Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 03:19 PM

3 posts, read 11,417 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
My fiancee and I are planning on moving to Alaska(Juneau) next summer and are debating on our method of travel. We're relocating from Florida and are debating whether driving across the country and up to Prince Rupert, and taking the ferry from there(rather than Bellingham to save $), or, just selling most of our stuff, including our cars, and flying, and than replacing them when we get there. I'm wondering if this is feasible, or even a good idea. We're trying to figure out the most cost effective method for moving. Any help would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 03:21 PM

4 posts, read 11,580 times
Take a ferry from Prince Rupert. That is the way that our family traveled. Plus you get to see part of the Country and Canada. Great experience! The Ferry ride is wonderful.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:25 PM

860 posts, read 2,055,535 times
Any household items or vehicles you sell will cost way more to replace in Juneau than it will cost to bring with you. The ferry is spendy too for vehicles but you can haul whatever you can across country with you, put it on the barge in Seattle while keeping one car with you to take up to Prince Rupert. The drive through Canada is breathtaking with lots of beautiful camping spots on the way and/or motels if you have time to take advantage of the sights. You can set up a tent on the solarium deck and have your own little home onboard, there are great showers on the next floor down. It's a blast of a way to travel!! Don't forget to keep your camera with you.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:06 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,539,630 times
If you want to save even more money, drive up to Skagway and take the ferry down. You're looking at 1-2 days additional driving, but the cost will be about 1/3 of the cost from Prince Rupert. You will miss out on some of the most scenic stretches between Ketchikan and Juneau though.

I would recommend selling most of your stuff and just keeping the essentials, mainly because you won't use a lot of it. I figure we should have brought about half of what we did, maybe even less. The company I worked for paid a lot for stuff we ended up selling or throwing away.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:44 AM

32 posts, read 74,773 times
Hey there my GF is already there and Im heading up in august or when I get a job whever hoccurse first. Im also coming from florida.

If I have a job im shipping my truck(tacoma with camper including 600lbs of our stuff) to seattle and driving to prince rupert. No job and im driving the whole way across the us. cost is only about $400 diffrence.

when are you guys going up?

Old 07-01-2009, 07:28 AM

We're not planning on going until next summer at the earliest. I'm graduating this fall from UNF, and we want to wait until the summer.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:03 PM

what 'stuff' would you recommend leaving?

Old 07-01-2009, 02:50 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,539,630 times
At least half of your summer clothes. You'll need some for vacations and when it gets nice here, but you don't need that much. Any warm water recreation gear that can't be adapted to cold water use. I'm thinking like a surfboard, no waves here anyway. Large pieces of furniture that might not fit into a small house or apartment. I'm also thinking quantity here. Antiques and family heirlooms are an exception as long as you use them. From a personal preference now, if you have a picture tube TV, I'd leave it and eventually get a flat screen. This is mainly because of weight and bulkiness.

Consider not bringing anything that you do not use regularly now. For instance, if you occasionally use a bike now, you'll likely use it less here, even though people here bike in all conditions. That goes for clothes too, unless it's cooler weather clothes that you'll wear here. I'd also leave fitness equipment and weight sets simply because you may not have a place to put them.

This is from someone who moved here with all our stuff. We've been purging it ever since.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:00 AM

32 posts, read 74,773 times
im flying to seattle on the 7/28 and then taking the ferry on the 30th.
almost all our summer clothes are staying in florida Im only bringing work clothes and outdoor gear.(which I seem to have a pile of) and my home brew making gear. kitchen stuff my poor tacoma is loaded.

I landed a job that fits me to a T and is in my degree field This is all coming together for us.

Let me know if I can do anything to lend a hand. Im going to take lots of pictures and document everything.

****If you like to hike, buy and bring a good set of waterproof hiking boots much cheaper down here.

Cost break down thus far are
$250- shipping large boxes of her stuff to her USPS parcel post is cheap but taked on average 12 business days. Priority takes 3 business day.(flat rate boxes are awesome!)

$102 one way ticket from Jax to seattle(book by october 20 and you can get the same deal)
$975- to ship the truck door to door from TLH to SEA.
Ferry from Bellingham to Juneau
$877- ferry ticket for my doubl cab tacoma with camper top
$326- Ferry ticket for me no room rental Im picthing a tent and sleeping in the atrium.

thats what Ive spent thus far.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,820 times
Hi
wow that's fantastic thanks for that!
make money from home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska