Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,893 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family is taking the Alaska Marine Highway from Bellingham to Skagway this summer. Along the way, the ferry makes a two-hour stop in Ketchikan. I'd love to look around the town during that stop, although of course we wouldn't have much time. It looks like the ferry dock is a bit outside town. Would it be realistic to grab a taxi or bus and get a quick tour of Ketchikan, then zip back to the ferry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 11:07 PM

273 posts, read 587,340 times
You'll be five minutes from downtown by cab. It will be a short tour into town, given your timeframe, but it can be done.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:13 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
The ferry dock is in town. Call a cab and you can get a nice tour in less than an hour. A&P Grocery is across the street and to the left. About 2 blocks away. Safeway is a right turn and about 1/4 mile.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:04 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times
I've done it. What I did last time I floated through was took a cab down to Creek Street, then walked to downtown from there, had breakfast at a cute little diner, then took a short walk along the docks. I was intending to then cab back, but I had some extra time so I just walked all the way back to the ferry. Of course, this was like seven in the morning at the beginning of January and nothing but that diner and Safeway was open, but it was still a nice walk, and the guy who drove my taxi was like a third generation Ketchikaner, so he told me lots of stories about the history and stuff. All in all definitely a nice little diversion from the ferry.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:46 PM

3 posts, read 11,278 times
A lifelong dream of mine is to live in Alaska. Never did it! Now I'm 65 and retired. I would really like to take the ferry up from Bellingham or Seattle, one way, to "somewhere", rent a car and drive to Anchorage. Then fly back to Albuquerque. Could any of you good folks give me an idea of what might be the best way to accomplish this?? Thanks for any input.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:18 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eineye View Post
A lifelong dream of mine is to live in Alaska. Never did it! Now I'm 65 and retired. I would really like to take the ferry up from Bellingham or Seattle, one way, to "somewhere", rent a car and drive to Anchorage. Then fly back to Albuquerque. Could any of you good folks give me an idea of what might be the best way to accomplish this?? Thanks for any input.
First place I'd look is here, the Alaska Marine Highway page:

Alaska Marine Highway System :: Alaska DOT&PF (http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.html - broken link)

You can schedule stops in various cities by buying port to port fares, but you are subject to the ferry schedule and can spend several days at each city. If you can get to Prince Rupert, they had a See Alaska fare, that allowed three stops on your route, for a cheaper price. There's no guatantee they'll offer it again though. They also offer a senior fare discount, so let them know you qualify.

For car rentals, I don't believe you can do what you want. I think most rentals in Haines or Shagway are local area rentals only. Your best bet would be to fly from Juneau to Anchorage or take the monthly ferry Juneau to Whittier and rent a car in Anchorage. You can then drive to other locations in Alaska and return the car in Anchorage and fly out.

Depending on how much time you have, it might be better to do it in two trips, one in southeast and then central Alaska.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:08 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,807,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eineye View Post
Fly into Sea-Tac. Catch the "Airport Shuttle" to Bellingham, they will drop you right off at the Alaska Ferry Terminal in the Fairhaven district of Bellingham...an alternative is to catch Amtrak from Seattle to Bellingham and the train station is directly across the street from the Alaska Ferry Terminal

With a bit of advanced planning for the ferry ride north can could do stop-overs at Ketchikan, Sitka, and Juneau....your final destination would be upper Lynn Canal at both Haines and Skagway....from either you can bus to Anchorage, from Haines is the easiest, from Skagway you would travel to Whitehorse in the Yukon and then on to Anchorage

There you'd want to get a rental car or better yet a van....south to the Kenai Peninsula, Homer & Seward and then back through Anchorage and up Denali to Fairbanks

Budget plenty of time...maybe double what you were thinking, Fall would be a great time to do this trip....

Old 08-12-2008, 11:41 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Oh, I see that Captain Crunch has moved to Alaska from DC...

Old 08-12-2008, 08:54 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,807,220 times
you noticed...lost my job with Uncle Ted

I'll have to spare ya all the details due to the FBI gag-order.....rather not have to spend any jail time with Ted

Old 08-15-2008, 03:29 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
It's good to know you're finally off the government dole, Captain. So are you looking for work? I know where they need a fish cutter....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska