Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:01 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,019,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Holy mackerel! Do you live right in Anchorage or in the outskirts?
South Anchorage, up on the Hillside...

I think the bears must somehow know we are talking about them here.

Looks like APD just bagged another one, doesn't specify exactly where in Anchorage though:

KTUU.com | Alaska's news and information source | Police kill black bear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 12:07 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,999,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Photographer View Post
South Anchorage, up on the Hillside...

I think the bears must somehow know we are talking about them here.

Looks like APD just bagged another one, doesn't specify exactly where in Anchorage though:

KTUU.com | Alaska's news and information source | Police kill black bear
Wow. Be careful and keep a potent firearm handy.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:18 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,588 times
I've been getting conflicting reports about bear safety, hope you all can clear it up. I've always heard that blackies will normally spook and try to avoid you, and that browns are the ones that you have to watch for because they are very territorial. But I recently heard that blackies are really the ones you have to watch out for because they are known to actually stalk and predate humans... so fight the blackies and be submissive to a brown during confrontation.

I've had experience coming up on both out hiking and camping and used the same technique for both in the past... stand my ground, keep talking and don't act like food (i.e. don't run). I've been bluff-charged by a brown (and had to change my pants afterwards!), but every blackie I've encountered has taken off into the brush the minute I started talking and waving my arms. But those blackies were down in the lower 48, so I don't know if they are more aggressive in AK or if they've somehow become more predatory recently.

I'd never take a bear encounter lightly, but I want to make sure that I react properly if one does occur. We'll be up shortly to look around our property, and we'll have the shotguns loaded with slugs... but I don't want to do the wrong thing since there are a lot of bears reported in that area (and everywhere it seems) this year.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:15 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
Play dead if a brownie attacks. Fight for your life if a blackie attacks.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:52 AM

Thanks Rance. What about before they actually make contact? If a blackie is charging at you, do you just assume it's going to attack... unlike brownies who are probably just bluffing the first time?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:10 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times
If a black bear isn't afraid of you and doesn't try to run away when it knows you're there (they have poor eyesight so making noise may be needed), and it walks towards you unafraid, or charges, figure you're in a fight for your life and act accordingly...

Old 08-11-2008, 01:04 PM

411 posts, read 961,893 times
I've always had faith the wife can handle her coach shotty here in the house, but am rethinking that thought and will have to get her on one of my combat rigged 870's. I've never even THOUGHT of arming her with a pistol of any calibre.

I keep my skills with up with my .45's. I also have an M29 with a 2" tube, that's a pain in the wrist to rapid fire and meant for out to 7yrds and closer. I think I may need a couple more M29's in 6 inch. Don't worry we won't be living in a neighborhood or intown.

But those have always been my back ups. Not my first choice. My SoCom-14 in 7.62 with ball ammo is great in most instances but in any kind of bear country, I prefer the 870 with an 18" tube, shoulder stock, quick sling, and a lot of slugs. When I'm hunting, well that's different. Either my Rem .308 or for the big-uns, .338 Lap. These are the ones that have never let me down and I'm kinda partial to em.

My 3 Eskie's will alert me to anything that comes near, I'm dang near deaf now and don't hear to well. My alert level is on high due to that, wherever I am. Without the dogs around me, I'd have a hard time going for a walk in the woods, even with the 870. Once we get there and the dogs start doing what dogs love to do, I'll keep as many as I'm 'allowed' to. Heck I just had 16 in the pack and now I'm down to three. Want the next litter to be Alaskan born.

I'm learning now instead of later, how to compensate for the loss of complete hearing I'm facing. Doc's say 2 more years and I'll be stone deaf. Friends have learned not to come up behind me because my reaction to that is rather unpleasant.

Just a matter of acclimation, and I'm big on that.

Thanks again for all the great info.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:19 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,802,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer818 View Post
I've always had faith the wife can handle her coach shotty here in the house, but am rethinking that thought and will have to get her on one of my combat rigged 870's. I've never even THOUGHT of arming her with a pistol of any calibre.
that's good thinking. It seems that everyone except those of us who live here preach about owning and carrying the largest caliber handgun you can buy. Right now the S&W .500 Alaskan seems to be everyone's choice.
I've seen them, dealt with them and seem to me to be very nice, expensive, heavy, multi shot deringers. Recovery time for the inexperienced after the first shot seems to be about a day and a half.
I keep saying this, but Pepper Spray is better than a pistol. It really works. Just try not to spray upwind..........

Now as far as bears go, others have a lot more experience than I do, but this is my take.
Brownies are lord of their domain. They're not afraid of crap. Surprise one and you're in trouble, which is why noise is your best friend. They will even stalk you if they're interested. If you see a mother and her cubs,,,,,back out of that zip code quickly and quietly.
Black bears are simply neurotic. They may attack or try to run up a tree or under a house. You just don't know what the hell they''l do.

You seem to have a nice collection, but in all honesty, my go-to firearms are really simple.
- 30-06 bolt gun (Savage) w/ 220 gr
- Marlin 45-70 loaded with 405 to 500 grain hammerheads
- winchester 12 guage 7 shot defender, loaded with slugs.

- and of course...pepper spray.

Good luck with your relocation and protecting what hearing you have left, I also am suffering from hearing loss, but only in my left ear.

Ray and Mal can go into much more detail than I.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:44 PM

We'll stock up on pepper spray when we touch down -- Alaska Airlines allows it, but SeaTac airport security doesn't... grrrr.

I'd rather deter an animal than kill it if I'm not interested in eating it... but, heck if it looks interested in eating me, I'll shoot first and second-guess it's intentions later!

Old 08-11-2008, 03:51 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,802,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
We'll stock up on pepper spray when we touch down -- Alaska Airlines allows it, but SeaTac airport security doesn't... grrrr.

I'd rather deter an animal than kill it if I'm not interested in eating it... but, heck if it looks interested in eating me, I'll shoot first and second-guess it's intentions later!

don't worry about trying to fly with it. It is only a couple of bucks higher here than you would pay down south.
A lot is sold in alaska....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska