Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:09 PM

25 posts, read 59,954 times

Advertisements

Husband's transfer has offically came through. We are Alaska bound. We are heading to Juneau. I have discovered it's only accessible by air and water. We are looking at filling our Nissan Xterra with the most important stuff we need and shipping it to Juneau and we are flying up with our 3 cats. any advice or suggestions? I've been to ANC once in Aug and was shocked at the much cooler temps than the Midwest. My husband has never been. What are we in for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 09:35 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,196,017 times
Rain, rain, and some more rain.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:46 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,997,588 times
Looks like rain but on a brighter note you'll be leaving those triple digit summer days behind you.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:58 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,560,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSININDY View Post
Husband's transfer has offically came through. We are Alaska bound. We are heading to Juneau. I have discovered it's only accessible by air and water. We are looking at filling our Nissan Xterra with the most important stuff we need and shipping it to Juneau and we are flying up with our 3 cats. any advice or suggestions? I've been to ANC once in Aug and was shocked at the much cooler temps than the Midwest. My husband has never been. What are we in for?
What state are you leaving behind, Csinindy?

Old 06-27-2008, 11:25 PM

822 posts, read 2,403,234 times
In Juneau
Temperatures have been in the upper fifties for highs for the past few days with lows in the high forties, skies have been overcast for the last three days, rain today! We did have some beautiful clear weather for a couple of days a while back though.
Welcome to Juneau!

Old 06-28-2008, 01:39 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,898,996 times
Default What to expect

I'm going to break out of the mold and say... non-stop wild partying. That's right, you heard it here first. We use the rain as a front so people don't realize that we spend all day partying like animals.

Wow, I'm really not all that sure why I said that.

But seriously, the best advice I have for you is to avoid Alaska Air at all costs. I'm serious, avoid them like you would avoid the black plague carried by Osama Bin Ladin. They will rob ya blind, and probably take your cats too, when you're not looking. You'd be much better off loading all that stuff into your car, and getting on the ferry. It takes a little longer, but you're allowed to bring nail clippers, small children, and they don't charge you $100 for an extra bag.

Also, never buy a house sight-unseen. If need be, rent for a few months, there's quite a few two bedroom apartments on the market (although you might have a harder time with the cats- I know MacKinnon apts takes animals but I think their biggest is a 1 bedroom) and trust me, you do not want to end up stuck with a house that looked great on the internet but turned out to be constructed using driftwood and hot glue.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:02 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,493,163 times
Default amen, sister!

What you can expect is rain. I've personally never been to a place where it rains more often than Juneau. Only recently did I have a chance to see the top couple thousand feet of the mountains that surround the city, they've always been buried in clouds and rainshowers on my previous visits. You can check the temps on lots of internet weather sites, but it's much, much cooler in the summers than the midwest. Ironically, winters might be a bit warmer than you're used to if you're from the upper midwest, since the climate in JNU is moderated by the proximity to the ocean.

I'll second that house-buying advice from Xaat. Never, ever, (did I mention ever?) buy a house or land in Alaska (or anywhere, for that matter, but especially up here) until you set foot on it in person first.

You'd be shocked and amazed at how good realtors and sellers are at cropping out and choosing viewpoints for their online ads, systemically excluding all the funky, ugly, and just plain bad factors affecting their properties. You expect them to lie like dogs on the written description but most home buyers can figure out that code after doing a bit of shopping around (dollhouse=small, fixer-upper=squatters ghetto, handyman special=decades of total neglect, etc.). What you don't expect is how well they can lie to you with photos.

Coming from the midwest you can expect a SEVERE case of sticker shock as well, decent single-family detached houses on fairly level, good sized lots in OK neighborhoods start in the mid 300s, and really nice places easily top a half mil. Do some looking around on the internet to get a general impression, and then use it as a basis for a reality check once you get there. If you're coming from Chicago or a more expensive area it's no big deal. If you've been living in suburban Iowa or similar you're not gonna get a lot for your money up here compared to what you're used to.

Check the archive of past posts for advice on buying property in Juneau. There are some factors you might not expect (like avalanche areas) that bear consideration in the home buying adventure.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:45 AM

7,529 posts, read 5,778,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
I'm going to break out of the mold and say... non-stop wild partying. That's right, you heard it here first. We use the rain as a front so people don't realize that we spend all day partying like animals.
SSSSSssshhhh - Now everyone is going to find out! Xa'at - you and I definitely have to meet for coffee when I get up there....you make me laugh!

To the original poster - Big Congrats - and hope to see you up there in the next few months (we just put our house on the market to make the move up) This is a wonderful site and check out the old postings, too.

Dawn
Crossfire's wife

Old 06-28-2008, 08:17 PM

We've moving from Indiana. We lived for some time in Key West, FL and are used to high price small islands that are heavily visited by tourists. The ferry is booked solid so taking our car and boating up isn't really an option, unfortunately. We have spent the past 7 days driving our to WA state to regroup for the final push. We can't stand the idea of driving another hour in the truck and just want to get there. Any ideas?

Old 06-28-2008, 08:19 PM

Thx for the advice. So what's the story with Alaska Airlines? Personal experience? Do you have any other ideas for getting up there fast? The ferry is booked. We have to be there by the 6th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska