Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:28 PM

18 posts, read 42,167 times

Advertisements

Seastar, you are not that far from me. Sadly, I haven't been to Chicago, but I am not a big city girl, more or a country girl. That is why I fell in love with Alaska. How long ago were you in Alaska? My husband was stationed in Ft. Richardson for two years and he really liked it, but that was like 30 years ago, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 05:26 PM

607 posts, read 1,334,238 times
I've spent time in Alaska the past three summers, and last November. This year I was in Sitka for six weeks, sort of testing it out to see if I would like living there. That's why I know something about the job market. I get what you said about being a 'country girl', I'm more that than a city type also. But I need to say that Chicago is beautiful, and I recommend you take a day and go to the museums and the lakeshore (before you move up north). You could take the South Shore train in, and not need to worry about driving and parking. Easy and fun!

....Wow, I sure am full of advice! Hope I don't sound like a know-it-all?

Old 08-26-2008, 10:13 AM

18 posts, read 42,167 times
I do plan on going to Chicago before I leave. I have never gone on the South Shore train but when we decide to go we probably will. By the way, you don't sound like a know-it-all, I appreciate all the advice you have given. Everyone on this forum will probably hear more from me before we move. I want to make sure I go over everything before making such a big move. I am excited about Alaska and thinking of any of the areas of Alaska. I'm not ruling anything out. Do you know anything about Eagle River just up the highway from Anchorage? It looked like a small town and still close to Anchorage. I could probably handle something like that. Wasilla and Palmer looks like it may be a little ways though, but still a consideration. Fairbanks will be a last resort because of the temperatures in the winter. Thanks for all your advice, I really do appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska