Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 08:39 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times

Advertisements

Remember Ray, he bought land in Alaska, so he in his own little world makes him know everything about the state. He isn't going to use a chainsaw, a snowmachine, a ATV, or a generator when he moves here. He's going to hike to town every other day to get groceries, no wait, he's going to grow a winter's supply of food for himself on his farm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 08:42 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snkalaska View Post
Los Angeles
It's impossible to dialog with anybody who can come up with such a dumb idea. But I will take the bait. "LA is wasteland"? How come the leftist liberals, environmentalists, and bunny huggers all over CA allowed that to happen?

Old 07-11-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Remember Ray, he bought land in Alaska, so he in his own little world makes him know everything about the state. He isn't going to use a chainsaw, a snowmachine, a ATV, or a generator when he moves here. He's going to hike to town every other day to get groceries, no wait, he's going to grow a winter's supply of food for himself on his farm.
You are right,of course. It just ticks me off when we have people coming to Alaska, and right away they know everything there is to be known about Alaskans. I have only been here for less that 30 years, and I don't dare to think that some folks out in a village in the middle of nowhere don't know what they want, specially when using a computer from the comfort of my home and all of its amenities.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:47 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Oh, I see. Some are so dumb that the oil companies have tricked them?

You are hardly an Alaskan, and already talking your lower-48 environmental BS.
Considering the people mindlessly spouting what the oil companies say on this thread, I'd say it's not so rare. Actually it's rather common for people to simply follow propaganda rather than think ("What good fortune for those in power that people do not think" -Hitler) on every issue, from the election to wars to the economy and on and on. It's disgusting, but it's been that way throughout history. Luckily, enough people (including those who would be most affected, like in Arctic Village) aren't just mindlessly spouting the garbage that has been posted so much in this thread.

And as for "environmental BS", not at all. I'm certainly not a big mindless supporter of "development" and such as many these days are but I'm actually probably in the middle as far as the environment goes, not too extreme either way (wait till some animal rights activist posts something and see how I respond, or better yet someone be sure to have a video camera when I bump into one sometime in person and somewhere unless they shredded it already like they probably do there's a petition to open more public lands up to selective logging mainly for firewood in VT with my name on it) but ANWR is one item where I've got an opinion, based on real science not politics and economics. The oil drilling propaganda fails. It's a settled matter to me as far as the science is concerned. There's no reason to drill, no justification for the damage it could do. Spend some time in the lower 48 and see where unlimited development leads. The lower 48 is precisely what Alaska will be someday.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Chernobyl a wasteland? Are there any people living nearby, or are they all dead? But lets assume that it's a wasteland...in that case, you have told me of one. Go ahead and tell me of another.
Tell the thousands who'll die of cancer and those who will have/had birth defects as a result of the pollution it's not a wasteland. And then there's the weird mutations in nature...

Old 07-11-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Want to start that conversation again? I'm not a city person, you should know that by now. Much different mindset between us. Lots of us crazy homesteading types interested in AK: :: Index

Old 07-11-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Tell the thousands who'll die of cancer and those who will have/had birth defects as a result of the pollution it's not a wasteland. And then there's the weird mutations in nature...
Tell me of one human-created "wasteland." I have never talked of thousands dying of cancer near nuclear plants, nor the millions of humans dying from abortions, car accidents, nor the thousands and thousands dying from war and pestilence in Africa, etc., just "wastelands."

Old 07-11-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Want to start that conversation again? I'm not a city person, you should know that by now. Much different mindset between us. Lots of us crazy homesteading types interested in AK: :: Index
You said yourself that you came from Vermont. Right? Perhaps you are carrying the same lower-48 attitude on your shoulders, right into Alaska?

Old 07-11-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Tell me of one human-created "wasteland." I have never talked of the thousand dying of cancer, nor the millions of humans dying from abortions, car accidents, etc., just "wastelands."
The area directly around Chernobyl was evacuated (too late though)because it was unsafe to live there. It still isn't though people are dumb enough to. I gave plenty of other examples...NYC, etc. Tell me, if all imports of supplies and water were stopped, could people survive in NYC given how it's developed now? Or would they be starving, dying of thirst, etc.? Another possible example: that town in OK that was completely evacuated because of the pollution/etc. recently. I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:59 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
I can see it now, by this time next year Ray and Arctic at a bar enjoying a beer reminiscing on how they argued in City-Data. "The good ole days."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska