Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 03:49 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,948,962 times

Advertisements

Unless you're a veggie... beef jerky is always good road food. You need some protein to balance out all those sugary carbs! Cheese cubes work pretty well if you keep them in a zip baggy in the cooler. The other thing that has always worked are those small tins of tuna fish... just make some small bags of mayo (mayo won't go bad in only a week) with chopped celery and onions so you can dump the fish in and squish it up for sandwiches or crackers. Hobo chicken can be good too... just stick a leg or two, half an onion and a potato in some tinfoil and then stick it on your engine for a 50 miles or so. When it smells all yummy through your vents, it's good to go!

I've managed to drive cross country and up to AK and back a few times and never stopped once to eat in a restaurant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 03:51 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times
Default Question re Ft. St. John

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
Take cans of Spam and some MRE's.

ETA: I've done the drive 7 times, and my wife has done it twice. When I'm alone, I don't use hotels. I'm frugal that way. (My wife says I'm cheap, not frugal.)

But, one of the times she was with me, we stayed at a hotel in Ft. St. John, that was only $30 per night, with a full breakfast in the morning. Next time, I'm staying there, even if I'm alone.
We will be driving through Canada and Ft. St. John is where we are going to stop for a night; how long ago was it that the price was $30 per night?

Old 06-06-2008, 08:09 PM

763 posts, read 2,261,267 times
I don't remember if it was when we did the drive last winter or the summer before that. I think it was last winter because there were some buses that had been broken into at the hotel down the road, and we were pulling a trailer with supplies, but at the present, it strikes me as odd that there would be tour buses in the winter.

Either way, within the last couple of years.

If I remember, I'll ask my wife what hotel it was. It wasn't all new and fancy, but it was clean, and the service was friendly.

The worst drive I ever had was a few years back that had all the forest fires. Even here in Homer, the sky was blanketed all summer long. But, after we passed Ft. St. John, there were a few fires, but several more started. We pulled over to sleep, and lightning hit about 30 yards from the car with another fire started. I had a broken leg, so couldn't attempt to do anything, no cell phone, and 100 miles to the next pay phone. We tried to stop again, with more lightning strikes. We ended up driving from Ft. St. John to just north of Palmer without stopping. (And because I'm 6'9" and my wife is 5'3", and my car was permanently set for me, my wife could not even relieve me for driving.)

Old 06-06-2008, 08:25 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Quote:
We ended up driving from Ft. St. John to just north of Palmer without stopping. (And because I'm 6'9" and my wife is 5'3", and my car was permanently set for me, my wife could not even relieve me for driving.)
I hope you didn't have a stick shift.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:29 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times
Quote:
I don't remember if it was when we did the drive last winter or the summer before that. I think it was last winter because there were some buses that had been broken into at the hotel down the road, and we were pulling a trailer with supplies, but at the present, it strikes me as odd that there would be tour buses in the winter.

Either way, within the last couple of years.

If I remember, I'll ask my wife what hotel it was. It wasn't all new and fancy, but it was clean, and the service was friendly.

The worst drive I ever had was a few years back that had all the forest fires. Even here in Homer, the sky was blanketed all summer long. But, after we passed Ft. St. John, there were a few fires, but several more started. We pulled over to sleep, and lightning hit about 30 yards from the car with another fire started. I had a broken leg, so couldn't attempt to do anything, no cell phone, and 100 miles to the next pay phone. We tried to stop again, with more lightning strikes. We ended up driving from Ft. St. John to just north of Palmer without stopping. (And because I'm 6'9" and my wife is 5'3", and my car was permanently set for me, my wife could not even relieve me for driving.)
Yes that had to be a terrible drive; broken leg, fires, geeez.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:32 PM

763 posts, read 2,261,267 times
It was an automatic.

But, we got to see lots of wildlife in the road trying to escape the fires.

We just couldn't see much of the scenery.

We did 5,000 miles in 4.5 days, and the first 2.5 days we did some tourist stuff. We basically drove 1700 miles in 2 days, and a lot of it was not at a high rate of speed because of low visibility, so we ended up driving for about 40 hours straight, stopping only for fuel when it was available. Even that was scarce, as many stations were being evacuated. (With 2 gas cans, I was able to get about 450 miles without a station at one point.)

Always carry extra fuel.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:41 PM

Great advice! What was the first thing you did when you got out of the car?

Old 06-06-2008, 08:45 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
He stretched...

Old 06-06-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
He stretched...
So are you at work?

Old 06-06-2008, 09:04 PM

143 posts, read 564,179 times
Smile The Midwest!

Hey all! I didn't actually make it that far today - got a late start out of Little Rock so I'm only in St. Josephs, MO. Not much to report, besides some rain and landscape that I know like the back of my hand...

South Dakota tomorrow - along with the Badlands and Wind Cave National Park(where I worked for a bit about 8 years ago and haven't seen since). Can't wait for that!

Gas prices: $3.86 in Arkansas and $3.74 just South of Kansas City.

Now some less than great pictures - I have a cheap 4mp camera that's a little worse for wear.

Rain!

Looking back - I should have stopped to take a proper picture rather than just pop the camera out the window. I'd just come out of a storm and the clouds were tremendous.

Kansas City, MO - Just before I got slightly turned around and circled the city for about 10 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska