Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2008, 01:35 PM

655 posts, read 916,719 times

Advertisements

I rented my home under a 2 year lease contract. The tenants have been there for all of 4 months and already want out. Another reason why I'm moving from Alaska! You can't own a home here unless, you, yourself live in it.

I own a home for two years in NC and have had the best tenants in the world. Here, everyone I talk to states that 90% of the time, the renters are bad in the valley. These idiots brought in two dogs when we agreed to none. I simply called them on it and asked for a $1000 security deposit since they snuck dogs into my home. Now they are moving and not going to honor their lease agreement.

Does anyone else out there have any luck renting their home in the valley? Where do you find good tenants out here? I'm planing to sit on my home off fish hook for 2 more years, then try and sell it. This stinks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 07:33 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,996 times
It's not that easy to bail on a lease. They are responsiblie for the payments whether they live there or not. You can let the out if you like.

I don't do property management, but I believe there are three property managers in the valleythat do it pretty much full time.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:01 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,523 times
references,references,references.
credit score and background check don't mean jack today.
lot's of good renter's have less than pefect credit scores, and some have a not very noteworthy past. references are everything.
If a renter can't provide references, they better have $$$$$$.
But them again, same about you. Are you a good landlord? Some slumlords in juneau aren't worth shooting.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:02 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
Some slumlords in juneau aren't worth shooting.
Do they make good eating or trophies?

Old 05-11-2008, 02:05 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,743 times
Default ditto

I'll second Danny L. on this one, it's all about references from past landlords or apt. managers. Even ten years ago when we were still renting, it was basically impossible to move into a decent apt. in the PHX, AZ area if you didn't have either a major move-in deposit or a string of good references. Now that I've been on both sides of the equation, I can see why. The last (and I DO mean last, as in ONLY) time I rented a house out as a landlord the tenent started out great, but her payments got later and later until she was just days away from paying a full month behind. She always had a great "excuse" for why she was late with the rent, but somehow she always had money to buy a LOT of expensive new furniture, the big TV, a newer car, etc. For some reason, paying the landlord on time just didn't seem to be a financial priority, funny that way.

She seemed surprised and acted quite hurt when we told her we wouldn't renew her lease, since we were selling the house instead. In less than a month I got calls from two different prospective landlords, obviously she'd used us as a reference. I told them about her payment history, that she's never actually missed a payment but... It turned out that the thing they were most interested in was that she had signed a lease agreement with both of them, was in the process of moving into one place, and had already stored a housefull of furniture and junk at the other. Never did find out how that turned out, but I'll bet it wasn't pretty.

Landlord/tenent laws vary quite a bit from state to state, I'd definately consult an attourney that specializes in that area if you are going to continue as a landlord. Also MAKE SURE that your insurance covers your property while it's being rented, this is not the time to withhold that critical piece of information from your agent. I have an inlaw that runs a company specializing in background investigations, and a large part of her business is checking out prospective renters to see where they've REALLY lived and how truthful they were on their applications. If you want a more hands-off approach, I'm sure that there are property management places who can handle all the nitty-gritty, but of course you'll have to pay them their cut.
Considering some of the stories about nightmare tenents I've heard and seen (chainsaw "remodels", scavenging copper by ripping out the wiring and plumbing while being evicted, indoor dog-breeding kennels, engine overhauls in the bathtub, etc.) you need to be prepared for the worst. If you're emotionally or sentimentally invested in a house and its furnishings, it just shouldn't be a rental.

Keep in mind that the "ideal" qualities you're looking for in a renter can be hard to come by no matter where you live, so you need to find out what you can live with (your old neighbors now hate you) and what you can't (has a habit of using rentals as meth labs). People that have stable lives and jobs, immaculate housekeeping, quiet and flawlessly housebroken children and pets, are are thoughful and considerate with both the neighbors and the home they live in are generally inclined to be homeowners themselves, not renters. In the rare cases where by chance or circumstance they DO rent, their current landlord is probably bending over backwards to make sure they stay.

If your place weren't so far out, I'd recommend renting to military families, but it's a long drive from KGB around to the base.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:22 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times
guess it goes both ways. We were told-in writing-that the house we are now leasing had 3 bedrooms. We were on the east coast at the time so we trusted that the real estate agency/property managers were on the up and up. Arrived to find 2 bedrooms and a third something that might qualify as a closet since it doesn't even have one of those. Called them on it and the realtor wanted to get huffy with me. She said she's sure she has documentation "somewhere" that states the third room is small. I'm still waiting for her to find that email she swears she sent to me(she didn't) I suppose we could break the lease on that point but we haven't. I had stressed to her over and over the importance of THREE bedrooms. We can't even fit a youth bed into the 3rd "bedroom" in this house. Yet we are good tenants and will pay and pay on time. If and when though I can find another THREE bedroom to lease that accepts pets we will have a serious talk with said realtor and then we're outta here. We passed up several 2 bedroom houses that were $500-$600 per month cheaper. This one is not cheap!

Last edited by Élan vital; 05-11-2008 at 02:24 AM.. Reason: spelling error!

Old 05-11-2008, 08:55 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
You can take them to small claims court. They will lose their deposit and any amout that you are out while you try to find another renter. Courts don't look kindly on renters who break their leases and are sneaky like them.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:13 PM

639 posts, read 1,916,268 times
Hey we maybe in need of a rental soon down that way. If these people don't come back to your place. We do have a small dog though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska