Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:09 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times

Advertisements

The ADN finally has something about it:

Respiratory illness kills woman in Southeastern: Southeast | adn.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 02:53 PM

959 posts, read 2,360,549 times
Default Story is typical media BS

Metla--just so you/any other interested party are aware: (PM me if you want more details)

Bird flu did NOT kill this lady--I know the circumstances--we do have a pretty virulent outbreak of flu/pneumonia right now that is affecting lots of people but this is NOT bird flu, according to all medical experts/etc. Just a nasty illness really hitting a lot of folks.

The folks at my office have "in the know" status, recognition process for bird flu/etc--and this is NOT IT.

Don't believe the rumors!!

Old 10-07-2008, 06:55 PM

273 posts, read 587,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
Metla--just so you/any other interested party are aware: (PM me if you want more details)

Bird flu did NOT kill this lady--I know the circumstances--we do have a pretty virulent outbreak of flu/pneumonia right now that is affecting lots of people but this is NOT bird flu, according to all medical experts/etc. Just a nasty illness really hitting a lot of folks.

The folks at my office have "in the know" status, recognition process for bird flu/etc--and this is NOT IT.

Don't believe the rumors!!
THERE you are!! Thanks!
We need to tell everyone on the island that. Communication around here is horrible. I was approached about a quarantine a couple of more times today..so people are still asking questions and aren't getting informed. It needs to be published in the Island News.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:16 PM

Thanks, AKgrl--figured you'd know.

It would be better to put it in the KDN; it's a daily. Or on the radio.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:50 PM

273 posts, read 587,466 times
In my (highly annoyed) opinion, some official needs to get busy and get official and make some very official and very public statements.
.....Three officials in one sentence may seem too many but definitely called for in this case....(!!!)
We need head counts, current ones. Not just some newsy piece with last week's stats.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:30 PM

I agree, Wrennie.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:29 PM

Here's a better blurb about this illness. This is the real poop.

The Associated Press
ANCHORAGE - A respiratory illness that health officials say likely was caused by a virus circulating on Prince of Wales Island has killed one person and put another on a ventilator in an Anchorage hospital.
Genetic testing on samples taken from patients indicated the cause was adenovirus 14.
Epidemiologist Beth Funk called it a virulent version of a common bug best known for causing "respiratory crud in the winter."
"It's a fairly common virus, but this particular type, adenovirus 14, hasn't been seen commonly up until lately," Funk said. "In the last year it's been the main player in a couple of outbreaks that looked somewhat like the one that they're having on Prince of Wales Island."
The virus may be responsible for causing pneumonia in at least 32 people on the island west of Ketchikan in Southeast Alaska.
Seven of the 32 cases were severe enough to send patients on medical evacuation flights to hospitals in surrounding communities.
One patient was flown to Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage and put on a ventilator and another woman died, Funk said.
"That individual also had fairly significant underlying lung disease - chronic obstructive lung disease - and it would have put that person at a higher risk for bad outcome with any other infection on top of that," Funk said.
The division sent a team to the island last month to review medical records.
Scientists at the state virology laboratory in Fairbanks and at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta collected specimens and conducted tests to determine the cause of the outbreak. The CDC identified adenovirus in six of 13 samples.
"If you can get a predominant germ on a fairly good proportion of those tests, then you go with that," Funk said. "You don't have to have every single test be positive, because no test is perfect."
While some infected people might not show symptoms, others develop a sore throat, cough, fever or pneumonia. Severe pneumonia and death are rare in otherwise healthy people, but the infirm are at increased risk for such complications, according to the CDC.
The virus is transferred by coughing and sneezing. It can also be contracted by touching an object, such as a doorknob, that has the virus on it and then touching one's mouth, nose or eyes, according to the CDC.
There's no cure for adenovirus but it will eventually cycle itself out, Funk said.
There was some concern the illness could spread to other communities, she said, but there have been no reports of widespread illness off the island.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:26 PM

Good thing for us it wasn't bird flu; PETA would have been after us for sure--they can see dollar signs from their house.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:51 AM

HEHEHE no kidding about PETA...

You know, I'm pretty darn conservative now but I used to identify quite a bit with some environmental groups. Now I just think every one of them is pretty much in the same boat --politically/financially motivated--seems like the "real" environmentalists that acted out of genuine love for the earth/species are few and far between these days.

That was less eloquent than I usually like to be, but do ya get me??

Old 10-09-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
You know, I'm pretty darn conservative now but I used to identify quite a bit with some environmental groups. Now I just think every one of them is pretty much in the same boat --politically/financially motivated--seems like the "real" environmentalists that acted out of genuine love for the earth/species are few and far between these days.
I really think that PETA's entire purpose is to bilk the flakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska