Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 05:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It is probably the wrong sort of mindset in a public forum, but the members of the tribe form their circle as they will, and again, it might be wrong, but you are perceived as an outsider here. So people circle the wagons. Or, because we're Alaskan, we form the circle of musk ox around the weaker or the attacked. It is a natural thing.
Sorry, Mal, not any more. Some of these people have been using this forum as their own personal punching bag and I won't defend their behavior or stand up for them just because they've been in Alaska for a few months. They need to either get a grip or get lost. The latter would be preferable to me before they ruin this forum any further.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-19-2008 at 05:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 09:12 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Sorry, Mal, not any more. Some of these people have been using this forum as their own personal punching bag and I won't defend their behavior or stand up for them just because they've been in Alaska for a few months. They need to either get a grip or get lost. The latter would be preferable to me before they ruin this forum any further.
Sorry Met, Mal is right in my opinion, I have only been here 15 months now, a lot of others much longer than me, but this guy came from no where and inflicts his "whatever" fake persona on us, fake and real...at election time, nice guy, opinionated Californian living on the Alaskan forun, go figure..and he and you in one of his posts, I will go find if need to, are going to fry all the Alaskan big fish, what the hey...hmmmm pick one....where do we go and take the abuse....just like the other thread, that if that kid is truly 21, would not have said to me what he did, he says respect...I am raising a grandchild with serious medical problems, do I have to do that, heck no, but I am and he is another from nowhere that delves into our lives, yes this is a very personal state forum and you know that, (how much time do you spend on your other state forum) ...Do you have to be in Oregon to care for your father, heck no, it is our choice, my life is very public on this forum, I have nothing to hide, but for someone to come out of nowhere and profess to know all, I won't stand for it...I don't know all either, neither do you...funny both these for the most part spewing have been defended by you...I prefer to be a jackal, or whatever...what do you choose, after making your threats for how long not coming back here after blue skies, ...other than maybe self righteous when it serves the purpose at hand for the moment...Yes I prefer to be a jackal, vulture, but I will not let some outsider from CA or FL that is obviously a fake looking for attention or to make a point make my life or friendships less to their liking...

Old 11-19-2008, 11:44 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Sorry Met, but I’m backing Granny on this one as well. You of all people are the last one to be making a statement like this. You even came on here a few weeks ago starting a specific thread complaining about how others were following you to other forums and questioning your true “Alaska-ness”. You and I even got into it when I told some snooty Californian to get lost claiming that everyone has the right to speak their mind. Yet here you are now claiming that others here are not “true Alaskans” and need to get lost. I’m willing to cut all of the Alaskans on this forum a tremendous amount of slack, even those I vehemently disagree with from time to time like you and the Captain. I'll gladly sit down and have a beer with any Alaskan here because I believe we have more in common than that which separates us. But the one thing I’ll always throw the penalty flag on is hypocrisy.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Yet here you are now claiming that others here are not “true Alaskans” and need to get lost. I’m willing to cut all of the Alaskans on this forum a tremendous amount of slack,
Nope, I'm claming that my personal preference is that the people here who can't follow the TOS and continually jump on others for no real reason get lost, especially when it involves young people.

I don't believe that the 21 year old kid is a "fake" just because he asked a question about purchasing a gun. Once again, it's a question that I could have asked myself if I were considering buying a gun; the only thing I really know about it is that the regulations are somewhat lax. The question about the snow...he's obviously a seasonal worker and that's a very common question for them to ask. As far as the Armani thing, my own son has been known to go to Milan to buy clothing, BFD. If someone can do that when they're young and not tied down, more power to them. It ain't all about "hoodies", thank Heaven.

Circle your wagons all you will; my point was that I won't be joining you simply out of some sort of "crowd mentality"--even though Mal's post was actually very right on; some of you will pile up on another poster simply to "fit in". I have no interest in "fitting in with" with anyone who directs abuse at a young person, or with those who egg them on.

And I see nothing "fake" about the other poster in question here either. He's said some things that a lot of you don't agree with; so have others who post in this forum and live in another state.

There are plenty of people posting in this forum who aren't in Alaska, by the way. Guess what. This is a relocation board; that's what it's for. And there are going to be a lot more of them because the legacy that Mr. Bush is going to leave this country is probably not going to be another garden variety recession; I think that what's coming has the potential to make the 30's of the last century look like a cakewalk. People are going to be looking to Alaska as a possible way to survive; can't really blame them.

People on both sides of the fence have made provocative statements concerning political issues...but why that 21 year old was flamed by some of you is way beyond me, and that's where I draw my line. Ands that's what this is about; unprovoked personal attacks on a kid.

Quote:
Sorry Met, but I’m backing Granny on this one as well. You of all people are the last one to be making a statement like this.
The key word here is "unprovoked". The kid didn't do or say a damned thing to warrant the outright abusive rantings that were directed at him. A few people just decided that he was a "troll" because he didn't know the gun laws in Alaska and called him all sorts of vile names. I chose to point out to them that I don't see how that makes him a "faker", as I've been around Alaska for most of my life and am fairly unclear on the gun laws myself, as they really have very little relevancy to me.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-20-2008 at 02:35 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 04:32 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
There is an old phrase, I forget who said it. It goes something like this:

"If a man at 20 years old is not a liberal, he has no heart. If a man at 40 years old is not a conservative, he has no brain."

There is a grain of truth to this saw, and I hope that every person has a period of time in which he or she "knows" that they can take on the problems of the world. Most of us become battered by the world or do it to ourselves to the point of losing hope, or losing sight of the goal. We then become entrenched in the values which we despised when younger. Those values weren't or aren't bad in themselves, and families take money to raise. Then we become conservative. Are we bad because of this?

I don't think so. I'm not saying that we all turn into Rush Limbaugh, but like the petrified forest, we become a little ossified over the years. Liberalism is not all bad, and neither is conservatism. We need each other.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:43 PM

I managed to raise my family just fine without becoming a winger, Mal, and hardly went broke doing so. Though I think as a general rule, most people do tend to become more conservative in ways as they age.

Quote:
just like the other thread, that if that kid is truly 21, would not have said to me what he did, he says respect...
Granny, you started in on the kid for no reason. Most people would have responded a bit more negatively than he did. But you've probably managed to chase him off for good.

It was your initial posts that violated the TOS, Granny, not his. I don't know what's happened to you lately but I'm going to venture a guess and suggest that dancing with oblivion in front of a computer screen on a nightly basis is a sure recipe for ensuring that the Alaska winter will most likely absolutely eat you alive.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-20-2008 at 05:09 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 05:59 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
There are a couple posters here who seem to look to start trouble, constantly turning everything into a political mud slinging match.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I think there are enough gray areas out there that as long as Met didn't vote twice, she's unlikely to be prosecuted. Once when I moved, I voted at my old residence because of timing issues. She's stated several times that I can remember that she didn't get a PFD, so no foul there.
Thank you.

Once again, Starlite, take your accusations and shove them.

I had actually expected to be back in AK by Nov. 4th but it didn't turn out that way; I was told I could go ahead an vote by absentee. I would actually have preferred to vote as a resident here as there were some local issues that were of interest to me.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:02 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
Starlite, unless Met changed her legal residence and drivers license to Oregon, her legal residence continues to be Alaska. As she is only temporarily located in Oregon, and fully intending to return, she isn't legally obligated to change her residence unless she starts a job outside of the state (for the local state tax) and even then, she can claim a legal residence in Alaska.

Filing for the PFD, you have to fulfill the residency requirements as put forth by the Dept of Revenue. As Met has told us on several occasions, she did not file for the PFD this year.

I think you have gone pretty far with this, personally. Met was defending a person she thought was innocent of wrongdoing. I think that's pretty admirable. I admit this person had ticked me off, as I may have taken something he said in the wrong way. But the defense of anyone here isn't a bad thing. We all need someone to stand with us from time to time.

Met's been on this forum for a long time, and while I might disagree with some of the lady's political stances, she has usually been a great poster, and a good friend to chat with. When she disagrees with someone, she's pretty upfront, and she doesn't suffer fools gladly. But, I think she's right in this case, and I am sorry, but I think you might be wrong. JMO of course.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:21 PM

Thanks Mal.

This guy has been making wild accusations towards other posters since he got here. He was full of how Floyd doesn't really live in Barrow not long ago. He was wrong then too.

Mal, retaining my residency is of no real benefit to me--it happened because a lot of things were up in the air and I was unsure about what I was going to be doing. But the way you explained it it is pretty much what I was told as well. It's no huge deal to me;I don't hunt or fish either, though I suppose the next wild accusation may involve me getting moose tags or some such as a resident. It would be typical, I suppose.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-20-2008 at 08:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska