Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 02:41 AM

763 posts, read 2,261,267 times

Advertisements

It's worth the extra two hours to go to Devil's Tower.

There is a highway that circles around and doesn't add quite as much time to your trip, if you're passing through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 06:56 AM

143 posts, read 564,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Keep in mind, you don't have to mess with the hills of Montana and the major cities through it, too. The highway is nice in Saskatchewan and there was a lot of places that they were rebuilding last summer, should be nicer now. I never did like going through Calgary and finding my way from highway to highway in Edmonton. This route I showed you takes you right across the main highway straight through town. I've done the Alcan 13 times now.

Okay! Okay! You got me. I'm taking this route - I guess it just makes me a bit nervous because I'd already planned to take the other. But I'm doing it - I hope to make my way up to the border by tonight, and then hit it first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks for the advice!

Old 06-12-2008, 09:24 PM

Talking Here in ALASKA!

I've made it! Actually made it to Alaska last night, but stayed in Tok. It was such a great drive that I can't wait to expound upon but I'm on a friends computer so I can't even upload pictures. So I'm just going to hit the highlights right now.

1. Wind Cave was beautiful. And quite a bit like I remembered it. I hiked in on a trail about three miles in to find the bridge I helped create about 8 years ago this month. Sadly, it isn't used anymore. The stream that ran beneath it dried up and they ended up moving the trail over about 100 yards away. But the bridge is still sturdy after 8 years.

2. The gas prices nearly crippled me, but it was worth it. I never let my tank get below a half a tank on the Alcan - that might have been overly paranoid but a lot of the places listed on signs aren't open. It just helped keep me calm - not to mention I didn't cry as hard when filling the tank!

3. The Alcan is amazing. I can't get over how beautiful it was, and how untouched by the outside world it seems to be. Yes, there is TONS of construction as they renovate the old highway, but beyond that, the itty bitty towns and outcroppings seemed to be a great throwback from decades back. Which appeals to me much more than the new and improved stuff. (Yes, I get that this is coming from a Target Manager...)

4. Customs was a breeze on both ends. They asked me a few questions and sent me on my way. Of course they failed to see the glass jar with the fish in it in one of my cup holders and the large box full of plants in the back... But I think I have one of those trusting faces, as I've made trips through the Canadian Border easier for some shady friends I had back in college. heh.

4. Tok is the only place I ran into trouble. I stayed at a lodge last night since I had some time to kill and I'd been living in my truck for far too long, and in the morning I came out to not the prettiest sight. Someone had cut all the straps holding my desk down to the back of my truck. They'd ripped open the tarp to see what was beneath. Unfortunately for them they only found a 14 dollar desk that I got from a thrift store. Otherwise, my truck was find. Luckily for me.

More to follow, but right now I'm going to catch some sleep so I can hunt down a great place to live tomorrow. Hello fellow Alaskans! Great to finally be in this amazing state!

Old 06-12-2008, 09:56 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
I'm glad that you made it safely Sarah. We're looking forward to pictures & more commentary.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:58 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Great news, Sarah. Was anxious to hear from you.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:44 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Sarah, welcome to Alaska! Which route did you end up taking?

Old 06-13-2008, 07:13 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Wow, that trip seemed to go by fast...and I was even't the one taking it! Awesome that you made it unscathed, looking forward to more pics & good luck apartment hunting!

Old 06-13-2008, 09:44 AM

276 posts, read 848,857 times
Glad to hear that you made it safely. And like karfar said, it seemed to take you no time at all. Can't wait to see your pictures.

Faith

Old 06-13-2008, 11:20 AM

109 posts, read 289,368 times
Welcome to Wasilla!

Like I always tell people, it's pretty much exactly like Lahaina, HI, only without the palm trees

If you can't find anything, or need some advice, shoot me a pm, and I will be glad to help out...........

Old 06-14-2008, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Sarah, welcome to Alaska! Which route did you end up taking?
Ah here was one snag to my trip. I had just left Wind Cave and heading up the way you showed me when I finally got reception on my phone. My friends already up in Alaska had left me a message - the first time I'd gotten to talk to them in a awhile. They had left a suitcase at a friend of theirs in Wyoming and had asked if I could grab if for them if I was in the area. Seeing as how they offered me a free room here in their house until I locate a place of my own... I was guilted into almost an extra days drive for their bag...

So I ended up taking most of the route I originally planned anyway. Luckily, I got through Calgary and Edmonton it a few minutes, no problems there. And still a beautiful drive - I saw the Big Horn Mountains which were as gorgeous as I remembered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska