Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 10:34 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,513,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
There is a brownie display upstairs in the Dimond Mall. Along with a giant bull moose and various waterfowl.
Mmmmmmm......brownies......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 06:51 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,655,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Mmmmmmm......brownies......
You city folks... :-)

Just be aware of a slightly different view of "brownies". As Warptman will tell you, if you translate "brown bear" to Yup'ik they'll tell you the right word is "carayuk" (that pronounced something like char-EYE-uk).

But if you ask what "carayuk" means... the answer is "monster". And they mean that in the sense of God Awful Horrible Unpredictable Murderous Monster.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:38 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Sounds like someone took that story on eRumors to heart. There is a mounted Kodiak in the airport somewhere, and in Kodiak itself there is a Boone and Crockett record bear mounted in the middle of the lobby of the First National Bank [that's why everyone calls it 'the bear bank']. For more accurate information, google them and read about them in Wikipedia. The boars do stand up to a height of 10-12 feet, and weigh up to 3/4 of a ton.
It's not that they stand that tall, that is what the hide is squared after being outstretched out for tanning (not a tight stretched either). Any bear that squares over ten foot, is considered a record sized bear.

Bears, Spring vs. Fall - The Alaska hunting forum

Regardless, they will appear to be much taller than that when you walk up to one face to face. As far as standing with it's hide still intact, a standing "Monster" bear can still be over seven to eight feet high. But when they are on all fours, they may be in excess of four feet high at the shoulders, which still is a massive bear no matter how you want to measure him.

Katmai National Park is where most of the record bears are at now. The really big ones on Kodiak have been hunted to where the gene pool tends to reflect the smaller bears since nobody wants to hunt a "Little Bear", the Katmai Bears aren't hunted (Legally) and they still have the "Giant" gene pool there, which extends out to the tip of the Mainland before the Aleutians.

Oh, and when you do stand next to a mounted standing bear, in most displays I have seen, they add another foot to the height by raising the base on which the bear stands.

The biggest mounted bear I recall seeing is at the Museum at UAF Fairbanks.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:34 PM

3 posts, read 5,210 times
I saw a giant Kodiak in the airport when we landed in 1994. He stood 18' tall . I am 6'1". I came up to his hip. He weighed 2000 lb.s. His front legs looked about 6' long. His claws looked more than 6" long and his head was as big around as a 55 gallon drum. I thought about getting back on the plane. I have looked ,but, never seen a picture of him. I took some ,pics of him, but never found them. This is a true story though I wouldn't expect too many people to believe it. I wouldn't.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:42 PM

67 posts, read 99,460 times
The bank bear in Kodiak was in the old Bank of Alaska I believe? It was the #3 B&C at the time it was shot. This was back in 79 or 80 when I saw it.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:53 AM

My wife agrees with Totek that it was in the bank. I have a very good memory , It's just kind of short.I am going to check with relatives there and see if I can come up with a picture or postcard. There has got to be one somewhere.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:51 AM

i believe there was a bear in the bank. There wsa another at the museum. there was one in Cy's hunting store. However , the largest one was in the airport. I think he does'nt show up as a B&C record , because, he may have been a zoo bear.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:24 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigar7 View Post
Here is a pick of one bear in the Anchorage airport. I am not sure of its breed.
That's a grizzly bear.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:55 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,866,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by degerman View Post
have you got any photos of it
It is inside the concourse and last time we were there it was before we got a digital camera, sorry. That Polar Bear is really huge!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:54 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Sounds like someone took that story on eRumors to heart. There is a mounted Kodiak in the airport somewhere, and in Kodiak itself there is a Boone and Crockett record bear mounted in the middle of the lobby of the First National Bank [that's why everyone calls it 'the bear bank']. For more accurate information, google them and read about them in Wikipedia. The boars do stand up to a height of 10-12 feet, and weigh up to 3/4 of a ton.

A "ten foot" bear may only stand seven or eight feet high when he is still wearing his hide when he is next to you and how much fat he has stored, but that is still enough to make you crap your pants regardless...

Most of the standing Mounts you see are also elevated about a foot or more to make them look bigger.

How to measure a bear hide:

Measure from the longest claw on the right paw to the longest claw on the left paw. Then measure from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail. Add the two measurements and divide by 2 and you have what the bear squared. Source(s): http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska