Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 11:33 AM

21 posts, read 48,300 times

Advertisements

I am making plans to drive up to the Glennallen this spring or early summer to look at some land. When is most of the snow gone from this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 04:50 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Hey folks,
I lived in Fairbanks for about 18 months about 20 years ago and fell in love with the place. But I left and am ready to come back. I am looking into purchasing some land near Glennallenn and was wondering if anyone was from there and could answer some questions. I have been lurking on the forum a while and finally signed up.
Thanks ahead of time for the replies,
James
I looked into buying land around the Glennallen area about 15 years ago. The reason I didn't buy land around Glennallen/Copper Center was because the water table is too deep. Most properties don't have wells. They have their potable water shipped in from either the nearby Pippen or Kenny Lakes. I did meet one property owner with a well. He told me that he had to drill more than 500 feet before he reached the water table, and at $40/foot to drill a well in the bush, that can get rather expensive.

The Glennallen area is higher in elevation than the Mat-Su Valley, which makes the winters a bit colder. Also being on the northeast side of the Chugach Mountain Range, makes the area slightly drier. However, since you are experienced with Fairbanks, the cold should be something you are accustomed. It doesn't get as cold as Fairbanks or Delta Junction in the winter, but Glennallen is still colder than Anchorage or the Kenai Pennisula.

You will find the vast majority of the snow has melted off by mid-May.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:28 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
James, most of your other questions were answered here.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:00 PM

21 posts, read 48,300 times
Thanks Glitch...seems I missed your post and am in trouble for it now....

warptman...are you the online police now! Jeez dude get a life. I missed the post...so shoot me....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska