Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:21 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times

Advertisements

But you can still get a DUI on a snow machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 11:02 AM

959 posts, read 2,360,306 times
And how!! Back in my home state of MN, there would be snowmachines piled up by the bars in winter; and the friendly ol' state Troopers would be parked right around the corner, just waiting.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of drunken idiots that kill themselves on snowmachines every year, no matter what state--not so bad if they kick it but horrible if they take an innocent person out, too. I used to do my share of "drinking and riding" and it's nothing short of miraculous that I didn't hurt anyone--I'm thankful for that frequently!

Old 11-26-2008, 11:07 AM

559 posts, read 1,323,071 times
Isn't a snow machine the thing that ski resorts use to make snow???

Old 11-26-2008, 11:27 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Snowmachines are what Alaskans call what the people in the lower 48 snowmobiles. It just sounds better.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:49 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,414,959 times
I love snowmachines, and highly recommend them

Old 11-28-2008, 11:32 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
The big three Alaskan "toys" are (in alphabetical order):
  • ATV;
  • Boat; and
  • Snowmachine.
Trying to decide which to buy first is a decision that plagues a lot of Alaskans. I like warptman's ATV conversion idea. ATVs are not as fast as snowmachines in the snow, but at least you would be able to use the ATV all year long. However, in the summer there are places even an ATV cannot go. That is where a nice river boat comes in handy. Alaska's rivers become highways in the summer, providing access that would only be possible by air otherwise. If you had a river boat large enough to hold an ATV, then only a plane would open up the state more.

The decision is something each person has to make on their own based upon their activities during the various seasons. If you find yourself getting outdoors more often during the summer than the winter, then an ATV may be a better choice. Otherwise, a snowmachine might be a better choice. It really isn't a decision others can make for someone else because we all have our own personal bias.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:41 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleetsB View Post
KK well as some of ya already know moving up in april (wasilla)and i have been making my list of things i want/need and am curious which is more practical. I realize only could use snow mobile in winter but can atv go in winter? I am not young and crazy it would be used for transpo mainly and some fun times but i think i am leaning tward atv because it can be used all summer and fall and spring im guessing. any info or opinions would be great
That's a great question, and the answer depends on what you plan to do. For example, a lot of people with enough garage space buy both ATV's and snow machines. Other people buy them and park them outside. However, snowmobiles and ATV's are stolen all the time, right from your yard.

If you like snowmobiling, then a snow machine is the way to go. But for hunting in September, an ATV is a lot more useful. ATV's, however, don't do very well on the snow. In fact, even on a snowmobile riders get stuck in the snow all the time. I have been on my ATV by Chicken during the summer, and found some sections of trails that are impassible unless I can shovel my way through.

I bought an ATV for myself, and another for my wife. My wife's is a 2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4 (with foot shifter), and mine is a 1994 Big Bear (also manual). I mostly use mine for hunting each year, and to plow the driveway during the winter months. Every now and then during the summer, my wife and I ride the ATV's, so she has ridden her machine perhaps 100 miles since I bought it.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:53 PM

17 posts, read 43,499 times
Cool thanks guys you all make good points. Can you get almost anywhere on atv's or snow "mobile-machines" <---mine sounds better lol what i mean is can i just go down my driveway and drive to a trail or whatever or would i have to buy a trailer to get it there? Also i know iditarod goes from anchorage to wasilla but is it possible for anyone "me" to do on a atv or SM like a backwoods highway lol?

Old 11-29-2008, 11:46 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleetsB View Post
Cool thanks guys you all make good points. Can you get almost anywhere on atv's or snow "mobile-machines" <---mine sounds better lol what i mean is can i just go down my driveway and drive to a trail or whatever or would i have to buy a trailer to get it there? Also i know iditarod goes from anchorage to wasilla but is it possible for anyone "me" to do on a atv or SM like a backwoods highway lol?
Must have a trailer, unless you live by a trail. A lot of times there is not enough snow on the ground in Anchorage, but you could drive to Cantwell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska