Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 02:13 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,024,608 times

Advertisements

Would be cool to install one of those Trail Cameras in your shed to see if Peppe is frequenting the new diggs! They have some on sale at Great Northern Guns right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 03:34 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Would be cool to install one of those Trail Cameras in your shed to see if Peppe is frequenting the new diggs! They have some on sale at Great Northern Guns right now.
I think I am going to pick up an owl box and put it on my new trash shed. It may give Peppe and his mate a new home. Plus, the mice rip up the trash bags making it a pain to clean up when I make my trash run, so an owl's presence would certainly help in that regard.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:47 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Didn't they have a gasoline tax in Wasilla not too long ago? As fas as I remember, the sales tax in Wasilla was implemented to proportionally reduce property tax. Is it still functioning the same way?

Thanks.
Nope... No additional gasoline tax. The sales tax does allow the city to not tack on any additional property taxes. I live on the edge of city limits and the mill rate on my property tax is less than a friend of mine living across the street outside of city of limits. He pays extra for his Road Service and Fire Service area that I don't pay living inside city limits.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:59 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,201,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Nope... No additional gasoline tax. The sales tax does allow the city to not tack on any additional property taxes. I live on the edge of city limits and the mill rate on my property tax is less than a friend of mine living across the street outside of city of limits. He pays extra for his Road Service and Fire Service area that I don't pay living inside city limits.
Good thing, then. The property tax in the Fairbanks North Star Borough is quite high. While the mill rate does not seem that high, the high assessment value of property is what makes property tax expensive in here. For example, a $200K house sitting on a small parcel (under 1 acre) is around $3,000 per year. But a $200K house is not that large nor fancy in this area since the housing market has not dropped value like in other places.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:26 PM

261 posts, read 506,311 times
Alaskans traditionally don't pay much in taxes, and we also like to get a ton of money sent back to us from congress. God Bless you, Uncle Ted. You had that **** down.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:56 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,201,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
Alaskans traditionally don't pay much in taxes, and we also like to get a ton of money sent back to us from congress. God Bless you, Uncle Ted. You had that **** down.
Well, we do pay federal income taxes. On top of that we pay some of the same federal taxes all working Americans pay. For example, communication taxes (telephone and such), death taxes, gasoline tax at the pump; certain taxes associated to gifts, luxury items, guns and related equipment, licensing, and so on. But since over 65% of Alaska is owned by the Federal Government including military personnel and their families, a great portion of the money coming back is used to support government. And don't forget that the Federal Government is making a huge amount of money for every barrel of oil extracted, every ounce of gold mined, coal, and the rest in Federal or State lands. One can look and look all over the place for these numbers, but they are very hard to find.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:55 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times
Two things you cannot escape in the US -- Death and Taxes....

Old 12-31-2012, 10:24 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,057,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I think I am going to pick up an owl box and put it on my new trash shed. It may give Peppe and his mate a new home. Plus, the mice rip up the trash bags making it a pain to clean up when I make my trash run, so an owl's presence would certainly help in that regard.
Where do you plan on buying your owl box? I have some printed out plans and was going to build my own but just might go the easier route and buy one.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Two things you cannot escape in the US -- Death and Taxes....
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzzz01 View Post
Where do you plan on buying your owl box? I have some printed out plans and was going to build my own but just might go the easier route and buy one.
Probably at bestnest.com, they seem to have the widest selection. For example:

Coveside Saw-Whet, Screech Owl, & Kestrel House at BestNest.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska