Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2009, 08:02 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,562,391 times

Advertisements

Ok, I forget who asked me the question about feeling remorse about eating meat. I have to say, I sometimes do. The difference between the fur & the meat is that the animals that are killed for fur are strictly killed just for that..the fur. At least w/beef, pork, etc. the whole animal is used. I know, that sounds kinda gross. Although I'm sure up in Alaska, they use the whole animal as well as the fur, so that's probably different. Now as far as the practices they use to get the fur, if they actually kill the animal humanely & not do what I've seen....well, I still don't agree w/it but it's better than the torturing & skinning. I don't know, this fur story has been an issue for a very long time. I can't believe that someone would make this stuff up. And why would PETA deliberately kill animals? That just doesn't make sense to me. To me, the only agenda they have is to get the word out about animal cruelty, which to me is important.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:10 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Ok, I forget who asked me the question about feeling remorse about eating meat. I have to say, I sometimes do. The difference between the fur & the meat is that the animals that are killed for fur are strictly killed just for that..the fur.
I do & don't agree with that statement. I agree that the animals, let's say mink, are killed primarily for their fur, but the rest of them aren't just tossed in a dumpster. Their waste is returned to the soil as fertilizer, the meat is turned into animal feed, bonemeal & other products. Mink oil is used to produce hypo-allergic soaps, cosmetics & fine leather preservatives. I suppose humans could eat the meat if there was a demand for it.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:11 PM

823 posts, read 1,732,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I do & don't agree with that statement. I agree that the animals, let's say mink, are killed primarily for their fur, but the rest of them aren't just tossed in a dumpster. Their waste is returned to the soil as fertilizer, the meat is turned into animal feed, bonemeal & other products. Mink oil is used to produce hypo-allergic soaps, cosmetics & fine leather preservatives. I suppose humans could eat the meat if there was a demand for it.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Hmm....well, I see where you're coming from. For me, I just am very against fur, always have been. But does anyone really know that PETA actually kills animals & what the reasoning is?

Old 03-25-2009, 08:17 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,103,223 times
Quote:
Hmm....well, I see where you're coming from. For me, I just am very against fur, always have been. But does anyone really know that PETA actually kills animals & what the reasoning is?
There are articles all across the Web and in periodicals, et al.
For whatever it's worth - there is even a website:
PETA Kills Animals | PetaKillsAnimals.com

Old 03-25-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
There are articles all across the Web and in periodicals, et al.
For whatever it's worth - there is even a website:
PETA Kills Animals | PetaKillsAnimals.com
That's screwed up if that is true. It's so hard what to believe nowadays. I didn't even know that PETA actually took animals in, I thought they were more of an informational public service announcement kind of organization.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:44 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,846,302 times
Quote:
Ok, I forget who asked me the question about feeling remorse about eating meat. I have to say, I sometimes do. The difference between the fur & the meat is that the animals that are killed for fur are strictly killed just for that..the fur. At least w/beef, pork, etc. the whole animal is used. I know, that sounds kinda gross. Although I'm sure up in Alaska, they use the whole animal as well as the fur, so that's probably different. Now as far as the practices they use to get the fur, if they actually kill the animal humanely & not do what I've seen....well, I still don't agree w/it but it's better than the torturing & skinning. I don't know, this fur story has been an issue for a very long time. I can't believe that someone would make this stuff up. And why would PETA deliberately kill animals? That just doesn't make sense to me. To me, the only agenda they have is to get the word out about animal cruelty, which to me is important.
I am sure you have heard about being careful with donating to charitable organizations, as so many of these places take the money, but only a minute percentage goes to the actual cause, the rest is overhead, salaries, etc. These people have been around a long time and the name is known. It is easy to play on peoples emotions especially when animal lovers, but they neglect to explain the big picture. I am sure at this point that PETA is so large with so many little 'franchises' that there is no monitoring of what happens, and it is disgusting...

Old 03-25-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I am sure you have heard about being careful with donating to charitable organizations, as so many of these places take the money, but only a minute percentage goes to the actual cause, the rest is overhead, salaries, etc. These people have been around a long time and the name is known. It is easy to play on peoples emotions especially when animal lovers, but they neglect to explain the big picture. I am sure at this point that PETA is so large with so many little 'franchises' that there is no monitoring of what happens, and it is disgusting...
Oh yes, I've heard of that especially after Hurricane Katrina where people were giving money & then were outraged when they heard it was basically going to people's salaries, like you mentioned. Well, I guess I'll give you guys something...if anything, although I still admire PETA for the most part, what you have presented me w/gives me something to think about. My god, I can honestly say I believe this is the first time being on CD for a year that a thread has actually made me think!!

Old 03-25-2009, 08:53 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,243,334 times
The only organizations I have, and probably ever will, donate to are Humane Society and Salvation Army. My aunt gave a bit chunk of her will to the Humane Society.

The rest, just don't seem to use the monies as I feel they should. I'm sure there are others that are good, I just feel these 2 are the best.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
The only organizations I have, and probably ever will, donate to are Humane Society and Salvation Army. My aunt gave a bit chunk of her will to the Humane Society.

The rest, just don't seem to use the monies as I feel they should. I'm sure there are others that are good, I just feel these 2 are the best.
I gave $50. to the Houston Humane Society right after Hurricane Katrina after seeing all these stories about the poor pets that were left & transported there. A small amount but it was the least I could do. I also give a small amount out of each paycheck towards our public museum, because I love it! And also, I get a free membership
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska