Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 12:16 PM

8 posts, read 9,781 times

Advertisements

Up to just recently I've read and watched videos of traveler driving to/from Alaska through Canada with restrictions (genuine reason for travel, direct timed route, drive-through window for food, pay at pump fuel etc.). The latest I've read on Canadas web page is now Alaska/Lower48 bound drivers must quarantine for 14 days. Day one you take a test, day 10 another test. No exceptions at this time for vaccinated travelers. The page was last updated on March 31st 2021.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...nsit-alaska-us

Anyone drive through the Canadian land border to/from the lower 48 since March 31?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 08:05 AM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
I watched a guy on YouTube (who is from Girdwood and lives in his camper truck he built) try getting into Canada so he could have specialized surgery in Atlanta. This was a month or two ago and he got denied entry even with detailed plans for entire trip, plus he lives in his truck, fuel is only thing he’d need.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:50 AM

Alaskans going south for work or moving, as well as those from the lower 48 driving to Alaska for work or moving or returning to their primary residence have been let in and allowed a direct route travel with a time limit. The link above now requires those type of over-the-road travelers to quarantine for 14 days. This makes it very costly to enter by road and I suspect many then would ship their vehicle by barge and fly up/down instead. Our family (with dog) are planning to buy a house in Alaska and drive up to our new home in late July (remote close on the house at the end of May). We have a car we need to bring with us along with our beloved dog. If we need to go in another way, flying with our dog could be difficult (logistics and hard on our elderly dog) and the cost of shipping our car by barge would add additional cost.

So I'm wondering is the link was accurate, that now travelers in the category above do need to quarantine for 14 days after arriving over the Canadian boarder, and if so, is there a designated hotel that they require you to stay and what was the cost, and would they allow pets? I don't even know how we would take our dog out for potty breaks. Our family will be fully vaccinated upon our arrival.

I look forward to hearing about anyone who has drove to/from Alaska/Lower48 since March 31st.

Thank

Old 04-12-2021, 10:44 AM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredwanderer View Post
Alaskans going south for work or moving, as well as those from the lower 48 driving to Alaska for work or moving or returning to their primary residence have been let in and allowed a direct route travel with a time limit. The link above now requires those type of over-the-road travelers to quarantine for 14 days. This makes it very costly to enter by road and I suspect many then would ship their vehicle by barge and fly up/down instead. Our family (with dog) are planning to buy a house in Alaska and drive up to our new home in late July (remote close on the house at the end of May). We have a car we need to bring with us along with our beloved dog. If we need to go in another way, flying with our dog could be difficult (logistics and hard on our elderly dog) and the cost of shipping our car by barge would add additional cost.

So I'm wondering is the link was accurate, that now travelers in the category above do need to quarantine for 14 days after arriving over the Canadian boarder, and if so, is there a designated hotel that they require you to stay and what was the cost, and would they allow pets? I don't even know how we would take our dog out for potty breaks. Our family will be fully vaccinated upon our arrival.

I look forward to hearing about anyone who has drove to/from Alaska/Lower48 since March 31st.

Thank
There's another option to barging or driving: the Alaska Marine Highway ferry. No need to deal with Canada's entry restrictions. Your dog can ride in your vehicle. They announce regularly scheduled potty breaks for pets during the voyage. You can save $ by not reserving a stateroom (you sleep on deck chairs on the upper deck. Its roofed over with heaters.). Yes, costly, and you need to make reservations early, but if driving is also going to be costly...

You're going to pay some costs no matter which method you choose. All will have their downsides. A link to ferry info:

Alaska State Ferry Schedules | Alaska Marine Highway System

Disclaimer: I haven't made the trip this year but the last time I did, I used the ferry. I traveled with a dog and 2 birds.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:05 PM

Thanks for that link. The Alaska ferry would be too much time spent in the car for our buddy without being with him and we don't want to put him through that. It was three days to Juneau from Bellingham, then another 1.5 days to Whittier. 2 adults, one sedan, no cabin = $3300 (dog option didn't show). A direct ferry was $4K with no room, 4.5 days total. Juneau may still have Covid test/quarantine rules, though perhaps they may change for those who are fully immunized.

Another option would be barge the car up ($2100 approx) and the three of us fly to Anchorage. With Current Covid restrictions, flying with a pet is much more difficult (unless small carry on). A pet shipping company would need to be hired and the dog put on a cargo plane which could mean $2K or so.

So the only real option is to drive up and that leads back to the latest information from Canada and that is for those who drive to/from Alaska/Lower must quarantine for 14 days. There was a 'test' one could click on to determine if one 'may' be allowed entry to drive to/from Alaska, and in that information nothing was mentioned about a 14 day quarantine;

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...s/wizard-start

So I'm wondering if there really is a new rule about the 14 day quarantine or it was mistakenly inserted to describe those who intend to travel to and stay in Canada rather than for those who intend to drive straight through to Alaska. This is why I started this thread to find out if any has driven up from the lower 48 since March 30 and if they were required to quarantine for 14 days as the Canada web page link states.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:58 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:

So I'm wondering if there really is a new rule about the 14 day quarantine or it was mistakenly inserted to describe those who intend to travel to and stay in Canada rather than for those who intend to drive straight through to Alaska...
I believe it's the latter. Applicable to folks planning to stay in Canada.

Old 04-12-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that link. The Alaska ferry would be too much time spent in the car for our buddy without being with him and we don't want to put him through that. It was three days to Juneau from Bellingham, then another 1.5 days to Whittier. 2 adults, one sedan, no cabin = $3300 (dog option didn't show). A direct ferry was $4K with no room, 4.5 days total. Juneau may still have Covid test/quarantine rules, though perhaps they may change for those who are fully immunized.

Another option would be barge the car up ($2100 approx) and the three of us fly to Anchorage. With Current Covid restrictions, flying with a pet is much more difficult (unless small carry on). A pet shipping company would need to be hired and the dog put on a cargo plane which could mean $2K or so.

So the only real option is to drive up and that leads back to the latest information from Canada and that is for those who drive to/from Alaska/Lower must quarantine for 14 days. There was a 'test' one could click on to determine if one 'may' be allowed entry to drive to/from Alaska, and in that information nothing was mentioned about a 14 day quarantine;

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...s/wizard-start

So I'm wondering if there really is a new rule about the 14 day quarantine or it was mistakenly inserted to describe those who intend to travel to and stay in Canada rather than for those who intend to drive straight through to Alaska. This is why I started this thread to find out if any has driven up from the lower 48 since March 30 and if they were required to quarantine for 14 days as the Canada web page link states.
What is current now could easily change by late July. Sounds as if you'll need to plan for the worst and keep checking for updates. If they do loosen things up that's all to the better right?

Old 04-12-2021, 08:33 PM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
I know I’m basing my thoughts on some random dude, but Canada told him he’d be allowed to do it. He filmed himself on the trip to border and border agent said no, so he had to turn around. I don’t know what the details were on him getting denied, but it sounds like it’s a roll the dice. Then again that’s every trip I’ve ever taken into Canada and my mom was born and raised there. I am waiting on my Canadian citizenship certificate via this, so I can enter at anytime.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What is current now could easily change by late July. Sounds as if you'll need to plan for the worst and keep checking for updates. If they do loosen things up that's all to the better right?
But from that link (below) the latest information (dated March 31, 2021), Alaska/Lower48 bound direct route road travelers are now required to quarantine for 14 days. How does one do this with a pet? How can you take them outside for potty breaks? Put him in the shower and tell him to do his business in there and scoop up #2 and put in the toilet I guess would be an option (mid sized dog)? 14 days in a hotel with food delivery required would be fairly expensive (believe it's $2KCAN for 3 day Government approved hotel). Just wouldn't be worth going up until the rules allow direct travel as has been the case up until March 31st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I know I’m basing my thoughts on some random dude, but Canada told him he’d be allowed to do it. He filmed himself on the trip to border and border agent said no, so he had to turn around. I don’t know what the details were on him getting denied, but it sounds like it’s a roll the dice. Then again that’s every trip I’ve ever taken into Canada and my mom was born and raised there. I am waiting on my Canadian citizenship certificate via this, so I can enter at anytime.
But he went before March 31st 2021, which according to the weblink above is when the new rule went into affect (meaning even if he got through back then, the 14 day quarantine was not in affect for direct route road travelers to/from Alaska.)

If anyone has driven to/from Alaska/Lower48 since April 1st, 2021, I'd like to hear if the Canadian Gov required you to also quarantine for 14 days or not.

Thanks

Old 04-13-2021, 01:12 PM

But from that link (below) the latest information (dated March 31, 2021), Alaska/Lower48 bound direct route road travelers are now required to quarantine for 14 days. How does one do this with a pet? How can you take them outside for potty breaks? Put him in the shower and tell him to do his business in there and scoop up #2 and put in the toilet I guess would be an option (mid sized dog)? 14 days in a hotel with food delivery required would be fairly expensive (believe it's $2KCAN for 3 day Government approved hotel). Just wouldn't be worth going up until the rules allow direct travel as has been the case up until March 31st.

TBH, the chance that someone posting on C-D has driven to AK within the last 12 days is probably very small. There probably are other N America-focused travel webforums (maybe one that caters to RVers?) where you could ask your questions. What about posting your question under C-D's general Travel subforum? Still, how trustworthy is some anonymous web poster's account anyway? They could invent the whole thing. The quarantine order is what it is. If you choose not to believe the official CA website don't know what to tell you. Not sure I'd want to ignore that info, take a risk and make the drive just to get turned around at the border myself. That's going to cost you too.

The expense is what it is. There are basically three ways to reach AK: flying, ferry, or driving through CA. If you won't fly with your dog, won't leave your dog in your car for the ferry trip, and don't want to pay for the CA quarantine lodging guess you'll have to wait until the quarantine order is relaxed. I suppose another option is to leave a car and the dog with a friend or boarding kennel, fly yourselves up to take care of business, then, once the quarantine order is relaxed, fly back down, retrieve car and dog and make the drive then. Of course no one can predict when that may happen. Just as no one can predict what the quarantine order will be in late July.

Why don't you investigate further by calling government-approved CA hotels and ask them how they deal with a guest's pet during quarantine? Does the CA quarantine information give a list? One of them might have a room with a direct outdoor access you can use for your dog that doesn't require you to transit through the common areas of the building. When you go out on minimal potty breaks, you'd mask up, use hand sanitizer on surfaces you touch, and avoid other people. The hotel could also verify the quarantine order.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-13-2021 at 01:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska