Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:23 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongazid View Post
I have read stories about "ICE BEARS". They are supposed to be the meanest of mean bears. They don't hibernate in the winter but rather hunt for meat in the deep snow. They say the ice bears would find an area of thin ice where they could dig down to the water then would jump in. The ice would freeze soild on there fur making a layer of insulation that would keep them warm in the sub 0` weather. This also created a bulletproof shell that deflect any bullet from an unlucky hunter or trapper.
OK, now you're just making shat up to scare me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 09:19 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongazid View Post
I have read stories about "ICE BEARS". They are supposed to be the meanest of mean bears. They don't hibernate in the winter but rather hunt for meat in the deep snow. They say the ice bears would find an area of thin ice where they could dig down to the water then would jump in. The ice would freeze soild on there fur making a layer of insulation that would keep them warm in the sub 0` weather. This also created a bulletproof shell that deflect any bullet from an unlucky hunter or trapper.
Yeah, that is actually factual. Where my cabin is locate on Totek Lake, it is just a short hop to the Toklat River which is on the Northern side of the Denali Park by a few miles. There is some warm water springs that are warm enough to keep the water from freezing over and there is a late salmon run that comes in early winter. Since there is an abundance of food, the bears hold off on the Hibernation by a few months. Since those bears get a lot of proten, they are some of the biggest interior Grizzlies, some are almost as big as the brown bears on Kodiak. One a friend got in that area squared at 9 feet and a few inches.

When they jump into the water for fish, they come out in -40 weather and the fur freezes and has ice hanging off of it builds up because the water isn't warm enough to melt it off. The local natives (Athabaskin Indians) don't like the bears because they were "Armored" to where they couldn't kill them with either a bow or spear. The guns had a tendency to have the bullets deflect off the ice sheathing them too, which didn't help matters either and that makes for good story telling down the road.

They say they make a "Tinkling" sound when they walked from the ice chunks hitting each other, which scared the locals even more.

I have flown over the open river in January, but never seen the bears, but have seen the tracks. My cabin is far enough away, I think that when the bears are done eating, they don't go far to nap and that is the reason they aren't by my cabin... Well now that I said that, one will be under the cabin when I get out there in a few weeks....

Old 11-19-2008, 11:16 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,809,796 times
Siouxcia....... See if you can locate a copy of "Bear Man of Admiralty Island" by John R. Howe, 1996..."A Biography of Allen E. Hasselborg"

Hasselborg was a colorful character that lived for many years on Admiralty in the 20's & 30's....

His story was first written in 1930 by John Holzworth.... " Wild Grizzlies of Alaska " 1930

If you can locate one of these its a great read... they are very collectible and therefore spendy if you can find one.....100 to 350 depending on condition and release date

Yukon Books - Wild Grizzlies of Alaska by Holzworth, John

THE WILD GRIZZLIES OF ALASKA. , John M Holzworth - James & Mary Laurie Booksellers - Fine books, maps & prints

Old 11-19-2008, 11:28 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/alaskan/hb10.jpg (broken link)

We had been shooting video in a meadow in the Yukon when this guy came wandering along and laid down quite close to observe....

He was quite well behaved so we didn't make a rug outta him...

Old 11-20-2008, 01:01 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Second try. Here are pics of the two bears that took out our neighbor's bird feeder.

Attached Thumbnails
Bear Photos-p7110102_01.jpg   Bear Photos-p7110103.jpg   Bear Photos-p7110104.jpg  

Old 11-20-2008, 01:36 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post

We had been shooting video in a meadow in the Yukon when this guy came wandering along and laid down quite close to observe....

He was quite well behaved so we didn't make a rug outta him...
Good on you, CC...a fine shot.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:04 AM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Siouxcia....... See if you can locate a copy of "Bear Man of Admiralty Island" by John R. Howe, 1996..."A Biography of Allen E. Hasselborg"

Hasselborg was a colorful character that lived for many years on Admiralty in the 20's & 30's....

His story was first written in 1930 by John Holzworth.... " Wild Grizzlies of Alaska " 1930

If you can locate one of these its a great read... they are very collectible and therefore spendy if you can find one.....100 to 350 depending on condition and release date

Yukon Books - Wild Grizzlies of Alaska by Holzworth, John

THE WILD GRIZZLIES OF ALASKA. , John M Holzworth - James & Mary Laurie Booksellers - Fine books, maps & prints
Thanks! I'll check it out locally but if they're rare, I'll look on line.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:56 AM

Looking online I see a couple at 100 and one less....those will not be in very good condition

Neat addition to an Alaska library...

I have a couple extra ones if you can't find one ya like.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:59 AM

2,397 posts, read 4,702,223 times
Nice pics CC and AKCK

Old 11-20-2008, 04:22 PM

26 posts, read 150,215 times
I took this on our drive up in June 08.
Attached Thumbnails
Bear Photos-pic_0339.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska