Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 12:30 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

Only the stupid ones.

So I suppose that would be a "yes".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 12:36 PM

8 posts, read 17,654 times
There is a difference between a traveler and a tourist.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:38 PM

I think that we know that. However, cruise ships don't normally spit out travelers.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:43 PM

No I suppose not, just wondering on the attitude twords outsider we have been planning a drive up and have been to some places were if you show up with bags people automatically frown upon you.

Sorry for wasting your time! I was just bored

Old 05-15-2008, 12:50 PM

You didn't waste anyone's time. I think you'll find that Alaska in general is friendly to travelers.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:07 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,609 times
Default mixed blessing

Don't take us wrong, Alaskans generally love tourists. It's just that we don't necessarily love them all at once, in overwhelming numbers, like what happens when a cruise ship spits out 2000 people at once in a town of maybe 2500 permanent residents. Seeing as most all of the traditional extractive industry jobs like mining, timber harvesting, and to some extent commercial fishing have all significantly declined, tourism is perhaps the most important facet of the new economy...whether we like it or not. Some people want things to go back to the old days, but that can't happen and some folks have a hard time accepting that. Like any economic transition, there are winners and losers and the new status quo doesn't necessarily benefit those who have benefitted before, leading to some discontent and a lot of catty comments on the internet, amongst other venues.

That said, it still doesn't give people licence to check their brains at the causeway. We know that you're a tourist in town for a day ow two and we certainly appreciate the fact that you've spent considerable time and money to get here, but we'd still like you to use some common sense like you would at home. For example, don't stand in the middle of the street taking photos with no regard for traffic. Don't show up at the towns only bakery and spend two hours nursing that cup of coffee when other people are waiting for tables. Don't feed the bears, ravens, gulls, or other animals, and leave the spawning salmon alone. Also don't be afraid to ask questions, but don't be surprised if you get some funny answers from time to time. When it's the ten-thousandth time you've heard the same question, some people find a bit of amusement in giving some off the wall answers to relieve the monotony.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:30 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1266 View Post
Are you against all tourists?
Me? No, but I've traveled on enough cruise ships to dislike ugly Americans.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:33 PM

I guess I was just caught off gaurd by this forum but I was not thinking of tourism the way you describe it. Being from North centeral Minnesota our idea of tourism is the two times a year you see an out of state license plate. I definetly see were you are comming from.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Me? No, but I've traveled on enough cruise ships to dislike ugly Americans.
Sorry for the uglieness we're born that way

Old 05-15-2008, 01:40 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
.... and leave the spawning salmon alone.....
No dynamite fishing?

And are very frugal people considered to be tourists or travellers? I mean those of us who would have to paddle a homemade raft to check out Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska