Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 11:58 AM

178 posts, read 227,999 times

Advertisements

to Alaska. I would really like to meet those that didn't have enough money to "buy" a house and had to rent. Oh, I will be 60 in December. I am finishing up a 2 year degree(Medical Admin Assist) and if I don't get it all in this year, I can either transfer (possibly the CC in Palmer) or bag it if my online biz is going well enough. I have a little saved and will have a bit more by Spring 2013 when I plan to come up. I have my own truck and travel light now. Not even a dog since mine died 6 years ago.

I don't expect anything to be easy, and I expect to take whatever job there is available like dishwashing, whatever. I've done a bit of everything women typically work at. I am small but fit and can clean houses, cook as well as manage books. My biggest interests are website building/management and photography. I am a Jill of all trades pretty much. I have a little knowledge about a lot of jobs but have never excelled at anything except survival

For a long time I felt really discouraged about my age, felt life was over for me and in the last year I have totally turned around. Now all I see (choose to see) is the future and I do think I am a good fit for Alaska. It's either Alaska or some unknown planet because I am pretty much a loner and misfit (Isn't the Island of Misfit Toys up your way) I've always thought one day a space-ship would land and all these lil creatures that look just like me would come out and say "comon denise, it's time to go home now"

It's good to be here on the Alaska forum, I love meeting people and as some of you know, I have a sick-sense-of-humor my loving family passed on to me I am forever grateful for that since it's got me through a lot of hard, times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 01:24 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Look me up in the spring; we might have something for you.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:29 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,714 times
Actually your resume and attitude are both perfect for AK. There are help wanted signs everywhere in ANC if that's where you are headed. The district is looking for bus drivers (yeah I know) and drivers are always needed so a CDL might be worth the investment of time. Lots of rent share opportunities, some more desirable than others. I think you'll do fine.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
By the way, I'm not too far from you right now. If you ever get up to Eugene and want to meet up for coffee or whatnot, message me and we can arrange something -- even though I rarely get closer to town than Pleasant Hill.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:52 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,024,608 times
60 is the new 50!

Old 10-07-2012, 02:20 PM

Sounds like a plan I will be here all Fall and Winter so maybe we can exchange more info, like your area and what opportunities I might have there for work of any sort. Tell me more if you like, you can pm me as well,

Denise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Look me up in the spring; we might have something for you.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:23 PM

I can't agree more, especially when I decided I was going to enjoy my life instead of sit and worry how old I was getting. I am pretty active now and honestly feel many years younger then I did. Now if I could just find some exercise for my face. But I found if I wear a really, tight ponytail it gives me a life, LOL! Makes my head sore though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
60 is the new 50!

Old 10-07-2012, 02:25 PM

482 posts, read 875,132 times
I'm not your age, but I'd love to meet you when we get there! We certainly don't travel light, either. Do I still qualify? We don't fit in either. We have 5 kids so people always ask if we're Catholic or Mormon. We're neither. Then they tell us we need a TV in our room. Ha ha. Funny. Then they ask us how we afford our groceries. I'm not sure if the implication is that we must be on food stamps or welfare or something, but we're not. Although my husband makes good money, we have double the family size and one income so it's not as much money as it sounds like. A lot of that goes towards health care, because we don't get that free, either. Aside from our family size, we are really strict parents. Our kids can still act up but overall they are well behaved. We get a lot of compliments. We don't let them watch shows on TV that we deem inappropriate and our girls dress in shorts to their knees and no spaghetti straps. We homeschool them to maintain a high level of academics but also to keep the crap out of their life. We want them focusing on wholesome things. They do eat junk food but we teach them to read labels and they eat fruits and veggies and drink milk, not soda. We get a lot of heat from family members for being so extremely conservative with our kids. Their teens have pierced belly buttons and wear skimpy stuff plus lots of makeup. That stuff is fine for their kids, but it's not our vision for our kids. We would consider ourselves Christians for sure, but not judgmental. We are pretty live and let live, until it crosses a line that affects my kids in a negative way. We have all walks of life for family and friends, love and respect them all. That's where the issues come in, because most people that parent their kids like we do, seem to be way more judgmental or uptight than we are. That is where our true problem lies. Finding people who parent like we do but yet believe in live and let live (like I said, until it creates a problem in my home). Maybe you and I are both misfits and even though we're not the same age, maybe we can still be friends??

Old 10-07-2012, 02:45 PM

Default Jason and Julie

I'm sure you will find others in similar situations. One gal in Haines wrote a book about her family(5 children). Heather Lende, check her out

denise
PS hope to get to know you better on here. The web is amazing, you can meet people before you ever get to your destination

Old 10-07-2012, 02:48 PM

I had to pick a friend up from the airport last Tuesday but I won't be up that way again for some time. Too much to do with the homework and all. Plus, I am saving every dime I can to go to Alaska Thank you for the offer though and like I mentioned, be glad to keep in touch on here for now denise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
By the way, I'm not too far from you right now. If you ever get up to Eugene and want to meet up for coffee or whatnot, message me and we can arrange something -- even though I rarely get closer to town than Pleasant Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska