Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 08:19 PM

751 posts, read 1,485,016 times

Advertisements

There is a possibility of a job in the Anchorage area for me.

I am not shopping for a place to live in this post, or looking for financial advice, or how soon can I get an in-state fishing license. My google-fu is not great, but I can stumble around for that kind of stuff if the opportunity gets that far, and if it actually does, I will drop back in here with those kind of questions then.

I am not broke, fairly comfortable even, with the possibility of a job that is cool to me. The fact that it is in Alaska is just an added bonus.

What I am looking for is the logistical tale of how a move could physically happen.

I can ship my "stuff" up there, what little I really want to keep. I can even wait a few months for it to arrive.

I can easily live on a car load of stuff for a while, while picking up some new (to me) sticks of furniture etc.

Cars though... I know cars are in short supply up there, they are here too, but I can buy an appropriate car somewhere down here likely easier than I can up there. I don't believe my current car is appropriate for daily driving up there. The ferry can't get one there until late September according to their website yesterday, and I would assume that 3 month lead time may hold through the remainder of the season.

So driving it would probably be. Can an American realistically expect to drive a car moving to Alaska, and pass through Canada, in the current covid crisis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 10:39 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,890,533 times
There was some loosening of restrictions just announced today but still tight.

Leisure travel is still a no but if you have an AK residence you should be able to. Just don't wander off the path and sight-see.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:51 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,635,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
There is a possibility of a job in the Anchorage area for me.

I am not shopping for a place to live in this post, or looking for financial advice, or how soon can I get an in-state fishing license. My google-fu is not great, but I can stumble around for that kind of stuff if the opportunity gets that far, and if it actually does, I will drop back in here with those kind of questions then.

I am not broke, fairly comfortable even, with the possibility of a job that is cool to me. The fact that it is in Alaska is just an added bonus.

What I am looking for is the logistical tale of how a move could physically happen.

I can ship my "stuff" up there, what little I really want to keep. I can even wait a few months for it to arrive.

I can easily live on a car load of stuff for a while, while picking up some new (to me) sticks of furniture etc.

Cars though... I know cars are in short supply up there, they are here too, but I can buy an appropriate car somewhere down here likely easier than I can up there. I don't believe my current car is appropriate for daily driving up there. The ferry can't get one there until late September according to their website yesterday, and I would assume that 3 month lead time may hold through the remainder of the season.

So driving it would probably be. Can an American realistically expect to drive a car moving to Alaska, and pass through Canada, in the current covid crisis?
Recent thread on this:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/alas...uarantine.html

Good luck on your job / move.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:03 PM

894 posts, read 2,204,717 times
I moved back to Alaska first of March this year. Sold some stuff, brought most of it. Total cost to get here is gonna depend on how much stuff you have. I spent around 16k to get here. Would have been a bit cheaper had I rented a U haul and moved myself, but I didn't want to do that again.

Coming through Canada took half a day. But I had crossed all my T's and dotted all my i's and made it through Coutts.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:20 AM

751 posts, read 1,485,016 times
Thanks to all for the replies, especially the thread link from jdhpa. I had read that thread back then, but forgotten about the travel link in the thread.

Normal times would be an easy call, fly up, ship the small amount of keeper stuff, and buy transportation up there. This is hardly normal times with the car drought.

I will continue on with the job process and find more answers in the near future.

Thank you again for all the help!

Old 06-22-2021, 09:53 AM

905 posts, read 670,055 times
I follow a Facebook board on people wanting to move to Alaska. It sounds like at the border if you have a letter with a job offer and confirmation of a place to live there are no real issues.

Old 06-22-2021, 02:19 PM

10,582 posts, read 7,804,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
Cars though... I know cars are in short supply up there, they are here too, but I can buy an appropriate car somewhere down here likely easier than I can up there...
Sure, you'd have a better choice down there. It's not like there are no new or used cars to be had in Alaska though. Since you have minimal possessions, I suggest to fly up and buy a vehicle here.

Old 06-22-2021, 03:32 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,685,984 times
You can also drive to Seattle and have your car shipped to Anchorage by boat. Fly up and then pick it up when it gets here.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:12 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,624,649 times
You can drive to Seattle & ship your car from there: https://www.totemaritime.com/alaska/...les-rvs-boats/

Old 06-22-2021, 10:35 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,112,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Sure, you'd have a better choice down there. It's not like there are no new or used cars to be had in Alaska though. Since you have minimal possessions, I suggest to fly up and buy a vehicle here.
Not too sure about Anchorage, but there is a shortage of vehicles to purchase in Fairbanks.

My cousin ordered a new Subaru and waited about six weeks for it to deliver. It wasn't anything special, there were just none here to buy. There was just an article in the News Miner in the past couple of days about how Affordable usually has >500 used cars on the lot and right now they have <200 and they're doing everything they can to find more inventory.

Even if it was a normal year I would suggest buying a vehicle in the states to bring up. I am a little persnickity about my vehicles (meaning that mostly I just don't want to buy some slope truck that's been beat to hell) and it took me two years to find my current pickup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska