Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 02:15 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times

Advertisements

Totally believe with women that the animals know the smell at that "time." I think I even read somewhere years ago, that women should not camp at that time if in an area with bears...I used to have a cat that would go into heat every month at that timeIf it wasn't bad enough for me, had to listen to the cat howl...She got fixed really fast!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 04:34 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Totally believe with women that the animals know the smell at that "time." I think I even read somewhere years ago, that women should not camp at that time if in an area with bears...I used to have a cat that would go into heat every month at that timeIf it wasn't bad enough for me, had to listen to the cat howl...She got fixed really fast!!!
That's quite funny, Grannyroost (not the pain you had to go through, but what you said about the cat)

Old 08-10-2008, 04:40 PM

LOL - is funny now, but wasn't then - she got to the point she would go midcycle at ovulation time for a few days, so every two weeks with the howling - and she was siamese to top it off -so vocal without any "outside" provocation!!! That cat is lucky to be alive, was about 15 years ago, and my best friend's sis took her because I couldn't have her when I moved - Just found out she still has her and is now driving truck from MN south to sometimes Mexico - and that whiny butt cat is a now a truck ***** and goes with - can I say that????

Old 08-10-2008, 04:42 PM

Guess I couldn't say that - I got bleeped -B@@ch!!!

Old 08-10-2008, 05:01 PM

The lady who got mauled tell the story about the bear attack. She is quite a tough woman, and lucky that it was not a predatory bear that attacked her:
newsminer.com • Woman mauled by grizzly recounts attack on Anchorage trail

Old 08-10-2008, 05:48 PM

She was brave, but was in Anchorage - a city- on a park trail and says
"I'm lucky," Feliz said from her hospital bed at Providence Alaska Medical Center on Saturday, less than 24 hours after the attack. "It was my fault. I shouldn't have been on that trail."

When we first came up here a year ago today, and rented the "1st" place - decided would not let my 10-year granddaughter go to school because only had one vehicle and not walking 1/2 mile to the road in the fall. After that saw many bears either by the creek or on the road. If walking down the road, would not have anywhere to go to get away, would not even trust the 4-wheeler to get her to the bus stop and back.

Where we are now - have not seen any bear, but the city dump is less than a mile away - come fall..... I would not walk on even our road without some kind of "protection," nor take two young girls with....

Old 08-10-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
She was brave, but was in Anchorage - a city- on a park trail and says
"I'm lucky," Feliz said from her hospital bed at Providence Alaska Medical Center on Saturday, less than 24 hours after the attack. "It was my fault. I shouldn't have been on that trail."

When we first came up here a year ago today, and rented the "1st" place - decided would not let my 10-year granddaughter go to school because only had one vehicle and not walking 1/2 mile to the road in the fall. After that saw many bears either by the creek or on the road. If walking down the road, would not have anywhere to go to get away, would not even trust the 4-wheeler to get her to the bus stop and back.

Where we are now - have not seen any bear, but the city dump is less than a mile away - come fall..... I would not walk on even our road without some kind of "protection," nor take two young girls with....
Be very careful if there are dumps nearby. According to several reports, some by Stephen Herrero (a very well known biologist and professor in Canada), human-habituated bears are the worst, specially the ones that hang around landfills and dumpsites. These could very well turn predatory as they look for food discarded by humans.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:26 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,024,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Photographer View Post
Just watched one go strolling past the dining room window. Barely had time to grab the camera and snap a quick picture:
Just saw another one walk by 5 minutes ago through the front yard. Only this one was BIG AND BROWN!

Didn't have time for a picture - to much excitement going for the shotgun instead!

Old 08-10-2008, 08:05 PM

That is why we just don't go for a walk anymore - not taking a chance and right now they are probably at the water, but give them a month or so - and don't let the kids or dogs in the yard unless an adult with them - I am probably more paranoid than shoud be - but betterer safe than sorry

Old 08-10-2008, 11:43 PM

1,331 posts, read 3,000,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Photographer View Post
Just saw another one walk by 5 minutes ago through the front yard. Only this one was BIG AND BROWN!

Didn't have time for a picture - to much excitement going for the shotgun instead!
Holy mackerel! Do you live right in Anchorage or in the outskirts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska