Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 10:44 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyear View Post
Yes, I am a female, and I have had a hysterectomy. So I do understand.
Ouch, you are on the slide to the "Golden Years"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 10:46 PM

400 posts, read 469,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well for what it is worth, you being a gal, you have a whole slew of gautlets you women have to contend with verses what men have.

Getting old isn't for the weak at heart and faint of mind...

Really sucks in the morning when you have to walk around the bedroom when you get up to find all the parts that fell off the night before...
LOL, and not laughing at you but love your explanations,

I'm wondering about the parts that fell off the night before. What do you actual mean by that?

Old 04-10-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Ouch, you are on the slide to the "Golden Years"....
It's ok, I don't mind, but I have to admit it takes time to make sure I keep the pounds off. Oh, and I'm normally hot throwing blankets off my bed at night.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
LOL, and not laughing at you but love your explanations,

I'm wondering about the parts that fell off the night before. What do you actual mean by that?
It's a secret, if we told the younger folks what to expect, they would all jump off tall buildings...

"Getting older", not for the faint of heart!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:18 PM

hmmm, silly but...

I'm curious i guess

Old 04-10-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
hmmm, silly but...

I'm curious i guess
Nope, we're not telling

Old 04-11-2010, 10:31 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
Quote:
Getting old isn't for the weak at heart and faint of mind...

Really sucks in the morning when you have to walk around the bedroom when you get up to find all the parts that fell off the night before...
ahahahahaha!! LMAO!! what a visual! must suck when half awake and put parts back but in wrong places or get your better half's parts instead of yours!!! sheez can't wait for the "golden years"!! Golden my butt!

Old 04-11-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
ahahahahaha!! LMAO!! what a visual! must suck when half awake and put parts back but in wrong places or get your better half's parts instead of yours!!! sheez can't wait for the "golden years"!! Golden my butt!
Yeah, really sucks when you put your pants on backwards and they are fully functional...

Old 04-11-2010, 06:56 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
Quote:
Yeah, really sucks when you put your pants on backwards and they are fully functional...
oh my that does blow now doesn't it?? LMAO!!!

Old 04-11-2010, 07:33 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Quote:
Well it is going onto Mid April '10, and figured I would give kind of an update on the Prostate Cancer.

The energy levels are starting to come back now, the testosterone is still down, matter of fact, Monday I have to have another Lupron shot that last another four months. It should be about another year before I will know if all was for not or good. Currently the PSA levels are at about .06 as of a month ago, which is great, but that could also be because of the Lupron and other meds they give me.

That last radiation treatment was mid November of '09, and I still have some side effects such as sore stomach muscles. The Doc said that if I were to be cut open, I would have what appears to be canker sores all over my insides from the Radiation (funny they didn't mention that when I got zapped) and that it would take four to six months to heal.

I can't remember if I had mentioned it in earlier posts, but when I was getting my direct radiation treatments, I had to drive up to Fairbanks daily and back home by myself. That is about a 160 mile round trip, after each session, I had to stop every twenty to thirty miles and rest, not sleepy rest, but exhausted rest. A friend told me to take a energy drink, came in about a 2oz. bottle and was suppose to last five hours or so (different brands on the market I guess). I told him I couldn't handle that much sugar and he said it only had about four calories... Anyway I bought a bottle and tried it out of desperation. It was about week three of the radiation treatments when I tried it. It didn't make me want to enter a foot race, but it was the first time I was able to drive all the way home and not have to stop on the side of the road. I guess it made me feel more human like than road kill...

I took the empty bottle to the doctor and asked him if it was good or not, he read the ingredients and said it was mostly vitamins and appeared to be OK, so I bought a couple of cases of the stuff and am still using it almost every other day or so for energy. I can tell the differences though as the healing is getting better, the lack of testosterone is clearly taking it's toll on my energy levels though and will do so for about another year when that treatment ends.

I also found from subsequent doctor visits that after blood tests, my vitamin D3 levels were really low. It appears that most people that have Prostate Cancers have that low level in their system, so I am taking 2,000 I.U. twice a day which also appears to be giving me some energy since I started on them. Being in Alaska during the darkness of winter, you don't get much sunlight for the natural Vitamin D you would normally get.

Anyway, for those that may be having issues, there does seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel when detected early, so make sure you get tested for cancers recommended by your doctor. My prostate cancer had no signs, the only way I found out is though the PSA Blood test and it was about 12 to 14 years along and would have exited the Prostate shortly, which is not good. Breast Cancer and others can be tested for and are alot easier to deal with in the early stages than later.

Over all, things have worked out pretty well, I work on boats in the summer and get to take most of the winters off, so the treatments started in late fall when I was home... Most people won't get to have the same timing as I had, but I would have adapted to whatever they said I needed.

I would like to thank those that have asked for my advice, sent supportive notes and a host of other positive responses! I hope that you will direct those comments and support to others that may have the same and other afflictions, you have no idea of how a bit of sunshine on a dark gloomy day, makes one's spirits shine a bit brighter.

The people in the medical loop that I was involved in were all champions! At times when things look tough, they always had a smile and words of encouragement, and to them I wish to convey a big Thanks!

Will do another update if anything changes.

Thanks all!

Mark

Continued success, Mark. Most anyone you talk to has been affected by cancer in one way or another. Lost my Dad to colon cancer and there was no cancer of any kind on either side of his family. A colonoscopy is now part of my life. No problems so far, but I have had to deal with a bout of skin cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska