Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 03:07 PM

959 posts, read 2,361,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I recommend an iPhone. Then you can surf the web while waiting for the tow truck.
LOL HEHEHE...

I'd recommend anything BUT Vonage. My parents have it and it SUCKS. I tried to call my mom yesterday and some theatre-trained Voice came on and said..."Message 380 B...your call can not be completed at this time. Please try again at another time." It didn't even put me through to voicemail, like it's sposed to. RRRRR...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 03:19 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Our cable service runs the gamut from ultra reliable to pathetic. I don't trust it to provide us with reliable phone service. I really don't use the landline anymore except when the power goes out. My wife & I have the uber spendy Sprint everything plan so we can sit in traffic & or surf the internet on a 2" screen. The reality for us is that we tend to talk a lot more with friends & family when we don't have to keep track of the number of minutes we have. I'm looking forward to seeing how service is in Mat-Su.

But on the other hand, if you want a phone purely for emergencies get a prepaid one at Walmart. Throw it in the glove compartment & use it when you need it.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:14 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
LOL HEHEHE...

I'd recommend anything BUT Vonage. My parents have it and it SUCKS. I tried to call my mom yesterday and some theatre-trained Voice came on and said..."Message 380 B...your call can not be completed at this time. Please try again at another time." It didn't even put me through to voicemail, like it's sposed to. RRRRR...
I got Vonage once because my calls to Malaysia were super long & it seemed easier & cheaper to have that. Nope, got rid of it. Vonage sucks

Old 05-12-2008, 04:55 PM

947 posts, read 3,572,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I got Vonage once because my calls to Malaysia were super long & it seemed easier & cheaper to have that. Nope, got rid of it. Vonage sucks
Ive had Vonage for a yearand have had absolutely no complaints whatsoever.

the only times it didn't work was when *I* accidentally unplugged the adapter or my internet service went out.

there are 3 call quality settings... 30K, 50K and 90K. the 30K setting is about cellphone quality, the 50K setting is just below FM Stereo and 90K is nice.

I have mine set at50K and it's fine. The only time the quality ever got choppy was if I was downloading something or playing a webstream above say, 96K Stereo at the same time.

I had 3Meg down/386 up internet and never had a problem. Now, I have 7 meg down/768 up and it works fine.

I have found, usually, that when there's a problem wiuth Vonage, it's usually an internet connection issue with your ISP (internet service provider) and Not Vonage itself.

Remember, if your internet goes out, it may go directly to voicemail or not work at all if you don't have it set properly.

I'm moving from South Carolina to Nebrasks in a few weeks and plan on sticking with VOIP and NOT getting a landline.. but getting 10 meg down/1 meg up cable internet and attaching a VOIP line to that.

Just my two cents from techie-geek.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Well, I am not going to get some internet telephone-nothing bugs me more than some damned phone ringing when I'm in the middle of making bread or blackberry daquiris. I just need a phone to call for help with if I break my ankle while in the woods or whatever.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well, I am not going to get some internet telephone-nothing bugs me more than some damned phone ringing when I'm in the middle of making bread or blackberry daquiris. I just need a phone to call for help with if I break my ankle while in the woods or whatever.
Have you thought about having a cell chip implanted in your arm?

Old 05-12-2008, 05:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
I've given that about as much thought as I've given to going to Point Hope, Barkely

Old 05-12-2008, 05:15 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,948,962 times
Quote:
nothing bugs me more than some damned phone ringing when I'm in the middle of making bread or blackberry daquiris. I just need a phone to call for help with if I break my ankle while in the woods or whatever.
I feel exactly the same way. I didn't get a phone to allow other people to call in, I got it so I could call out. The important people in my life know to send me email or a text message if something is important. That's the one thing I love about my cell phone... I just put it on silent mode so it never rings. I hate that conception that you *have* to stop doing whatever you're doing and talk to someone whenever they please just because they called. ARG!! It makes me want to call them at 2:30 am when I'm having my normal insomnia or right in the middle of their dinner hour... just to interrupt their lives with stupid stuff they don't care about.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:22 PM

That's why caller ID is nice, you just look at the number & keep doing what you're doing.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:30 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,168,808 times
you can have a cell phone that is not even activated but is charged up and use the phone for a 911 call.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska