Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:41 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,107,482 times

Advertisements

Hello to all from a very windy Wyoming!

I have perused through some of the posts here and have, somewhat, a general idea of what to expect when moving to Alaska.

My husband currently works in Kuparuk - 2 on 2 off, though will be there for 5 weeks this hitch - bah! He has worked there for two years now and as soon as school is finished for the summer (I have a son, 15, finishing his Freshman year) we are moving to Alaska. I have been searching for homes - 3beds/2baths - garage - 1500sqf+ on at least an acre for months now...it is tricky searching online without the convenience of driving a wee bit to view the home! I finally found a home in Willow that all of us have agreed on!!!

I was wondering what to expect in that general area - geographics, demographics, etc, etc. I have lived in large cities and very rural places all of my life as my husband has and we both prefer rural living. I have gathered Willow is rural, but I just was wanting opinions, etc. As far as my son is concerned, I do know there isn't a high school directly in Willow. Where then would he more than likely be going, how far a bus ride, etc?

As far as winter and such - I know cold. I lived a few years 10 miles from the Canadian border in North Dakota; the Winter here in Wyoming was far worse than the Mat-Su area this year as far as winds and windchills, and snow at times.

My husband and I are definitely outdoorsy sorts, both of us are photographers. We also hunt and fish as often as we can. I tend to be reclusive...and Willow appealed to me for that reason. (I am not a snob...lol, just tend to be shy at times).

Any input, opinions, information would be greatly appreciated. I fly to Alaska the end of next month for a week of home shopping/purchasing; we move as soon as school is finished at the end of May. I am ecstatic, to say the least, for this is one place I have longed to live in.

Keep an eye to the sky for the Aurorae this night! My husband was out with his camera late and shot some amazing images. We were to have them here in Wyoming as well, but the entire state was covered in clouds....bugger!

Thank you all...have a lovely day of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 02:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
You'll like Willow. The high school kids go to school in Houston, I think. It's a real spread out community; goes for ten or so miles along the parks Highway. There isn't any real downtown or anything. Really beautiful area though, good choice.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:04 PM

Thank you for that information...Houston isn't far in the scheme of things, he should be fine...he travels an hour by bus now as it is.

I kind of stumbled onto this community, having focused mainly on Wasilla/Palmer areas since I began hunting online for homes. By fortune, a new listing popped up yesterday and we all fell in love with it. Just have to wait for all the pre-qualifying loan work to go through...ugh...and hope it is still there when I fly to AK next month.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:09 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Willow looks like a great area to relocate to.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:13 PM

It does look that way...it is just frustrating I cannot drive over willy nilly to see it I have moved often in my 37 years and this will be the second time I've had to shop from a distance and the time before there wasn't the online capability. My husband's company is moving us, hence we more or less have to go by their schedule.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:03 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
This winter in the Mat-Su Valley has been a very mild one. March is typically one of our biggest snow months, but we got no snow at all and it has been unseasonably warm for this time of year. I wouldn't count on this winter being "typical." Even still, the vast majority of our winters are much warmer than what you are used to in Wyoming. Normally, our winters are similar in temperature to what you might experience in Denver, CO, or Omaha, NE, with a little more snow.

Willow is a nice area, and as of 1992 it is the unofficial capital of Alaska (Alaskans approved moving the capital from Juneau to Willow, but voted against funding the move). Willow is the half-way point between Anchorage and Talkeetna. Willow is also where the Iditarod is restarted after the "show" start in Anchorage. Because Willow is slightly colder than Anchorage or Wasilla, the snow stays on the ground a little longer in Willow. There is also excellent King salmon fishing in the Susitna River near Willow. You can also take the West Willow - Fishhook Road through Hatcher Pass in the Summer to Palmer for a very nice scenic drive.

Temperatures are a bit colder in Willow than in Anchorage in the winter (still warmer than Wyoming though), and a bit warmer than Anchorage in the summer (but not as warm or as humid as Wyoming in the summer).

Metlakatla is right, Willow high school students attend the high school in Houston. It is only about 15 miles away. Anchorage is about a 1.5 hour drive (about 70 miles) from Willow (under perfect conditions), which is probably where you will buy most of your bulk supplies.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:41 PM

Thank you much! As I've said, the rural living will not be a strange thing for me. My husband and I both graduated from the same high school (class size was 22) and we had to venture off for supplies every couple of weeks for supplies. I will not mind the snow - for if there is a lot of snow, it generally means there aren't the winds - and the winds here have nearly done me in this year. Today and yesterday we've had 50 mph winds with 85 mph gusts and I have the branches in the yard to prove it. Ugh! It has actually been an odd winter here this season for winds and cold...this time last year, the trees were budding and I had wee sprouts from bulbs. Not this year! I lived a few years in Colorado and the winters were far more tolerable than Wyoming. Don't get me wrong, I love Wyoming for all that it has here - scenery, history, etc....but it also is becoming 'crowded' in a sense and housing has become ridiculous.
I have no desire to live in Anchorage, I have nothing against it, but I am not a city person in the slightest. My husband has already decided that if the forecast for weather is not good, he will head off for Anchorage early and stay the night to catch his flight for the Slopes, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Again, thank you....I know that there have been many questions posted re: relocations/moving, etc. I appreciate yon time!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:13 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,035,075 times
It actually depends where you are in Willow as far as high school boundaries. If you are beyond Willow Creek which is still thought of as Willow you will go to Su Valley High School...which isn't that bad. It's a smaller school.

Here are the school boundaries. (http://www.matsuk12.us/RunScript.asp?Page=173&p=ASP%5CPg173.asp - broken link)

Willow has a lot of snow and is both a winter and summer play ground for Anchorites. Snowmachines in the winter and fishing in the summer.

There is very little wind compared to the Palmer-Wasilla area but it does get colder. I was showing houses up there about a month ago. It was 0 here and a solid -30 there.

Lots to do in the Willow area if you like the outdoors. We always go there to watch the Iditarod start.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:52 PM

Right now, the lack of winds such as here appeals to me greatly! Although, with the sun setting, the winds have somewhat abated. Now if the clouds will leave, there may be a chance for Aurora even here, though they aren't near what they are like in Alaska.

I know nothing of the schools there, something that will have to be looked at once we arrive. My son is resilient, I am a little concerned sure, but he is looking so forward to the move. As far as the playground...in the summer when the man is home, we won't be around much
Thank you for posting - I am slowly getting the idea. And we've been pre-qualified!!! WOOT! That will help!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:12 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
I loved Wyoming when I drove through it in the early '90s. I can understand wanting to move further north though. Congrats on getting prequalified!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska