Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 05:45 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongazid View Post
are there any newfoundlands in Alaska?
Yes. I don't know how popular they are in Alaska, but I have seen Newfies around. Gorgeous animal. I know of one lady who owns a Newfie/Mastiff mixed male, trained as a service dog she takes him everywhere.

It should also be pointed out that giant breed dogs do not have a very long life expectancy. Somewhere between 8 and 10 years, 11 if you are very lucky. Smaller dogs live longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 05:55 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,107,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Smaller dogs live longer.
Don't I know it....I have sixteen or more years of the Bug's snobbish company

Old 08-19-2008, 08:25 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,217,763 times
Quote:
Yes. I don't know how popular they are in Alaska, but I have seen Newfies around. Gorgeous animal. I know of one lady who owns a Newfie/Mastiff mixed male, trained as a service dog she takes him everywhere.

It should also be pointed out that giant breed dogs do not have a very long life expectancy. Somewhere between 8 and 10 years, 11 if you are very lucky. Smaller dogs live longer.

Sorry Glitch...not totally true. With Great Danes and Saint Bernards yes your looking at 9-12 years. With Dogs like teh Giant Mals they actually live to be 15-17 years. All depends on the dog and if it's raised on today's crappy a$$ commercial dog food. (sore topic for me)

Old 08-19-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
Sorry Glitch...not totally true. With Great Danes and Saint Bernards yes your looking at 9-12 years. With Dogs like teh Giant Mals they actually live to be 15-17 years. All depends on the dog and if it's raised on today's crappy a$$ commercial dog food. (sore topic for me)
Malumutes are not considered "giant breed" either. They are in the large breed category, and large breed dogs live longer than the giant breed dogs. Like I said, smaller dogs live longer. As far as food is concerned, I use "Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul" which, while being commercial, is not "crappy a$$."

Old 08-19-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
Don't I know it....I have sixteen or more years of the Bug's snobbish company
I know the feeling. I've also got an Alaskan Husky/Lab mixed female that weighs in at only 45 pounds. She may out live me!

Old 08-19-2008, 11:45 PM

I happen to raise "Giant Alaskan Malamutes", properly named Giant for a reason when a large male can reach weights of 180 - 220 pounds. I grew up in a family that raised Great Danes and they never got that big.

I wasn't referring to the average fluff ball Malamutes but the original M'Loot ones.

I'm not familiar with the chicken soup food, glad it works for you.

I was only commenting because you said giant breeds don't live much past 10 years.

No need to get pissy over it!!

Old 08-20-2008, 12:17 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,107,482 times
Quote:
I know the feeling. I've also got an Alaskan Husky/Lab mixed female that weighs in at only 45 pounds. She may out live me!
I can imagine she is quite lovely.
On the other hand - the Bug, a Papillon, weighs in neatly at 4 pounds. Perhaps a pound or two more wet.
My other dogs - both Labs, weigh in at 79 and 83 pounds of Lab goodness

Old 08-20-2008, 07:38 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,944,830 times
Dreamchase I checked out your albums and those dogs, absolutely gorgeous!! Especially Myshka, looks like my aunt's Mal, I'm partial to the reds

Old 08-20-2008, 07:49 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times
IMO it's personal preference of a dog/s for living in Alaska. Depending on what you're going to use the dog for. We have a pekinese (who loves the snow) and a pit who doesn't. They are both excellent watch-dogs. The pit is about 80# and the peke about 14#. Problem is the peke thinks she is a rottie. Our dogs are pets and part of the family.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
Dreamchase I checked out your albums and those dogs, absolutely gorgeous!! Especially Myshka, looks like my aunt's Mal, I'm partial to the reds
Thank you very much. Myshka is pushing 115-120 right now and will be 2 in October. We are going to breed her for the first time in Novemeber to a big black Male so we will be expecting blacks and reds out of that litter if your interested. Also have the gray one (Keira) with her stud right now, won't know if she took for few weeks tho. Grey's and Reds from that litter.
My hubby completely converted me, I absolutely love Mals now. They are so smart and loving to their families. They are also very protective too. And boy do they love the snow. Of course so does our Mutt hound mix Boomer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska