Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:11 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebushman View Post
im 15, and that is a great idea about hinting around ill try this out.

ty very much
Wow, you're 15? Are you sure you really want to make the move? No offense to any of you guys, you know how I feel about y'all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 01:22 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
im 15, and that is a great idea about hinting around ill try this out.

ty very much
15 is a good age to go up there. Have you been there before? Have you considered trying it out for a summer and remaining in school in the lower 48?

The whole empty nest thing can be devasting for us moms. I only have one, and he first left home for any major period of time to spend the winter in Europe when he was 19. It wasn't that easy to deal with, especially since he'd never really been in a real city except for Nashville over Christmas break, and his flight had him landing in Naples in the middle of the night. The next winter he went back for more only this time to Eastern Europe and the Middle East. But it all worked out well; he was taken in by a very nice Muslim family when all hell broke loose in the part of the Middle East he was visiting.

Yes, hint around and let her get used to the idea by degrees. You have every right to spend time with your father and she's gotta know that deep down.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:47 PM

149 posts, read 366,721 times
ty badger this helped out, especially when you said "which route will make you the person you want to become." And i thought, and i decided Alaska. Because i hate the city, and if i dont leave tulsa now i never will. Also if i move to Alaska ill will get a better work ethic. (at least i think so) I will also have a better apretican for things, and i love nature, and being outdoors.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:58 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,809,562 times
smart kid....

your mom will survive just fine.... a 15 yo boy outta be with his dad at this point anyway

Old 11-20-2008, 03:01 PM

471 posts, read 1,327,605 times
you sound more level headed than most of the adults that come on here wanting to move to alaska. You will do great, ROCK ON!

Old 11-20-2008, 03:26 PM

ty so much for your support guys, it has given me so much more of a positive out look on things.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:01 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,809,562 times
Dillingham School District website....note the link at right DCSD Photo Gallery

http://www.dcsd.k12.ak.us/

Old 11-20-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Dillingham School District website....note the link at right DCSD Photo Gallery

http://www.dcsd.k12.ak.us/
ty, ive been looking for this!

Also one question, how do kids dress/act in the bush? For instance do they dress like preppy rich kids, gangsters, or anything like that? Also are the kids nice? Will i have trouble making friends?

its ok if you dont know the answer to these.

edit:The photo gallery is really neat too.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Hmmm...let me think...

Quote:
Also one question, how do kids dress/act in the bush? For instance do they dress like preppy rich kids, gangsters, or anything like that? Also are the kids nice? Will i have trouble making friends?
The kids are for the most part very nice and I doubt you'll have any trouble making friends at all. The school will probably be a lot smaller than what you are used to; in some rural schools, sports are a big thing.

The kids will dress for the weather more than anything else, I think. I don't think that "fashion" is as important in the rural schools as elsewhere. As far as how they act...some of them have a self reliance of a type that you might not see as often in the lower 48--it's hard to describe. I think you'll find most of them to be more open to newcomers than you might find in a different kind of community. Since you like to do a lot of outdoor things, you'll have something in common with a lot of them right from the start.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:12 PM

all right, ty so much for this info. Also the school is about the same size as the one im going to atm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska