Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:55 AM

188 posts, read 607,925 times

Advertisements

Hi. Looking for some input from military families. I'm considering going into the service. Army or AF. I, like many others I'm sure, would like to be stationed up in AK. Yes, I know I couldn't make glass pipes anymore. he he he... But which one is better about putting you in the mos that you wanted and did/were you able to request your base and did you get what you asked for? I know that nothing is guaranteed, I'm just looking for my best shot. I took the quick little asvab pretest on the army's website. Pretty short assessment but I did get a 71. Does that help any? I don't know how the scoring works.

I'm 29, smoke and would really like to quit and get myself back into shape. Got a a bit of a gut from spending the last couple years in a chair babysitting computers, but I think I could get worked back into shape fairly easily. Weight hasn't really ever been an issue for me as long as I kept moving all day. How are they about someone who is a bit out of shape - do you have to meet pretty strict requirements? I'm 5-10, probalby around 210-215.

How has being in the service and having a family worked out for you?

We've got 2 dogs and 2 cats. Would we have to live off base if we kept them?

Really, my wife and I are just ready for a change. She's pretty content in her work, but bored. I switch jobs every couple years because I get bored. Always good jobs though - don't take my nick as an IQ score or anything. But now the company that I work for is being bought out and my job is more than likely going to be zapped. I just want some stability and structure. Work around here in slim to none. I've been looking for a new job, but the unemployment is out of control. Very slim chances. I just want to know that I'll be able to take care of my family and I think that the service would give me what I need to do just that - consistently. How have they been overall in working with your family? Schools, housing, child care, etc..?

Thanks for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 07:47 AM

439 posts, read 1,233,229 times
THis is going to be LONG , but hope it helps

I work with National Guard Recruiter so while no active Army as you are talking close enough. Your ASVAb will determine alot as far as job selection goes obviously higher means open to more jobs. As far as picking a job I belive in Active Army you have to tell the guys at MEPS what you want and stick to it. I have heard they try to get you to do other things dont know how true it is. After basic while attending AIT, advanced Individual training. you get what is a called a dream sheet. You put down your top 3 bases you'd like to live at. I have heard some guys getting their first choice some guys went to a base they didnt even list, thats why it is a dream sheet they say.

As far as height weight standards I think for 5-10 the maxium weight for your age is 189-190. Not to hard to drop just run and watch what you eat.

My sister is married to a Captain and they love it. They have alot of friends and the military has a great sense of community I think. Since I am in the Guard im not active but still I have freinds in my unit.

My wife and I have 3 cats and 2 dogs so I know whewre your coming from. I am trying to switch to active and from what I have heard most bases allow only 2 animals total to live on base. Off bases just depends on what the landlord wants. Here is a link to a site that you can buy or rent houses from military people, i found it helpful ( MilitarybyOwner.com - Real Estate near U.S. Military Bases)
If you have a college degree you can become and officer, or if you enlist you can get in as an E-4. I think the military's healthcare is awesome, it's called tri care if you look it up I think you'd find it is pretty good.

In need some more info from you to better answer some more questions you are sure to have.

Are you thinking of officer over enlisted? What type of jobs intrest you? etc.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:57 AM

Thanks for the well thought out post, most appreciated.

I was looking at the veterinary programs in the army. The air force had a weather apprentice program that looked interesting. The sere training program looked interesting too. I grew up in the sticks so that looked pretty interesting. I'd like to eventually end up in Alaska one way or the other so that would come in handy while looking for more adventurous work after the service.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:49 AM

439 posts, read 1,233,229 times
Well theres always Infantry, outside most of the time. As you advance up in Rank you will be able to better pick your post. My Brother in law was offered Hawaii, but they turned it down. The military though isnt like a 9-5. Some people have problems taking roders or cant get used to the discipline, not saying you are one of those people but it is something you have to factor in. Myself I think it's cool I get to wear Cammo's to work something I always wanted to do since I was a kid.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:24 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,356,000 times
Don't forget the Coast Guard has stations in Alaska, too. My son leaves for Ketchikan this week. USCG does a pretty good job of honoring requests for station postings.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:29 PM

Infantry would be my LAST choice. I like the idea of the millitary and hope they whip me into shape, but if I don't ever touch a gun with the intention of killing someone or getting shot at I'd be a happy camper. I'd be the guy who shats himself just before curling up into a ball and playing dead. he he he... Just kidding about the playing dead part. But really, if there is anything that I could do to avoid being in a war zone I'd do it. Don't like the idea of the whole thing and don't agree with what we're doing in the middle east. But if I was told that's what I HAD to do, I guess I'd kill me some folks. Great way to get rid of pent up frustration I guess. Better them than me.

Thanks again.

Anyone else out there with other input?

Old 06-03-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Don't forget the Coast Guard has stations in Alaska, too. My son leaves for Ketchikan this week. USCG does a pretty good job of honoring requests for station postings.
I looked into that, but I'm too old. Just found out after poking around this morning that AF won't take me because of my age either. Looking like the army... Either way, I need it - they got it.

Thanks CM - I'm from MI too.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:00 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,224,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassPipe View Post
Infantry would be my LAST choice. I like the idea of the millitary and hope they whip me into shape, but if I don't ever touch a gun with the intention of killing someone or getting shot at I'd be a happy camper. I'd be the guy who shats himself just before curling up into a ball and playing dead. he he he... Just kidding about the playing dead part. But really, if there is anything that I could do to avoid being in a war zone I'd do it. Don't like the idea of the whole thing and don't agree with what we're doing in the middle east. But if I was told that's what I HAD to do, I guess I'd kill me some folks. Great way to get rid of pent up frustration I guess. Better them than me.

Thanks again.

Anyone else out there with other input?
Well, I have some news for you. If you enlist in the Army or AF, and get stationed in Alaska, you will certainly end-up in the Middle east.

Veteran, USAF (retired)

Old 06-03-2008, 11:46 PM

Hey Ray, why is that? Is it more of a training facillity?

Old 06-04-2008, 12:15 AM

20,296 posts, read 37,224,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassPipe View Post
Hey Ray, why is that? Is it more of a training facillity?
Sort of. It has been that way since I retired in the '90s. It's also extremely tough on your family when TDY, perhaps because of the extreme environment, specially in the interior. The divorce rate is quite high sometimes, too. I was very lucky to have as wife the nicest person, other than my mother, I have ever known. She raised my two daughters, and our two sons. We have been married for over 25 years now, and she still is quite a pretty redhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska