Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:24 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbg2d View Post
My main plan is to move up in spring, this trip would be to visit family around Christmas and see if my car can hack it in a northern winter.
You'll be fine. Maybe buy a set of studded snow tires for better traction in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 04:53 PM

11 posts, read 31,707 times
I've driven 19 motorhomes with large trailers up here from Indiana last couple years. All depends on your patience and driving ability. You can expect anything in March but that's when we bring the new stuff up for a local company. The roads will stay open but you may have to wait out some storms, ice, etc. in the mountains. Basickly that's the time of year I like it since the animals are comming out of hibration and a couple hundred miles are like a zoo! Be prepared and know your limits. Just fine if you use good common sense, and buy a copy of the Milepost

Old 03-03-2015, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,612 times
I'm driving a 1ton dually4x4 pulling a bumper pull trailer. Will I have any issues. I'm a Cdl driver in co. Use to winter conditions. Is it solid mountain pulling or is some of it running thru the bottom of. Valleys

Old 03-03-2015, 08:55 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
AlCan is maintained... So, unless you have a mechanical problem you shouldn't. Could a blizzard strand you, - yep. So check the weather. There are some avalanche and falling rock zones. Not really all that many, but a couple. I assume you are a diesel? Make sure you are running winter blend and your rig can run in -40F or perhaps a little lower temps. (just in case) Winter front might not be a bad idea to have. Cardboard works too. I know you said you have winter driving experience so I'll stop there.

There are some mountain passes and you do drive thru the bottom of the valleys too. Where are you panning on entering Canada? I would recommend going thru Calgary and Edmonton as those are "highways".

Get the milepost magazine and realize that after Edmonton, the facilities start to get further apart and the cost for fuel goes up.

I drove it 3 times last year, Summer, Fall, and "late" fall in which the road was snow covered.

Ohh make sure you have really good trailer tires - there are a lot of rocks you will drive over. We stopped to check on a guy with a trailer and he was on his 4th trailer tire....

Old 03-03-2015, 09:58 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
A second vote for The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska