Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 04:49 PM

5 posts, read 14,255 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have always wanted to move to Alaska, me especially since I’m 1/2 Tlingit and have always loved snow, winter, mountains, etc.

My husband is overseas but he’s coming home for nearly three weeks. In that time we are packing, moving, flying with three kids, a new grandbaby, and two feisty cats. We’ll be buying a vehicle in AK and driving to sign documents on our new home (near Wasilla).

I have never before been so frightened, stressed and excited. I’ve wanted this for so long but now that it’s here I’m panicking.

I’ve lived in Colorado since I was 11 (I’m 35) so this is a big change. My husband has to go back to Iraq so basically the kids and I are being delivered and left to our own devises.

I guess what I’m looking for is for people to tell me how wonderful the area is and how much they love living in “the Valley.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 06:06 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,371,969 times
Hi Quiet! Well wishes on your travels! I found when we traveled I would just take it one day at a time and prioritize the things I wanted to get done. Shelter, heat, food. The little stuff can be done after the man-guy deploys again.
Many thanks to him for his service!
We live in Wasilla also and we like it. You can get just about anything you need in Anchorage........and then it's nice to leave the city and come home here .
Post any other questions you might have and we'll try to help ya out...
Dawn

Old 12-22-2008, 06:43 PM

823 posts, read 1,738,133 times
We moved up from Wyoming in June and can't imagine going back. After the initial unpacking (which you have all winter to do), you'll get out and see how beautiful it is and never want to leave. Good luck on your move and if you need anything we're right here and helps around the corner. Merry Christmas...

Old 12-22-2008, 07:55 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,496,234 times
Default keep some stuff out

It goes without saying that you'll undoubtedly pack some of the stuff you'll need right away in the last box that gets opened this spring, thats just the way it goes when you move.

A couple of things to pack in the "keep where you can get at it right way" box that you might not think of:

shot records for the kids, you'll need them for registering them in school
recent health certificate and rabies vaccination records for the pets, you'll need them whether you fly or drive them up
snow shovels, ice scrapers, jumper cables, cold-weather car stuff

Good luck on the move, it's not much fun in winter, but then it's not much fun no matter WHEN you do it.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:59 PM

145 posts, read 571,800 times
Hi Quiet,

I moved here in August with my kids, grandkids...son-in-law and cats. It *was* stressful as we were supposed to be here in the beginning of June...but it has been fantastic.

We, too, live outside of Wasilla. There are only two negatives: internet service and my grandson's school situation. AND, since we did not move here to be on the net all the time...that is fine, and we are just going to have to work out something for my grandson.

BUT, the positives are so awesome:

The people are so, so, so nice, everywhere you look the scenery is beautiful; I staggered out to the outhouse the other morning and was almost eyeball to eyeball with a moose :-)

I am a Vermonter who shortly lived in Florida, and as wonderful as Vermont is, it cannot, IMHO, compare with Alaska.

I wouldn't mind living out further, and maybe we will someday, but for now, these 10 acres are great. IF we need something, there is Anchorage, but you have to go only if/when you want to.

Your kids will love it; it is peaceful and beautiful.

Just one day at a time...as the previous poster said; I try not to get too stressed, there is a lot of winter left to unpack those boxes.

GOOD LUCK with everything,
Deb

Old 12-22-2008, 08:01 PM

7,538 posts, read 5,790,284 times
You won't be alone when he goes back.. I am akvarmit's better half and we are, like Grill God, right up the fish hook from you.. When you get into town just shot me or akvarmit a pm and we would be happy to take you out for some good chow, coffee and conversation.. One thing you will find when you get here is that people are very friendly so we pass that on...

Oh, and Magoon is right on with the moose.. They seem out of place when you first see them but you get used to them standing along side the road staring at you like they just had a frontal lobotomy.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:18 PM

285 posts, read 617,296 times
Quiet, please add our thanks to your man for serving. I know exactly how you feel (sorta). My Old Guy and I are moving back to SE Alaska after 13 years in Texas. There is no real way to describe the excitement, anticipation, worry, stress, packing (& unpacking, only to repack), reservation making, joy and all the other emotions mixed in. Glad your going "home." Have a safe trip and a Merry Christmas to your family.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:35 AM

32 posts, read 72,975 times
You may see elsewhere that Ive quoted myself for years that, "If it wasn't for Fairbanks, I'd be in Colorado!" I know you're not coming to Fbx, but the sentiment still holds. I lived in Western CO for a while and I just loved it there... obviously I love it here more! So - don't be scared =) You cam be all those other things, just not frightened! Hope the trip goes well!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:08 PM

5 posts, read 14,255 times
Thank you for the replies. A lot has been happening and our offer on a house in Wasilla was accepted today, which gives us four weeks to move there! I've wanted this for so long but now that it's here I'm an emotional wreck and I don't know where this is coming from. I even had some fits of crying throughout the day. I'm usually much more "in control" of things, lol. At any rate, I keep perusing the board and that helps a great deal.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,288,064 times
It's a big move moving up here, a lot of emotions can flow, they sure did with me. All I can say is press on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska