Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 04:35 PM

21 posts, read 48,300 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,
I lived in Fairbanks for about 18 months about 20 years ago and fell in love with the place. But I left and am ready to come back. I am looking into purchasing some land near Glennallenn and was wondering if anyone was from there and could answer some questions. I have been lurking on the forum a while and finally signed up.
Thanks ahead of time for the replies,
James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 08:17 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
Don't live there but am there often. Ask away. Can always say I don't know.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:20 AM

Thanks Mal,

I am looking at purchasing 2-4 acres about a mile from the Richardson-Glenn intersection. I have my own business but it depends on internet service. I know there is power near the land I am looking but don't know if there is any internet service. The service could be via telephone, cable, etc. Do you know how I could find out if there is service there?

I want to build my own cabin there. (I am in the construction business.) I was wondering about the soil there..if it is rocky, etc as I want to build the cabin on adjustable piers cemented into the ground. It would be just me doing the work so I would like to show up prepared. Do you know if there are any gravel pits in the area.

I have a ton of other questions but will save them for later. Once again thanks for your time.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:00 AM

There is internet service all through the area. Copper Valley Telephone can provide the internet for you. I think GCI is the cable provider, and also provides internet. Gravel pit on the Richardson south of the junction, east side of the road, not far, think, maybe 4-5 miles away from the junction, but the distance is hazy. I drive past it once in a while if I'm headed to Valdez, never paid much attention.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:21 PM

Thanks Mel...I was gone for a couple days that is way the late responce. I am hoping to find some one in the Glennallen area that can go look at some property for me and take a few pics. I do have a friend that just got stationed in Anchorage..but he is busy for awhile.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:02 PM

No problem. I'd do it for you, but I am probably not going to get to go down to Valdez in the immediate future, so I won't be passing through.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:02 PM

No problem Mal...thanks for the offer.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:15 PM

773 posts, read 1,938,248 times
Have you try'd looking at it in google maps? you can see some of the terrain and the area overall, although not that great. I'm looking at land in the same area, I have heard there are some small farms, so I would suspect it is ok for gardening. Has lots of lakes, trees and some rivers too. Good luck.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:28 PM

msta999....I have found the property in google earth and did an overlay with the subdivision map so I have a good idea where the land is. Does google maps hava topo maps so I can see the terrian, elevation etc. Or does some one know where I can look at topo maps online?

Old 12-01-2008, 09:54 AM

773 posts, read 1,938,248 times
Google.com in the maps section has terrain, although it is a little limited. Shows elevations. Look at the top right corner after you input your address, you will see terrain and click on it.

Google Maps

Then there is this map that is a terrain map. I seen it for the first time on this site, posted by someone else. Click on the area you want, then right click on the map, go down to "this frame", then click on "show only this frame" and you will have a full page of the map.

http://quadpicker.landrecords.info/

Here is another one from the UA.

http://www.ualand.com/index.cfm?fuse...LandSales.Home

Last edited by msta999; 12-01-2008 at 10:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska