Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Alaska: migration numbers, living conditions, better paying job, long distance drive, heating fuel

Old 08-02-2008, 01:40 PM

763 posts, read 2,263,198 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of people who talk about moving here, and a lot of advice being asked and being given. Sometimes, it sounds positive, sometimes negative.

It has been my opinion that anyone who moves here, makes it through one year and still likes it will either remain here, or if they have to move (job, family, etc.) they will always return.

Well, I saw some migration numbers yesterday, and here on the Kenai Peninsula, there were about 13,200 people who moved in and 13,050 who moved out. (Numbers are my approximation, as I don't feel like looking them up again.) That's a quarter of our population that is migrating every year.

This is why I always warn about the living conditions. Living here is not for everyone. In fact, I would say that living here is for very few people. But those few truly belong here.

So, next time I'm sounding negative, I'm not. I'm just trying to feel you out, and maybe save you some money on moving twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 06:22 PM

20,303 posts, read 37,259,238 times
A lot of people move here with a lot of expectations. For example, a better paying job, better housing or at least one that approximates what they are living behind, comparable cost of living, etc. Once they get here they realize that the cost of living up here is much higher than predicted, and it could take quite a long time to get a job that's good enough to pay for all the expenses, specially if they have children.

In most Alaska towns from Anchorage and vicinity to the interior, one must drive long distances to work and back. That's not a problem if one lands a good job the soonest one arrives here, but the good jobs are already taken by the local population. Also, most jobs require that one work not full-time (40 hours per week), but perhaps 32 hours. This way the employer does not have to provide the employee with full benefits.

The biggest hardship in the interior this year is the high price of heating fuel, and some folks who are retired or with fixed incomes are having difficulties. These folks have to decide on having food on the table, or staying warm. It has been estimated locally (around Fairbanks), that approximately 20,000 people will have moved out of Alaska by the time winter arrives.

Finally, quite a lot of people's homes around Fairbanks have been flooded during the recent rains. The Borough has declared a state of emergency, and I assume that the Governor will approve it very soon.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:12 PM

763 posts, read 2,263,198 times
Ironically, one of the things that drives up the cost of living is the in-migration that turns around and leaves. That's why I welcome anyone who truly belongs here, but if I can talk you out of it, you probably don't belong. And when I tell you negative things, I'm not making it up, but I put up with the negatives because I think it's well worth it. I will put up with the hardships to avoid the rat race, even though the rat race is much easier.

I just had a guest from Georgia, and he's from the country, and he told me that although he loves visiting, and plans on visiting again, he could never live here. His co-workers thought he was crazy for visiting. (And they think Captain's Coffee is too strong.)

Old 08-02-2008, 07:13 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,827,248 times
I think that whether someone "succeeds" or not in Alaska depends a lot on their reasons for going there. The people who come up just wanting to take what they can often find out that that's directly proportional to what they have to give and what they're willing to give.

Ray, I think that the national economy might just be beginning to crumble, and that's going to show first in the places where basic survival is the toughest.

I feel badly for the people affected by the floods and for those who have to leave their homes due to economic concerns.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:26 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,827,248 times
Quote:
I will put up with the hardships to avoid the rat race, even though the rat race is much easier.
Not for all of us...it really isn't. Living in Alaska, even when I lived behind a grizzly trail with no indoor plumbing--it was easier than this sometimes. Even though my Oregon home is in the mountains and my little hometown has pretty much been weeded out of weak types of people who need a lot of societal structure to survive--we still get a lot of weekenders from the other parts of the state, and all I can say about the rat race is that the rats seem to be lost in their maze these days. Yeah, I think in certain ways it's easier for most people, but I wonder for how much longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska