Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 11:58 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkawa View Post
Has any one of the above people who are complaining about their free land in Alaska done any research BEFORE taking advantage of this great opportunity? Do as I am doing, get on the internet and check out the area, the businesses, the local government and public services. Then once you decided to accept the free land instead of complaining that there were no jobs available why did YOU not CREATE a job!! With communications as they are now you can create, make and sell or recieve anything from anywhere in the world and ship your product (at added expense to the buyer of course) to where ever it needs to go. I am getting ready to apply for the free land opportunity and yes I do have a retirement Social Security income that will help with my expenses but in no means enough to qualify me as a rich person. I do not plan on just sitting around complaining about how bad things are that are being given to me. In my openion that is exactly what is wrong with this country today - YOU expect everything to be handed to you for free but only if it is PERFECT. You don't want to do anything to improve things, you just want it all handed to you! All of you who have posted the above notes make me angry and tick me off. Get real - you have to work for what you want - even if part of it is freely given to you.
Lets see, there is a school that employs about twenty some odd people, the City employs about five or six people and the DMV employs about one part time.... That pretty much wraps it up unless you work out at Clear AFB and someone has to die to have an opening there.

So with a population of about 250 to 300 people and no real disposible income for about 60% of the people, what kind of job would you create?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 12:42 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkawa View Post
Has any one of the above people who are complaining about their free land in Alaska done any research BEFORE taking advantage of this great opportunity? Do as I am doing, get on the internet and check out the area, the businesses, the local government and public services. Then once you decided to accept the free land instead of complaining that there were no jobs available why did YOU not CREATE a job!! With communications as they are now you can create, make and sell or recieve anything from anywhere in the world and ship your product (at added expense to the buyer of course) to where ever it needs to go. I am getting ready to apply for the free land opportunity and yes I do have a retirement Social Security income that will help with my expenses but in no means enough to qualify me as a rich person. I do not plan on just sitting around complaining about how bad things are that are being given to me. In my openion that is exactly what is wrong with this country today - YOU expect everything to be handed to you for free but only if it is PERFECT. You don't want to do anything to improve things, you just want it all handed to you! All of you who have posted the above notes make me angry and tick me off. Get real - you have to work for what you want - even if part of it is freely given to you.
About the bolded comment...you're a bit late to apply for the free land. If you'd actually done the research that you're trying to browbeat others for not doing, you would know that.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:11 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
About the bolded comment...you're a bit late to apply for the free land. If you'd actually done the research that you're trying to browbeat others for not doing, you would know that.
More than a bit. Almost four yrs late. The only word people saw in the offering was free. Totally clueless about everything else, which is why the town had to foreclose on most of the lots it gave away.

What? You mean I have to build a certain size home within a certain period of time in a remote area where there's no jobs and you have to drive 20 miles just to buy a pack of butts?

Forgetaboutit.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:22 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
Suckers....

Old 12-06-2010, 02:52 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Lets see, there is a school that employs about twenty some odd people, the City employs about five or six people and the DMV employs about one part time.... That pretty much wraps it up unless you work out at Clear AFB and someone has to die to have an opening there.

So with a population of about 250 to 300 people and no real disposible income for about 60% of the people, what kind of job would you create?
A bar and put everyone on credit. Homes can be used as credit, cars, TVs, wives and bear rugs etc. also.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
A bar and put everyone on credit. Homes can be used as credit, cars, TVs, wives and bear rugs etc. also.
The "Dew Drop" is only open during the summer, in the winter, you have to drive out to Clear Sky to buy beer or a dinner. That is out on the Highway about 11 miles away.

Anderson in the Winter is pretty dead place, by the way, one of the few houses built with the "Free Land" program just was sold at auction for non payment. That leaves two or three places still, all the others are history. I would imagine that the city may sell them as soon as they get the titles cleared back up... Seems a lot of folks got leans on the property and then took the money and left town, now the city has to pay to get the titles cleared....

Nothing is "free"....

Old 12-07-2010, 08:46 AM

A very good burger at Clear Sky!

Old 12-07-2010, 12:26 PM

854 posts, read 1,978,088 times
free burgers?

Old 12-07-2010, 01:37 PM

Nope.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
A very good burger at Clear Sky!
I will buy you one on your next trip through!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska