Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:27 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
I don't quite understand your comment that there is no primary viewpoint. Every geographic area has a predominate religion. It is simply a matter of statistics.
I don't think you understand how big an area it is and how diverse it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 02:29 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,106,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icarian View Post

it resembles Christian on the surface...and is very varied underneath.
Oooh, I wish I'd said that! Excellently put! Perfect description. Thank you.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:36 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
If you don't live here why are you concerned about it?

Old 09-03-2008, 03:45 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,866,256 times
Quote:
I don't quite understand your comment that there is no primary viewpoint. Every geographic area has a predominate religion. It is simply a matter of statistics.
Well, speaking in very vague terms, the US of A is somewhat Christian, Japan is not, neither is China, Africa, a vast expanse of land larger than North and South America combined, can not be safely catagorized when placed in such a narrow framework such as,( is it Christian, or all the natives going to hell? ) Personally, I would prefer going to hell than be bored to tears by interminal sermons presented by those of little imagination. I suspect Christianity may be taking a bad hit because of the antics of the fundamentalists, thankfully, not all christians are filled more with fervor than education. North Carolina, on the books, is rated as a "Christian" state. Not entirely true, I am not a Christian, nor are a lot of my friends, most of the loud inhabitants do tend to be, a lot of the home schooled here are so termed because they would rather be raising their children to be ignorant than have them exposed to modern science, Uh, and yes......they certainly are/claim to be christian. Opinions vary.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:48 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,248,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
If you don't live here why are you concerned about it?
Because those in the -48 who are not in 'the Alaskan know' are using every google, and the like internet search to find out more about Palin and Alaska so that they can somehow make a decision. It's sort of like cult research. Kinda gross. But I guess it's needed to dispell such myths as "the state has only 13 people and a herd of carabou" or whatever it is some idiot said on the idiot box the other day. It's easier to classify and label things in sweeping generalizations. Sort of the lazy man's excuse for "critical thinking." Unfortunately, Alaska is under the magnifying glass now and you'll see more and more people not only researching, but eventually becoming curious tourons.

Too bad we can't just vote on the issues. That would make life so much easier than worrying about whose daughter is pregnant or what church makes a squat of difference.

Alright Alaska, I'm off to have a beer. Have a great afternoon.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:52 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,866,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Because those in the -48 who are not in 'the Alaskan know' are using every google, and the like internet search to find out more about Palin and Alaska so that they can somehow make a decision. It's sort of like cult research. Kinda gross. But I guess it's needed to dispell such myths as "the state has only 13 people and a herd of carabou" or whatever it is some idiot said on the idiot box the other day. It's easier to classify and label things in sweeping generalizations. Sort of the lazy man's excuse for "critical thinking." Unfortunately, Alaska is under the magnifying glass now and you'll see more and more people not only researching, but eventually becoming curious tourons.

Too bad we can't just vote on the issues. That would make life so much easier than worrying about whose daughter is pregnant or what church makes a squat of difference.

Alright Alaska, I'm off to have a beer. Have a great afternoon.
Well, drink one for me while you're at it.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:19 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,198,887 times
So if I understand correctly, some smaller areas are Russian Orthodox and the balance is not particularly religious at all or a mix.

Is there a considerable Catholic presence? Or is everything else pretty much "Evangelical mix"?

Some of the above posts state that the people primarily don't go to church, etc. That being true, why would they have been willing to elect an ultra conservative fundamentalist as governor? Was the person she was running against awful? Was it a close election?

I am just trying to understand the demographics of the people of Alaska.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:47 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,326,204 times
Quote:
So if I understand correctly, some smaller areas are Russian Orthodox and the balance is not particularly religious at all or a mix.

Is there a considerable Catholic presence? Or is everything else pretty much "Evangelical mix"?

Some of the above posts state that the people primarily don't go to church, etc. That being true, why would they have been willing to elect an ultra conservative fundamentalist as governor? Was the person she was running against awful? Was it a close election?

I am just trying to understand the demographics of the people of Alaska.
You can't really understand it, not without being there. Just because people don't spend much time in church doesn't mean they aren't partial to one religion or another, it just means they don't spend much time in church. As for the 'Christian' part, the first missionaries pretty much divided Alaska between them long before it was a state, and the boundaries are still noticeable in some areas. But if you overlay a map of AK on top of the Lower 48, it stretches pretty much from North Carolina to California - that's a lot of geography to try to comprehend the demographics of.

As for Palin, she wasn't elected based on her religion, but on her track record.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:55 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,217,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well, speaking in very vague terms, the US of A is somewhat Christian, Japan is not, neither is China, Africa, a vast expanse of land larger than North and South America combined, can not be safely catagorized when placed in such a narrow framework such as,( is it Christian, or all the natives going to hell? ) Personally, I would prefer going to hell than be bored to tears by interminal sermons presented by those of little imagination. I suspect Christianity may be taking a bad hit because of the antics of the fundamentalists, thankfully, not all christians are filled more with fervor than education. North Carolina, on the books, is rated as a "Christian" state. Not entirely true, I am not a Christian, nor are a lot of my friends, most of the loud inhabitants do tend to be, a lot of the home schooled here are so termed because they would rather be raising their children to be ignorant than have them exposed to modern science, Uh, and yes......they certainly are/claim to be christian. Opinions vary.
I'm sorry Dusty Rhodes but this is a very "ignorant" comment to make by implying that all homeschooled kids are being educated in the home because parents want them to be ignorant. I for one am home schooling my 5 older children and my oldest daughter (10th grade) is taking Biology 2 through Prentice Hall - one of the more rigorous publishers out their for high school text. She is also taking Latin, Algebra 2, American Lit/English, World history and Animal Husbandry to give you an idea of one of my kids curriculum. To generalize that all homeschoolers are ignorant and continue this through their children simply because they are Christian is more ignorant on your part than on any parent.
I for one am a Christian. I don't deny my kids any level of education and don't hold them back. I don't believe in Evolution and have taught my children my Faith's view of Creationism BUT have also taught them the worldview/secular version of evolution as well. They can decide for themselves which to believe.
There is nothing wrong with being a Christian or homeschooling, I made the personal choice to do so because the education kids receive in the schools today is down right pathetic.
You should not be so judgemental and condescending!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:24 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,106,676 times
Quote:
Is there a considerable Catholic presence?
"Considerable" meaning more than 50% or what? I wouldn't define Alaska as having lots of Catholics. Some, as anywhere else. Not lots.

Quote:
Or is everything else pretty much "Evangelical mix"?
No. We said "Christian". "Evangelical" is only a small portion of "Christisn".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska