the first thing that took some time to get used to was a feeling isolation from the rest of the US. When living in the lower-48 I could travel North, South, West, West...all across the US. I could visit friends and family members living a few miles away in neighboring towns or cities, and so on. Once I was over that "feeling of isolation," things fell back into place.

As some have mentioned above, one shouldn't stay bored indoors and turn mentally unstable. Enjoy the indoors and the outdoors as well. Participate in local events, even as a spectator at the local sled dog, automobile, boat races, or whichever festivity is taking place at the moment. My primary hobbies are photography, metal detecting, hunting, reloading, camping, and so on. My working years are over since I have already retired twice

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-25-2021 at 03:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska