Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:23 AM

471 posts, read 1,327,504 times

Advertisements

forestry service cabins are available for rent and some are very remote. They don't have genarators in them but I don't know why you would want to be out in wilderness for 2 weeks and listen to one of those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 10:23 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
They have a cabin up from the village and one across the river all by itself. I'd call that remote in my book.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:56 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongazid View Post
forestry service cabins are available for rent and some are very remote. They don't have genarators in them but I don't know why you would want to be out in wilderness for 2 weeks and listen to one of those things.
Good point, I agree. Lets keep things simple and quiet. That's why a wood stove, kerosene lantern and an outhouse is best. Don't really even need the lantern in the summer.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:36 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Jim View Post
Greetings,
I have scoured the web to some degree,....but it is hard to trust advertising info from so many sites,....

I am looking for a cabin to rent for maybe a week or 2....not just a 'shack'...but something solid, with a genny for electric, stove..etc..etc...
And I would like it to be located in a VERY remote area, perhaps on a river or large lake. Something accessible only by float plane or boat or such.
True, isolated wilderness.
Get dropped off with supplies,....relax in nature for a week or 2, then get picked up and back to reality.

Anyone know of any areas with mountains, animals, and 'real' seclusion? And/or any companies or such that are trustworthy and aren't renting shacks that are a few hundred yards apart. Isolation means 'no other people'....PERIOD.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, or insight!
I have a cabin that is just North of Denali National Park, fly-in access only in the summer, dog sled, snowmachine or ski plane in the winter. It has a generator, but I use a battery bank with solar panel. The cabin is wired for 110 AC and has a inverter to change the 12V battery power to 110 AC.

The animals are pretty much the same critters in the park, they just don't pay attention to the lines that mark the boarders...

Will be hauling more "creature features" out this winter for the cabin, but it is as remote as you would want. Bears, moose, wolf and other critters are common visitors there.

Not a big cabin, but well insulated and warm, upstairs in the loft is where we sleep and has a window to watch the Northern Lights at night in the winter. Sits on the edge of the lake and you can see Mt. McKinley from there.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:37 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,104,306 times
Mark...is this your residence, or are you letting this out??

Old 11-12-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
Mark...is this your residence, or are you letting this out??

No, it is a place I built over the years. Everything was hauled out by either track rig, snowmachine or plane.

Like all other remote cabins, there is a lot of effort to get the supplies out to the site which limits their size, so most are smaller cabins unless the people live there year round and can build all the time using the local logs and material. But logistics are fairly intense for any remote site.

When you go to a remote "Lodge", they are very expensive to stay because they hauled the stuff out commercially (Helo or big plane landing on a winter lake) and had deep pockets to hire contractors to come out and put them together. We are talking about $600.00 a night at some of them by Denali National Park... and up...
Attached Thumbnails
Good place or company to rent a cabin from...-mt.-mckinley-edge-totek-lake.jpg  

Old 11-12-2008, 10:55 PM

2,397 posts, read 4,701,504 times
Nice photo Mark

Old 11-12-2008, 10:56 PM

Profound image, Mark. If you've ever the need to 'house-sit'...I'll be waiting for the plane to take me there!

Old 11-12-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
Profound image, Mark. If you've ever the need to 'house-sit'...I'll be waiting for the plane to take me there!
Would be more of a "Cabin" sit...

Old 11-12-2008, 11:02 PM

No...it would be a 'Dream-sit'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: