Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:15 PM

14 posts, read 122,898 times

Advertisements

How much does a room at the narl cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 05:09 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper_john View Post
How much does a room at the narl cost?
Give them a call. (907)852-7800

Old 10-07-2008, 05:10 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
NARL website, sort of.

ARM - Sites: Visiting the NSA (http://www.arm.gov/sites/nsa/visit.stm - broken link)

Old 10-07-2008, 06:59 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,655,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
NARL website, sort of.

ARM - Sites: Visiting the NSA (http://www.arm.gov/sites/nsa/visit.stm - broken link)
The Atmospheric Radiation Measurments project is not even close to being whatever NARL is today.

Most of what was the Naval Arctic Research Lab is now owned by Ilisagvik College. UIC Science and the Barrow Arctic Science Consortium (BASC) are the next largest entities using the buildings there. I don't know which of the two actually owns most of what BASC uses.

Ukpeagvik Inupiat Corporation (UIC), a for profit corporation formed by the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act, has set aside 7,466 acres of land adjacent to NARL dedicated to Arctic research. It is called the Barrow Environmental Observatory and commonly called the BEO.

BASC has recently completed construction a Research Center, the first of five huge buildings that funding has been approved for.

In addition several other companies own or rent facilities at NARL, including Bowhead Transportation, UIC Light Duty Shop, Spenard Builders, and probably others that I'm unaware of. The North Slope Borough's Wildlife Department is located in one wing of the main Ilisagvik College building.

BASC does have a very interesting webpage,
BASC
and here's the webpage for Ilisagvik College,
Ilisagvik College - Honoring your past, preparing for your future. - Home

Old 10-08-2008, 09:53 AM

14 posts, read 122,898 times
Is Iligsagvik College available to anyone who meets the requirements? Also does anyone know if the Narl hotel is available to non-students or scientists? I'm thinking about apllying to Ilisagvik college. Is that on tribl land and/or for minorties only?

Old 10-28-2008, 02:05 AM

9 posts, read 28,840 times
I stayed at NARL and I'm not a scientist. A sign inside my room said they only work with organizations. When I'd called and made the reservation they asked me what organization I was with and I said none and they still took my reservation.

They don't provide the "hotel" type services (if you're looking for that, stay at one of them). You can read reviews of NARL here Narl Hotel, Barrow Hotels : Reviews of Narl Hotel - Yahoo! Travel

Old 03-03-2009, 11:11 PM

643 posts, read 1,394,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
I have some, but none that I'm willing to post.

I just don't have much interest in spending money on bear pictures, and because they are both spread out over twenty miles of beach and are chased off by the NSB Department of Wildlife as soon as they come close to town, it's pretty much a hit or miss deal without a significant investment in spotting them.

Added to that is the fact that another local photographer specializes in polar bears. He did tours out to Point Barrow for years mostly as a way to pay for doing polar bear photography!

On the other hand, if you like images of Snowy Owls... I have a few thousand (perhaps more than just about anyone). I probably like this one the best, and have released it on the Internet in this small format, but I also sell full resolution prints at 11x14 or 13x19. It is available printed on T-Shirts from John Falk at Today in Barrow.com.
beautifal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska