Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 06:50 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,781,302 times

Advertisements

Somthing tells me Met has already decidied what will be on the menu. And it will not be another average diner in the lineup....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 06:55 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Are there enough people there to make another restaurant profitable?..I would put the girlies to work and do that if there is...you don't need an extensive menu (to keep costs down), just basic good food that is better than they can do at home Maybe salads, soups, special of the day you pick...some sinful desserts...
Yeah I think I'll just put moonshine on the menu and be done with it. The kids are old enough now to sell it.

Seriously yes....during the fishing season, anyway. People work a lot, or fish a lot, and standing around cooking just isn't too appealing for most of them. The local places are disgusting---bought in Seattle and deep fried on POW is pretty much it. There is one place that's all right but it's a bit of a drive.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:23 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,861,039 times
Don't forget those little liqueur-laced truffles...worth a fortune in my mind

Old 08-29-2009, 07:40 PM

291 posts, read 1,075,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I have no faith on governments nor the private sector, they are both the same, except that I give my money to the government so it can pay my bills, or I just give my money to the doctor to take care of my bills. By giving my money to the government, a huge amount of red tape is created. We can have a sane discussion on healthcare without getting so exited. If Federal Government would want to help all Americans with healthcare, they would make it safer and more economical for the private sector to conduct business. Hospitals, clinics, doctors, etc., shouldn't have to pay exorbitant insurance fees, a lot of which goes into defending themselves against lawsuits.

If the Federal Government wanted the pharmaceutical industry not to charge so much for medicine, they could very well do something about it, just like in Canada and Mexico. If it wanted law firms from profiteering from the healthcare industry, it could very well do something about it. If the Federal Government wanted to reduce the cost associated with the healthcare and education of illegal aliens, they could very well do so. If the Federal Government wanted to supplement the cost for healthcare of those who can't pay (US citizens, or course) it could very well do so, without screwing with the healthcare systems of the rest of Americans.

I agree with a lot of Americans who believe that something has to be done to straighten healthcare, but government run healthcare is the worst thing that can happen. Don't tell me that you want this: The same governments (Federal and local) involved in the response to hurricane Katrina to handle healthcare? How about trying to get a driver's license at your nearest DMV? Can you image all the red tape involved for healthcare?

Want to see what a government healthcare system works like? Look at Medicare/Medicaid. Look at their budget deficit, and how they don't pay a portion of their bills. And by the way, the CEO's and VIP's of these agencies still receive bonuses each year, money that comes from every tax payer.

Lol, yes blame the lawyers. It is, after all, so goddamn easy. Do you have ANY idea how HARD it is to bring a successful malpractice action? Have you really researched the REALITY behind the rising cost of malpractice insurance (I'll be nice and give you a hint, the rest of the work you'll have to do on your own- if you're at all interested in the truth, that is....here goes. The increased cost of malpractice insurance has NOTHING to do with a "barrage" of frivolous lawsuits, and EVERYTHING to do with GREED on the part of those insurance companies.) If you really want to buy into the BS partyline of "Ohs noes! Nasty lawyers are bringing baseless lawsuits against saintly doctors, and the nice insurance companies HAVE to raise the price of malpractice insurance because everyone is some goshdurn litigious!" then by all means, go right ahead. You would be wrong of course, but on a good day, the vast majority of Americans are wrong, about, well just about everything, so god knows you'll have plenty of company. Do you realize how collusive doctors are when they do something wrong? It's just like cops, just like the military, and the reality is that doctors and hospitals make terrible, unconscionable and PREVENTABLE mistakes. every. single. day. Medicine is a for--profit enterprise in the US, and the fairy tale lie that people tell themselves about good ol' saintly doctors, toiling away for the good of society is just that- a fairy tale. Because of the way that medicine is structured in the US, the people it attracts are the same people that banking, or law, or any other FOR-PROFIT industry attracts. They are, at the end of the day, BUSINESS PEOPLE. They cut corners to make a profit. They understaff to make a profit. They order unnecessary tests to make a profit. And often, very often, in their rush to- you guessed it- make a profit, horrendous mistakes are made, that they CAN and SHOULD pay for. What price for a leg, wrongfully amputated? What price for a uterus mistakenly removed when you went in for a gallbladder operation? What price for coming out of the maternity ward, armless and legless, because of preventable bacterial infection?

But yep. You're right. It's the damn lawyers.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:59 PM

It is the lawyers. My friends wife developed a range of tweaks and trmbles from the meds she is taking for last several years. They flew from a far away to see her and last case they had was 6 mil verdict.
She's alive thanks to the s**** she
's taking, but now she'll sue for millions because she's alive, but not 100% perfect...
So what's up?

Old 08-29-2009, 08:00 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,861,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
Lol, yes blame the lawyers. It is, after all, so goddamn easy. Do you have ANY idea how HARD it is to bring a successful malpractice action? Have you really researched the REALITY behind the rising cost of malpractice insurance (I'll be nice and give you a hint, the rest of the work you'll have to do on your own- if you're at all interested in the truth, that is....here goes. The increased cost of malpractice insurance has NOTHING to do with a "barrage" of frivolous lawsuits, and EVERYTHING to do with GREED on the part of those insurance companies.) Do you realize how collusive doctors are when they do something wrong? It's just like cops, just like the military, and the reality is that doctors and hospitals make terrible, unconscionable and PREVENTABLE mistakes. every. single. day. Medicine is a for--profit enterprise in the US, and the fairy tale lie that people tell themselves about good ol' saintly doctors, toiling away for the good of society is just that- a fairy tale. Because of the way that medicine is structured in the US, the people it attracts are the same people that banking, or law, or any other FOR-PROFIT industry attracts. They are, at the end of the day, BUSINESS PEOPLE. They cut corners to make a profit. They understaff to make a profit. They order unnecessary tests to make a profit. And often, very often, in their rush to- you guessed it- make a profit, horrendous mistakes are made, that they CAN and SHOULD pay for. What price for a leg, wrongfully amputated? What price for a uterus mistakenly removed when you went in for a gallbladder operation? What price for coming out of the maternity ward, armless and legless, because of preventable bacterial infection?

But yep. You're right. It's the damn lawyers.
It is the lawyers and insurance companies. It is the insurance companies for the most part that dictate what tests, procedures, medications are acceptable without preapproval. If they say no, the patient pays out of pocket or goes without. Because of malpractice suits the doctors do everything they can to check every aspect sometimes when not really necessary to have the bases covered to avoid the lawsuits. Sometimes when needed, they can't do the tests, procedures, etc., because the insurance companies won't accept it. Mistakes happen, but it is the administration cutting back on making sure it doesn't to save costs. Staff is mostly overworked. I know personally in a small hick town in WY having a cyst removed from my arm, before being anesthetized, I had to take a marker and put an X on my arm and a circle around the area in question... The moral of the story is to research, ask questions about conditions, procedures, meds...you are in control of your care in the end. This country has turned into a big lawsuit whether malpractice, accidents, whatever...we pay with the insurance...the insurance companies make the money and dictate what is acceptable in their minds or not. I have been on both side of this as a grandparent and guardian of a 6 year old who went into kidney failure and had to have multiple tests, procedures, meds and dialysis. After being in ICU for 2-1/2 weeks, they still had no idea what was wrong or what caused this. The head of the Pediatric Nephrology Unit at the University of MN told me some day he would tell me, but for the time being had admitted to not knowing, I would say that was pretty big of him. I also work with this on a daily basis and I can say the docs I transcribe for are very judicious in covering the bases to the best of their ability, and they do whatever they can to manipulate the system for the benefit of the patient...

Old 08-29-2009, 08:05 PM

Hell, I witnessed an MD refuse to help his neighbour's kid hurt on a bicicle due to his malpractice insurance coverage for his place of business only. So what about the oath they take? Heh...

Old 08-29-2009, 08:15 PM

291 posts, read 1,075,497 times
Oy, cripes. I see neither of you bothered to address the heart of my argument. God Bless Amuruhka. "This is ARE Country!"

Old 08-29-2009, 08:20 PM

You hope it is better in Ireland? Good luck.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
I need a lawyer as I am being picked on in this thread and accused of being an illegal Mexican:

//www.city-data.com/forum/illeg...noyance-3.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska