Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 06:53 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,869,230 times

Advertisements

Hey there folks, yeah, I know, I've been a bit of a stranger, I got hurt at work, I work in the hospital of last resort with adolescence males, tis a psychiatric facility. I interceeded when one large 15 yr old went after one of his peers, ended up with a dislocated shoulder,(left, I am right handed), rotator cuff torn in a couple of places. Physical therapy just made matters worse, soooooo, surgery in next on the list, proly sometime shortly after the holidays. Thankfully, the guys I hunt with have been most helpful, I have some movement of the arm, just limited motion with shoulder. I've gotten three deer so far, still have a week and a half of season left, we are allowed two a day for the duration of the season, the season total of allowable deer is ridiculously high, something like 80 deer/hunter/season. Whitetail Deer (Odocoileus Virginianus) are something of a plague down here, keeping body shops quite busy. Suspect the N.C. dept of Insurance has something to do with this (yeah, I've heard I'm somewhat suspicious by nature, more than once) I hunt with three other guys regularly, I am the one with permission to be on the land, we will all have plenty to eat throughout the winter, lots of Deer, and the landowner has lots of cattle, the Deer are eating a lot of his crops and pastureland, we are eager to help the man out, out of the goodness of our hearts, of course. The dogs like Deer season, they get a lot of scraps, spines, heads, hides, lower leg portions, all slowly evaporate out of the yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 07:43 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Ouch. But sounds like quite the deer season down there, season here (VT) is short with low limits, and I had quite the time getting one deer. Recoil from your gun doesn't hurt your injured arm any?

Old 12-20-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Ouch. But sounds like quite the deer season down there, season here (VT) is short with low limits, and I had quite the time getting one deer. Recoil from your gun doesn't hurt your injured arm any?
Actually, no. I injured my left shoulder and I shoot right handed, also, I am using a Browing A-bolt 2 with B.O.S.S. equipped, the Boss reduces felt recoil by at least 50 % and I am shooting a .270, 130 gr ballistic tip. The guys went in and bought me a "shooting stick" a "V" shaped padded thingy atop a three piece adjustable stick with hand grip. I set the rifle in the V and can move the stick around with just elbow movement. They helped me set it to the correct height for my size, just leave it alone, put in on the ground in front of my seat (I sit at the base of a really big Oak and look out across a large pasture with a creek at 280 yds,) I quit climbing trees years ago, creatively lazy about it, but it works. I forgot to mention that our limits have no gender, does are just as fair a game as bucks (and taste better). I also have another Browning, chambered 7mm Mag, but tis overkill for the smaller deer down here. My largest Doe weighed in around 165 field dressed, hide on, the Buck was 10 lbs less.

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 12-20-2008 at 08:54 AM..

Old 12-20-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Actually, no. I injured my left shoulder and I shoot right handed, also, I am using a Browing A-bolt 2 with B.O.S.S. equipped, the Boss reduces felt recoil by at least 50 % and I am shooting a .270, 130 gr ballistic tip. The guys went in and bought me a "shooting stick" a "V" shaped padded thingy atop a three piece adjustable stick with hand grip. I set the rifle in the V and can move the stick around with just elbow movement. They helped me set it to the correct height for my size, just leave it alone, put in on the ground in front of my seat (I sit at the base of a really big Oak and look out across a large pasture with a creek at 280 yds,) I quit climbing trees years ago, creatively lazy about it, but it works. I forgot to mention that our limits have no gender, does are just as fair a game as bucks (and taste better). I also have another Browning, chambered 7mm Mag, but tis overkill for the smaller deer down here. My largest Doe weighed in around 165 field dressed, hide on, the Buck was 10 lbs less.
Well that's good. My main hunting rifle is an 8mm Mauser, with the original steel buttplate still on the stock of course. That'd give your bones a rattling I suspect. I had a friend once who had broken his left wrist (right handed too BTW), and tried shooting a mosin-nagant with me, he said it hurt (judging from his groans I believed him) even though he supported it with his arm above the wrist instead of his hand, vibration did it I guess. He went back to the .22 the rest of that target practice session. There is something to be said about those recoil pads, especially in case one were to get injured. I've never been a treestand hunter, I try to find some trees or brush to hide in usually. I think it works as good as a treestand anyways if you control your scent. Enjoy that venison, I'm enjoying mine. Good luck with your surgery, been there done that but with a leg issue...

Old 12-20-2008, 09:38 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,969,096 times
I was wondering what happened to you Dusty.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well that's good. My main hunting rifle is an 8mm Mauser, with the original steel buttplate still on the stock of course. That'd give your bones a rattling I suspect. I had a friend once who had broken his left wrist (right handed too BTW), and tried shooting a mosin-nagant with me, he said it hurt (judging from his groans I believed him) even though he supported it with his arm above the wrist instead of his hand, vibration did it I guess. He went back to the .22 the rest of that target practice session. There is something to be said about those recoil pads, especially in case one were to get injured. I've never been a treestand hunter, I try to find some trees or brush to hide in usually. I think it works as good as a treestand anyways if you control your scent. Enjoy that venison, I'm enjoying mine. Good luck with your surgery, been there done that but with a leg issue...
Thanks, I suspect all those scents they sell to conceal you from critters, non-human, are a good marketing ploy. I use, have used for a long time, only one cover scent- vanilla extract. Vanilla is a bean, it is familiar enough that it does not spook game animals, and just unfamiliar enought to arouse their curiosity. I have asked several other hunters from time to time- "Why in the world would you intentionally make yourself smell like a raccoon or skunk peed on you?" My grandmother, she also taught me to shoot, told me about Vanilla, it really does work, I've shot many deer tracking me back to the scent of Vanilla, walking straight to me. Of course, most of our Bear are on the coast, I'm in Piedmont. Other than Black Bear, any other Bear in this state are only found in the zoo.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I was wondering what happened to you Dusty.
Thanks, Barkley!!!

Old 12-20-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Thanks, I suspect all those scents they sell to conceal you from critters, non-human, are a good marketing ploy. I use, have used for a long time, only one cover scent- vanilla extract. Vanilla is a bean, it is familiar enough that it does not spook game animals, and just unfamiliar enought to arouse their curiosity. I have asked several other hunters from time to time- "Why in the world would you intentionally make yourself smell like a raccoon or skunk peed on you?" My grandmother, she also taught me to shoot, told me about Vanilla, it really does work, I've shot many deer tracking me back to the scent of Vanilla, walking straight to me. Of course, most of our Bear are on the coast, I'm in Piedmont. Other than Black Bear, any other Bear in this state are only found in the zoo.
I've used fox urine and it does work. I've also used muskrat lure. I soak a cotton ball or two in whatever I use and keep it in an old gun oil bottle (metal, Russian surplus), and put it in an open pocket. Can close the lid when I'm done hunting. I don't like dumping scents all over my clothes...

Old 12-20-2008, 11:49 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
I wonder if bear urine works....

Old 12-20-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I wonder if bear urine works....
Hummmm, if you are watching the bear as it is producing this substance, then, urine the wrong place! hehehehe, sorry, couldn't resist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska