Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 02:34 PM

100 posts, read 338,850 times

Advertisements

Wow! my prayers go out to you! I haven't had a mamagram either. Still too young but they scare me. I have had my pap done but i hate those too.. I am not looking forward to having a mamagram as i was told they hurt like Hell!! My mother-in-law had a colonoscopy done and she said it hurt like Hell!! i'm not looking forward to that either.. I wish there was some other way to ditect cancer or anything else without causing pain to everyone..

Best wishes for your fast recovery and i hope it all goes well!!

Lovin' Surprise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 02:43 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin' Surprise View Post
I wish there was some other way to ditect cancer or anything else without causing pain to everyone..

Lovin' Surprise
There is, an autopsy....

Sorry to be blunt, but that is it in a nutshell....

Old 09-21-2009, 03:00 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin' Surprise View Post
Wow! my prayers go out to you! I haven't had a mamagram either. Still too young but they scare me. I have had my pap done but i hate those too.. I am not looking forward to having a mamagram as i was told they hurt like Hell!! My mother-in-law had a colonoscopy done and she said it hurt like Hell!! i'm not looking forward to that either.. I wish there was some other way to ditect cancer or anything else without causing pain to everyone..

Best wishes for your fast recovery and i hope it all goes well!!

Lovin' Surprise
No, mammograms do not hurt. I've had one, a few years ago & honestly, I couldn't understand where all the hoo-ha about the pain was coming from. Pap smears are painless, just a little uncomfortable for just a few seconds while the doctor is taking a swab. Other than that, nothing to it.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:52 PM

I received this as a reputation comment from an unsigned source...

Quote:
If anyone actually reads through your comedic rendition, they'll notice you forgot to say thank you to medical advances & how grateful you are for the opp to have this tx - Good luck & God Bless!
I have no doubt about their sincerity, but no I did not say thank you in this thread to all the billions of dollars and human hours put in by devoted people that make cures of any kind possible... But had the anonymous poster read the posts for what they are mention for, is to have people that are risk to get tested.

I have the utmost respect for anyone that works the health care field and fully appreciate the work they do, but that was not the reason for this thread.

I may or may not be cured from this prostate cancer as of yet, but there are those that can be but are afraid to go, and if my "humor" gets one person to do what I didn't get done until late in the forth quarter, then it will be well worth the effort!

So I hope the poster starts to read into a thread more than just the surface.

And thank those that have given me their support, but I would like that directed to those that are afraid to get the tests for any cancers for whatever their reason is...not just Prostate cancer.

Life is much too short as it is, and anything that can make the trip last a bit longer with "quality of life" is what counts!

Last edited by starlite9; 09-21-2009 at 05:10 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 10:45 PM

As a bit of an update....

Finished the last of the direct radiation treatments about three weeks ago, guts felt like I was the center of attention (target) at a kick boxing event. Getting better as the weeks goes on, the doc said it will be about five to six weeks from the aftereffects before feeling more "normal", but getting energy back now to where I can go and do some simple tasks that aren't too labor intensive. Drag in a couple of cans of coal for the first few weeks and felt like the whole gut pack was ready to fall out. Now it is just feels like I want to throw up, don't sound like much, but a very big improvement.

Hope you guys get the PSA tests done for the Prostate Cancer test that are in the 40's year range, if you had it in your family, get it sooner. Mine had been perking for about 14 years and hadn't appeared yet to have gotten out of the Prostate, once it does, it goes to the bones and you are pretty much a write off and then the cure kills you before the cancer does in most cases.

In my case, there was no symptoms that suggested that I had the cancer until they did the test and my score was 35, normal is below one. When they did the biopsy, the Gleason Score was an 8 out of 10, not good.

I won't know if this was all for not, for about another two years, still have to take Lupron shots every four months, but if it was good, then that should be it... I was an advanced case and they had to use all the weapons at hand, although it is much easier to deal with in the early stages.

Anyway, hope all of you are in good health... I'm getting there if all is good!

Would like to give Kudo's to the folks at the Fairbanks Cancer Center at Fairbanks Memorial Hospital, they were all stellar and very professional! It was a joy to go in early and work the community jigsaw puzzle they had in the waiting room. Sometimes I would get there early when the staff was there eating lunch and enjoyed talking with and working the puzzle with them.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

As a foot note, my insurance (Blue Cross) was good for all this so far, don't know how the new "National Health Care" will be that congress is attempting to pass in secret, but I doubt as good and seems like it will cost a whole lot more.... IMHO

Sad that it appears that Congress is going to down grade the 80% of Americans that have good health care to match what the 20% don't have... Time will tell.... really hope I am wrong on this one!

Old 12-21-2009, 12:22 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,269,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
As a foot note, my insurance (Blue Cross) was good for all this so far, don't know how the new "National Health Care" will be that congress is attempting to pass in secret, but I doubt as good and seems like it will cost a whole lot more.... IMHO
Glad to hear that you are on the upswing.

About your "pass in secret" remark - you must be referring to something else. The Health Care Reform proposals have seen vigorous, and often acrimonious, public debate the past several months. I just watched C-SPAN awhile back showing the Senate vote on cloture. Nothing secret about that. Perhaps the radio signals don't travel that fast in bush Alaska. More likely, you are watching Fixed Noise.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:44 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
Starlite as you already know you attitude counts more than anything else!! Great job for yourself!!! Really been through it (with others) great job doing this. Also major reps to you if I could for just telling people to take care of themselves. Thank you for sharing your story.

I am back in Hawaii and dealing with a friend that got hit by a drunk driver, self employeed three years ago and dianosed with breast cancer. Of course no insuraance will deal with her from pre ingurery. BS..... it will all work out good.

Good luck with the furture and hands up to you for trying to help others out to detect things quicker. Wishing you all the love and joy for the holidays and many more holidays to come!!!!!!!!

Old 12-21-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
Glad to hear that you are on the upswing.

About your "pass in secret" remark - you must be referring to something else. The Health Care Reform proposals have seen vigorous, and often acrimonious, public debate the past several months. I just watched C-SPAN awhile back showing the Senate vote on cloture. Nothing secret about that. Perhaps the radio signals don't travel that fast in bush Alaska. More likely, you are watching Fixed Noise.
And where might one go to see this bill they are voting on in detail then?

Our President claimed it would be posted on the internet for all to see before being voted on....

Old 12-21-2009, 01:33 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,364,782 times
Hey Starlite - thanks for the update! Know that we'll keep you in our thoughts as you heal up! My dad is on the "other side" of some cancer treatment also and working to get his weight and activity back to what he's used to again. You sound like you have a good day-by-day perspective
Happy holidays to you and yours!
Dawn

Old 12-21-2009, 05:10 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
Big HUGS!! Congrats!!! welcome to the cancer remission club!!!! May your days of feeling crappy be short!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska