Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:46 PM

16 posts, read 26,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
'tis fine and I didn't mean to sound rude...most people know what you posted!.hahaha...the more parts manufactured in China the less apt our vehicles are to pass inspection...an inspections were suppose to end at the end of WWII...if anyone knows the history of that tax!
Rudeness -- much of it is shaped by perception. For instance, I didn't feel you were being rude to me in you're first two responses. Yes, I responded to something two years ago and, yes, you're probably right that I should just let something die. Regardless, I didn't feel slighted when you brought it up because it's your opinion and I'm not about to hate on someone for sharing their point of view.

I stayed away from the old thread monitor comment because it seemed like you two had some history to which I was unaware, so a response by me would be out of place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 09:40 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
This is reminding me of why I don't like California either. Although at least they have C.A.R.B. which will certify any non-oem components.

Although the snif test should be the ultimate sayer of "yay or nay"... I guess no one that has been denied has decided to file a lawsuit in Federal Court against it.

We used to have inspection and emmissions testing here back in the 1970's - then it went away and came back in the 1990's and now it is gone. The reason, is that a large majority of cars were passing the tests and we were generating more pollution and wasting more fuel due to waiting in line to get the inspection done. The people it was designed to prevent from bypassing pollution control equipment, would put the equipment on, go through the test, and then remove it again...

To fail someone for putting a different brand radiator hose on is just plain silly. I can make my truck or car put out more "pollution" with a programmer. The programmer will return the vehicle to "factory" settings anytime I want... So in 30 minutes I can change it, get the "inspection", and then change it back...

Old 12-19-2011, 10:07 AM

941 posts, read 1,791,549 times
There was a story in The ADN some time ago where the Commissioners were debating ending the inspection system entirely. The argument used to extend the time before the cessation of the testing was because the inspectors had put up money so they could participate in the scam and needed time to recoup their investment. Undoubtedly the schemers were political contributors and needed more rewarding with a decent size chunk of your income for their investment in scamming the public.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:21 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
The Anchorage Assembly formally voted to end the IM program a few moths ago (in the Spring sometime I believe). After the vote, the State officially applied to the Federal EPA for permission to end the program. The EPA has been dragging their feet to issue the approval - and once approval is granted the State (by Federal Law) must still wait another 6 months after that before testing can actually end.

The hang up is with the EPA/Obama Administration. Period.

Another example of Alaska held hostage by the Democrats.

Last edited by Moose Whisperer; 12-19-2011 at 10:32 AM..

Old 12-19-2011, 05:57 PM

16 posts, read 26,095 times
Default Not a Political Party Issue

I'm not so sure that it's entirely due to the Democratic party as is...well, I'm fairly certainly that it isn't the fault of the Democrats...period. Our federal government seems to drag its feet on just about everything -- regardless of which party is in control. For instance, would the 6 month "grace period" be in effect if the Republicans controlled the House, Senate and WH?

It would be fun to speculate all sorts of scenarios but it doesn't do us any good. Honestly, I think this is more about a "wait and see" approach with regard to benzene levels than anything else.

After a quick Google session, I've found an article referring to the more pressing issue in the IM tests I mentioned yesterday -- the level of benzene floating in the air. Supposedly, as of mid-2012, we shouldn't have to worry about benzene levels any longer. I wouldn't be surprised to see an order from the EPA approving the retirement of the IM program after there is confirmation of the lower benzene percentage in gasoline. Again, I don't think it's a party issue as much as it is a wait and see approach.

For now, I'll just bite the bullet and pay for another round of tests for both my vehicles with the knowledge that I'll probably have to submit to the test just once more after January. Well, either that or purchase newer vehicles sometime before December 2013/January 2014.

http://www.theolympian.com/2010/05/1...d-vehicle.html

Last edited by BadBoysDriveAudi; 12-19-2011 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: Including URL for Article.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:27 AM

941 posts, read 1,791,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
The Anchorage Assembly formally voted to end the IM program a few moths ago (in the Spring sometime I believe). After the vote, the State officially applied to the Federal EPA for permission to end the program. The EPA has been dragging their feet to issue the approval - and once approval is granted the State (by Federal Law) must still wait another 6 months after that before testing can actually end.

The hang up is with the EPA/Obama Administration. Period.

Another example of Alaska held hostage by the Democrats.
Moose I know everything, in your opinion, is due to the Democrats but that is a somewhat small view of the problem. The laws pertaining to the environmental issue were all passed many years ago and at that time there was almost universal approval of these laws. At that time Obama wasn't even on your radar and the EPA made regulations as allowed under the underlying law. Your example is full of you know what and isn't up to your basic standards. I'd bet you don't even know which President signed the law nor what the makeup of the congresspeople who voted for the law was at that time nor do you even know who appointed the EPA people who came up with the regulations you are now busting your arse over. So a narrow minded response is really unbecoming to you. The fault lies in Alaska; some previous administration chose to pass a law requiring inspections. Some previous administration voted to allow private entities to conduct those inspections, and that allowed some group of scammers to get into the act who now need extra time to make their ill gotten gains so they could now make campaign contributions to those who gave them the extra dollars from your pocket. So at least get some facts straight for the rant and leave the present administration in DC out of the line of fire. Which party passed the law allowing for private businesses to conduct the inspections in Alaska? And then who entered that business and now needs some favorable treatment? Slam them because then your rant would hit the correct parties. Actually in Alaska the chances are it was the Repubs who did all the above wasn't it?

Old 12-20-2011, 12:05 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
Moose I know everything, in your opinion, is due to the Democrats but that is a somewhat small view of the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoysDriveAudi View Post
I'm not so sure that it's entirely due to the Democratic party as is...well, I'm fairly certainly that it isn't the fault of the Democrats...period. Our federal government seems to drag its feet on just about everything -- regardless of which party is in control. For instance, would the 6 month "grace period" be in effect if the Republicans controlled the House, Senate and WH?

It would be fun to speculate all sorts of scenarios but it doesn't do us any good.
Once again you (and now this other guy) simply demonstrate the behavior you accuse me of. The Repubs are not in charge of the Executive branch at this time, if they were it would be their fault. But it is Obama/Dems in charge right now so it is their fault. I am not the Hyperpartisan who gets his hackles up every time his precious Democrats are called out for their anti-liberty obstructionism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
The laws pertaining to the environmental issue were all passed many years ago and at that time there was almost universal approval of these laws. At that time Obama wasn't even on your radar and the EPA made regulations as allowed under the underlying law. Your example is full of you know what and isn't up to your basic standards. I'd bet you don't even know which President signed the law nor what the makeup of the congresspeople who voted for the law was at that time nor do you even know who appointed the EPA people who came up with the regulations you are now busting your arse over. So a narrow minded response is really unbecoming to you. The fault lies in Alaska; some previous administration chose to pass a law requiring inspections. Some previous administration voted to allow private entities to conduct those inspections, and that allowed some group of scammers to get into the act who now need extra time to make their ill gotten gains so they could now make campaign contributions to those who gave them the extra dollars from your pocket. So at least get some facts straight for the rant and leave the present administration in DC out of the line of fire. Which party passed the law allowing for private businesses to conduct the inspections in Alaska? And then who entered that business and now needs some favorable treatment? Slam them because then your rant would hit the correct parties. Actually in Alaska the chances are it was the Repubs who did all the above wasn't it?
Did you even bother to read what I said? I am not interested how the law was originally passed. My comment very specifically addressed to why this test is still lingering today even though it was target for termination long ago. And yes, it is exactly the fault of the DEMOCRATS. The test was first voted for cancellation in 2007, but in the 2008 Anchorage Midterms the DEMOCRATS picked up an extra seat. I remember it clearly, one of their very first items of business was to reverse the decision to cancel - before then ink was barely even dry on the original decision. Had the process started in 2007 as originally intended, it would have been long gone by now and all of this would be moot. However, the DEMOCRATS (including the weasel BEGICH) are 100% to blame for why we are still trying to kill this Monkey on our backs here in 2011 (soon to be 2012).

Old 12-20-2011, 10:45 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
I must be one of the few that like the IM test and DEFINITLY think it NEEDS to be extended to diesels. Who really wants people burning oil and producing black smoke or having diesel exhaust getting into their heater intake or in their windows. Its nasty and anchorage has enough population density to warrent an IM test.

Granted I hate paying out the 50$ every 2 years but its pretty nasty and irritating getting behind someone burning oil or running a diesel. Have to shut the heater/AC off and keep the windows up until the light turns, kinda sucks. I guess thats just part of dealing with the rude inconsiderate people of the 21st centry in america. I also think they need to ban semi trucks driving around in rush hour traffic as well, its dangerous and the black smoke is nasty.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:50 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
Ok I did a little reasearch. Only certain areas in AK requires emissions. I am still concerned about being scammed when I try and buy a car when I get up there. Is it common practice to go to a mechanic during a test drive for a quick reading?
I think Alaska emissions, according to the EPA, have something to do with moose flatulence.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:23 PM

635 posts, read 1,654,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
I think Alaska emissions, according to the EPA, have something to do with moose flatulence.
CUTE! If thats the case....start taxing the moose. If we r being charged for their flatulance...they need a fart tax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska