Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:34 AM

860 posts, read 2,055,188 times

Advertisements

Okay fellas, here's the fish story.

My buddie and I always can't wait for the Wrangell King Salmon Derby starting May 15. We get all geared up, stock the lund with beer and goodies and fish our hearts out every day of the month-long derby we can. We catch fish, keep the smokehouses going - but never one even worth weighing in. There might be a coupla reasons for this.

Like the time we decided to start out at "the nose" about a 40 minute run to get all the way out there and realize we forgot the herring. No problem, in the distance we see a big fancy yaught (geeze, I can't even spell it!) - toodled up to them and traded some smoked king for some herring for bait.
Then we were at one of the hotspots with about eight other boats from us in our 14' lund to commercial trollers. We were fishing, munching, drinking, smoking and weaving in and out of the other boats just right. After a couple hours we wondered why we weren't even getting a bite until we realized neither one of us had a pole in the water.
Then we figured out what we needed to do. Wanna hear the rest? Self portrait the beginning of the derby that year- '06?

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g256/GrammasCabin/readyforthederby.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 11:46 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Duh! of course we want the rest of the story!

Old 08-11-2009, 12:16 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
keep it com'n girl!!! you could write a book of short stories!!!

Old 08-11-2009, 12:30 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,371,732 times
Of course we want the rest of the story.
Why do I feel like this is Paul Harvey on the radio!

Old 08-11-2009, 03:36 PM

860 posts, read 2,055,188 times
Actually there was a Paul Harvey brodcast 10 or so years ago when an eagle took off with her poodle.

So anyway, what we decided was that if we can't catch the dam thing we'd make one. We waited for someone to buy a frige and copped the box. Not my artwork - hers, she's one of those amazing hidden Alaskan artists
. We put or winning fish in trash bags & laid it in the bottom of the skiff. Early last drizzily day of the derby we found ourselves just the right distance from ole one-eyed Pete and his boatload of tipsychronies on one side and the State Ferry just coming to port on the other. As we snuck the fish from it's bags, grunting and straining to lift it, we hollered "Hey Pete! Look what we got!" He answered back something in the Alaskan language along with "What did it weigh?" We replied we had not weighed it yet as we were waiting to catch 2nd prize too. As he pitched a fit a steady barrage of flashes eminated from the decks of the ferry. Those people were taking pictures of the biggest fish they'd ever seen. We then departed for the harbor as if to weigh in our fish but headed for sights unseen for the rest of the day instead.

About 15 minutes before derby closing hour we tied up to the city float and, rain pounding by now, walked the two blocks to the weigh station in front of the Totem Bar. Looking around for hidden witnesses we pulled our fish from the bags, whipped open the totem bar door, all out of breath, straining to hold our catch between us and announced to the long-faced bunch staring into their glasses that we had a fish to weigh. Faces lit, people jumped up from their barstools with "Oh my God" - then a moment of silence followed by "Oh.....my.....God .

We had to weigh it on the sidewalk scales, of course. Nonchalntly pulling down we actually had it up to 93 lbs. in one photo about which time the leading contender with a 51 pounder came driving past, mouth opened wide, whipped a Uee and came stomping across the street .
Back to City Market after leaving the film for 1-hour developing we found the whole store crowded around the counter with our photos lined up, everyone wondering which one of us caught it. We told them they'd find out when 1st prize was announced.
It hung in the Totem for a long time. I think it's been delegated to the back room by now and we still haven't caught a winner.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:46 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
you deserve a beer on that one!!!

Old 08-11-2009, 03:48 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,777,423 times
See, I know you enjoy life to the fullest! Great story

Old 08-11-2009, 03:53 PM

202 posts, read 821,007 times
Default Too much

That's a whopper of a fish tale.
I heard there were some pranksters in Sitka that got a bunch of tires on top of mountain in view of town and set them on fire. They had the whole town believing the volcano was going off.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:38 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snkalaska View Post
That's a whopper of a fish tale.
I heard there were some pranksters in Sitka that got a bunch of tires on top of mountain in view of town and set them on fire. They had the whole town believing the volcano was going off.
April Fool's Day, 1974

One of the greatest April Fool's pranks ever, orchestrated by Porky Bickar

http://www.olypen.com/sitkacds/porky.htm

Old 08-12-2009, 12:40 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
What fun! I love hearing what you do. It's so great to hear from someone who makes her own adventures excellent.

You know, one thing I really enjoy about the Alaska threads is the fact that even though Alaska is so huge, in many ways it's like reading about a small town. That is livin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska