Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:45 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
I'm going to be on Admiralty Island for three months. I read that it has the largest number of bear than anywhere else in Alaska; 1600 to 1800 in number. I'm hoping they're hibernating while I'm there.

Great picture by the way!
I don't know what the concentration is there, but I know it is high. Bears may not hibernate as hard as they do here where it is a lot colder, but even here, I will see where in January they get up and wander around for a few hours/days, then go back to bed. They don't eat or hunt, just kinda wander around to see what is up I guess.

On the way out to our cabin when on the snowmachine or track rig, I will run across their tracks in the snow on the trail, but they turn tail when they hear us coming and are off the trail and back in the woods by the time we get there.

Anyway, you "may" run into one on the beach or something in your travels, just give them a wide berth and with all luck, they will go back to bed til spring....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 04:48 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I don't know what the concentration is there, but I know it is high. Bears may not hibernate as hard as they do here where it is a lot colder, but even here, I will see where in January they get up and wander around for a few hours/days, then go back to bed. They don't eat or hunt, just kinda wander around to see what is up I guess.

On the way out to our cabin when on the snowmachine or track rig, I will run across their tracks in the snow on the trail, but they turn tail when they hear us coming and are off the trail and back in the woods by the time we get there.

Anyway, you "may" run into one on the beach or something in your travels, just give them a wide berth and with all luck, they will go back to bed til spring....
Are they less aggressive in the winter?

Old 11-19-2008, 04:52 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Starlite, I've never seen so many bears in one spot (that first picture you posted here). Granted Alaska has more bears than where I'm from but wow.

A person wouldn't stand a chance if all of those bears got grumpy, but that's quite a sight too...

Old 11-19-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Are they less aggressive in the winter?

I would suppose it would depend if you pissed them off or not...

Some years ago down in Kenai, there was a seismic company using dynamite to do soundings, they set one off next to a sleeping bear, it jumped up and killed one of the workers before he knew what hit him...

So I would suggest you don't throw dynamite at them while they are poking around...

In the spring when the bears come out, they will wander around a bit and then "Poop" out a "Plug" that looks whitish, at that time they start to eat and drink. I guess it is from from laying around all winter, but they pretty much are just lethargic during winter... There are of course exceptions....

Old 11-19-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Starlite, I've never seen so many bears in one spot (that first picture you posted here). Granted Alaska has more bears than where I'm from but wow.

A person wouldn't stand a chance if all of those bears got grumpy, but that's quite a sight too...
I have one somewhere I took in '89 of a dead whale up on the beach just south of the town of Kodiak, with two very large bears standing on it fighting.

We were in a helo headed to Old Harbor and stopped and watch them for a few min's. You could see them slam each other and the fat under the fur would ripple down their bodies...

Funny part is there was more whale there than either could eat in their lifetime. Will post that when I can scan it.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I would suppose it would depend if you pissed them off or not...

Some years ago down in Kenai, there was a seismic company using dynamite to do soundings, they set one off next to a sleeping bear, it jumped up and killed one of the workers before he knew what hit him...

So I would suggest you don't throw dynamite at them while they are poking around...

In the spring when the bears come out, they will wander around a bit and then "Poop" out a "Plug" that looks whitish, at that time they start to eat and drink. I guess it is from from laying around all winter, but they pretty much are just lethargic during winter... There are of course exceptions....
I was asking because I know people who don't get all their needed sleep are usually grumpy without provocaion. Just wondering if bear were the same or if they are more laid back because it is hibernation season.

I promise not to set off any dynamite while on the island.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:02 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,708 times
That does't rule out C4! LOL

Old 11-19-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
That does't rule out C4! LOL
True.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:13 PM

471 posts, read 1,327,708 times
I have read stories about "ICE BEARS". They are supposed to be the meanest of mean bears. They don't hibernate in the winter but rather hunt for meat in the deep snow. They say the ice bears would find an area of thin ice where they could dig down to the water then would jump in. The ice would freeze soild on there fur making a layer of insulation that would keep them warm in the sub 0` weather. This also created a bulletproof shell that deflect any bullet from an unlucky hunter or trapper.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:23 PM

471 posts, read 1,327,708 times
I know that is just a story, but has anybody else heard of that story or a similar version?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska