Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 01:01 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Fortunately, Wasilla's sales tax is capped at $12. To me, that qualifies as pretty much nothing.
Didn't they have a gasoline tax in Wasilla not too long ago? As fas as I remember, the sales tax in Wasilla was implemented to proportionally reduce property tax. Is it still functioning the same way?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 02:45 PM

165 posts, read 433,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Quickish question about Corporate Tax... if my husband and I form an LLC or S-Corp, to save ourselves from some of the liability issues inherent with Sole Proprietorship, would we have to pay Corp Taxes on all "business income" regardless of whether we actually make a net business profit or even pay ourselves a "salary"? Is there a better way to set up our farm than LLC or S-Corp that allows us to qualify for federal business deductions and amortization/depreciation without ending up paying Alaska Corp Tax?
I'm sure your question has been answered since you asked it in 2008, but my understanding from the Business Associations course I took was that if you have an S-Corp or LLC, you pay the individual tax rate like any other individual taxpayer, but if you have a C-Corp, you get double taxed and pay the federal and state (if there is one) corporate income tax. However, with a C-Corp I think you can deduct business expenses.

Best bet is to spend a little money upfront on a tax attorney or CPA for the correct info than have to pay much more later down the road. Or just do a lot of research to find your answer.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:25 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannie_h11250 View Post
How much is property tax in the Fairbanks North Star Burogh
2012 Fairbanks North Star Borough tax rates (in mills):

- areawide: 11.294
- non-areawide: 0.528 (economic development and emergency managment/EMS, levied outside the cities of Fairbanks and North Pole)
- solid waste: 1.237 (levied outside the City of Fairbanks)
- service area add-on: varies by area

See page 7 of http://www.co.fairbanks.ak.us/Financ...d%20Budget.pdf for more info on what each of the above categories means.

If the property is also located within the City of Fairbanks, there is an additional city mill rate of 5.734. If the property is within the City of North Pole, there is an additional city mill rate of 3.0.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:05 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times
Living in the City of Fairbanks your millage is 18.793. Are they any additional set fees in your property taxes?

Overall that is very close to what I pay here, although the value can only go up as much as the CPI or 3% whichever is LESS... Garbage and some other fees are set fees and not based on value though. Overall m millage is around 18.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:24 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,991 times
Found the actual FNSB Assembly resolution that set the 2012 mill rates - http://co.fairbanks.ak.us/meetings/r...2/r2012-24.pdf - they're slightly different than but pretty close to the ones in my last post. The resolution also shows all the service area mill rates.

http://www.fairbanksalaska.us/wp-con...-SCHEDULE1.pdf shows current City of Fairbanks fees. For example, garbage is $70 ($52 for seniors) per quarter per residence.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Found the actual FNSB Assembly resolution that set the 2012 mill rates - http://co.fairbanks.ak.us/meetings/r...2/r2012-24.pdf - they're slightly different than but pretty close to the ones in my last post. The resolution also shows all the service area mill rates.

http://www.fairbanksalaska.us/wp-con...-SCHEDULE1.pdf shows current City of Fairbanks fees. For example, garbage is $70 ($52 for seniors) per quarter per residence.
Ouch! It only costs me $5 per quarter to take my household trash to the landfill.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:47 AM

275 posts, read 579,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Ouch! It only costs me $5 per quarter to take my household trash to the landfill.
If I remember correctly, the rates for Fairbanks are for residential pickup. If you want residential trash pickup services here in the valley, the monthly rates from Alaska Waste are:

32 Gallon container, weekly pickup - $16.97 per month
64 Gallon container, weekly pickup - $22.00 per month
96 Gallon container, weekly pickup - $23.84 per month

Old 12-30-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetraveler View Post
If I remember correctly, the rates for Fairbanks are for residential pickup. If you want residential trash pickup services here in the valley, the monthly rates from Alaska Waste are:

32 Gallon container, weekly pickup - $16.97 per month
64 Gallon container, weekly pickup - $22.00 per month
96 Gallon container, weekly pickup - $23.84 per month
Thanks, but I will pass on residential trash pickup services. It costs $5 per pick-up load of household trash at the landfill (providing it is under 400 pounds). In three months time I produce approximately twelve 30-gallon bags of trash which fills my pick-up. Therefore, I pay around $20 per year to dispose of my trash.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:51 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Thanks, but I will pass on residential trash pickup services. It costs $5 per pick-up load of household trash at the landfill (providing it is under 400 pounds). In three months time I produce approximately twelve 30-gallon bags of trash which fills my pick-up. Therefore, I pay around $20 per year to dispose of my trash.
Something else: I believe that the Borough taxes (property tax) we already pay covers for the landfill maintenance and transfer stations' dumpsters. The trash pickup businesses are private companies.

I just take my trash to the dumpster site instead of having a smelly trashcan or two in front of the house for someone to take care of it.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Something else: I believe that the Borough taxes (property tax) we already pay covers for the landfill maintenance and transfer stations' dumpsters. The trash pickup businesses are private companies.

I just take my trash to the dumpster site instead of having a smelly trashcan or two in front of the house for someone to take care of it.
I just finished building an 8x8 shed for my household trash this past Spring. I use to keep it in the garage until I had a pick-up load, but that created a mouse/shrew/vole problem, and regular visitations from Peppe a wild northern saw-whet owl.

Now that I keep my trash in my shed, my mouse/shrew/vole problem has virtually disappeared, and I have not seen Peppe since this past Thanksgiving.

Before I discovered the solid-waste transfer point on Hollywood Boulevard, near Vine, I use to haul my trash all the way to the Palmer landfill. (I use to live in Hollywood, one block from Hollywood Boulevard, and about eight blocks from Vine in California. Strange that I would end up near Hollywood and Vine almost 3,500 miles away in Alaska. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska