Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 01:00 AM

395 posts, read 1,717,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollytamale View Post
While health care in Canada isn't free it certainly is not 42% of our wages. If your employer doesn't cover benefits partially or fully the following applies- this is for BC of course, however I am sure the costs are similar across the country -
In B.C., premiums are payable for MSP coverage and are based on family size and income. The monthly rates are:[indent]$54 for one person
$96 for a family of two
$108 for a family of three or more
Molly', tell me, if I were self employed, what would I be paying for health care
say, for a family of 4 in BC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 04:09 PM

4 posts, read 10,460 times
Ram it would depend on your yearly income. It seems as though the rates I quoted in the earlier thread are the highest rates one would pay. I am not an expert just reading what it says on the government website.
Five levels of assistance, based on adjusted net income for the previous year, are available. The rates are stated at the bottom of the following page. website is MSP - Premiums. Ray, sorry for any confusion I may have caused .

Old 07-06-2008, 06:29 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,948,962 times
Just a little tidbit my sister sent me from Texas. There is currently a man on trial for shooting (and killing) a man robbing his neighbor's house while they were out of town.

At this point, the judge is considering declaring it a mistrial, because there is little chance that the jury will ever reach a unanimous ruling. Since Texas is a gun-advocating state and their laws allow you to shot anyone trespassing on your property (if you didn't invite them, you can assume they mean you harm). 9 local jurors feel that the man was doing his legal and civic duty by protecting his neighbor's property and his community. Only 3 feel that the man did anything immoral or illegal (and they are all originally from gun-fearing states).

Now, an interesting tidbit... TX has one of the lowest crime rates in the US. Yes, murder is pretty high in Dallas, and you have some other violent assault issues around the borders and the larger cities... but the UT & Baylor studies (which include interviewing convicts) have concluded that criminals are much less likely to commit a crime against person and property when they have a real and probable likelihood of encountering an armed defender with the right to shot on sight.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:42 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
There isn't a correlation btw gun laws/ gun ownership rates and crime.

Mexico has very strict gun laws and very high crime. States like West Virginia and Vermont have very loose gun laws and very low crime.

The overall US crime is due to low income immigrants (speaking historically, not just Hispanics today) who move here for jobs. This immigrants are competing for the same jobs as African Americans, which creates conflict and crime.

Middle class homogeneous areas (where most Americans live) are some of the safest places on the globe.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:58 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

Mexico has very strict gun laws and very high crime. States like West Virginia and Vermont have very loose gun laws and very low crime.

The overall US crime is due to low income immigrants (speaking historically, not just Hispanics today) who move here for jobs. This immigrants are competing for the same jobs as African Americans, which creates conflict and crime.

Middle class homogeneous areas (where most Americans live) are some of the safest places on the globe.
That is mostly true anywhere around the globe, even in Mexico. Stay a way from the boarder towns....... When the Plan to combine all of North America as one union comes to pass , things will change. They are working on it now....stay tuned !

Old 07-06-2008, 06:59 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,948,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Actually, I quite agree with this! There are places where guns are hard to get and the crime is low. Places where guns are hard to get and the crime is high. Places where the guns are easy to get and the crime is low. And places where the guns are easy to get and the crime is high.

It's an orthogonal metric - the variable affecting the result are not directly correlated. You'd have to factor in all sorts of random variables to determine if gun control or leniency in a particular area would increase, decrease, or not affect the crime rate in that area. Since these variables are not constant or consistent from region to region, there is no solution or statistical data that applies universally to all situations.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:25 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Canadians are very nice people.
Perhaps when they aren't taking US citizens as hostages with support of their government, or plotting to blow up the trans-Alaskan pipeline.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:45 AM

4 posts, read 10,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Perhaps when they aren't taking US citizens as hostages with support of their government, or plotting to blow up the trans-Alaskan pipeline.
Hmmm - I did a search on google and did find one Canadian who was charged with plotting to blow up the pipe line Canadian pleads guilty in oil pipeline bomb plot | Markets | Reuters- I also found this PA man indicted for planning to aid Al Qaeda to blow up Trans- Alaska Pipeline - Militant Islam Monitor - Militant Islam Monitor and this Planet Ark - Man convicted in Alaska pipeline-shooting case

Old 07-07-2008, 08:10 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Well, the ones I worked with, as well as those in the border towns I lived for years are very nice, just like Americans along the Canadian border and small towns in the US. I do agree with you about what you have said above.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:27 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
So many people in the US look at Canada , and Canadians , with such disdain. I can't understand why , we are so much alike , in many ways........ I hate to say it , but from my observation , it seems most of the hate is coming from the right wingers in our midst. About the only province they like , is Alberta. I wonder , oil ? , right leaning Provincial Government ?......some people have small minds , and , narrow thinking , they all listen to Rush , so , maybe thats where the hateful comments started.....? ( My apologies to the Righties who don't think that way , many are friends of mine )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska