Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:34 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvinoya View Post
I understand your concern about people claiming false intent of residency. Although, it would be kind of unfair for many servicemen who'd join the service at a young age, and still not able to purchase a real estate. Even if that person is capable already but if you have a family, it is hard to maintain two residences at the same time. It's not like we're getting paid twice the amount for housing.

Anyway, regarding my earlier post, I know of the rule of being in Alaska before you're eligible. But like I said I've heard from a friend that dependents, specifically newborns of a military member, who hasn't set foot in Alaska would still be eligible for such. I just want to confirm that rule.

I didn't have to be in Alaska for a whole year to claim home of record. It's automatic that when you join the military and you're in Alaska, that would be your home of record. Also, as background info, my two other children also hasn't stayed in alaska longer than two weeks since they were born, yet they are eligible and receiving checks. I just had to make sure they were in Alaska at least 72 hours. that is why I am asking if there was any other change since I've had two more children but I havent taken them to Alaska yet for the 72 hour rule since I've been deployed twice in the past 2 years.
Being in Alaska in the Military doesn't make it your home of record because you are here. Your home of record is where you enlisted at, and it part of your records and when you get out of the military either after a first enlistment or retire, they pay your way back to your "Home of Record".

If you haven't changed your paperwork and are still getting a PFD, you might not want to be telling everyone you are getting it if you aren't here. I enlisted in the Coast Guard in Anchorage, that was the only time my "Home of Record" was automatic, had I wanted to change it to somewhere else, I had to do it then.

Just being here in the military don't bite it, you have to show you plan on coming back to be a resident. You may qualify for a PFD after being here the mandatory year, but when you leave, you are no different than a civilian that leaves, it is gone.

If they contact the military after you have left and request proof of Alaska as being "Home of Record" and you show being somewhere else and are still getting the PFD, you could be up for some real issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 11:37 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Starlite9 is correct in relation to "home of records." To the PDF, it doesn't matter what the home of records is; only residency matters, in this case being a resident of AK. He is also correct about not getting a PDF check after one leaves. For example, I had been an AK resident for several years while in the military. My home of records was Alaska, too. Back in 1982 I got orders for a base in CA, followed by another base in NY. For over eight years I could not receive a PDF check while stationed in the lower-48. I kept my AK residency and home of records, but I still could not receive a check until I returned to Alaska and lived here over a year.

The only way I could have continued receiving the money was by coming back to Alaska each year for the designated number of months, something that was impossible for me to do because I could not accrue enough annual leave each year to spend it in Alaska. Besides, a legal AK residence (home, apartment's address) is required when filing with the PFD.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:12 AM

7 posts, read 41,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
More money for us that actually live here. I don't see why military people should be treated any different than any others moving to the state and has to actually stay a full calendar year. Still sounds like you are stealing money from the people that reside year round.
First of all, if it was my choice to stay in Alaska, I would've chosen so. I've been trying to get back to Alaska for the last two years but no, Air Force needs comes first. As far as stealing money, I know the consequences of filing fraudulently, and personally, I would not want to be on the wrong side. Receiving the PFD money is helpful, but I don't need it to a point I will file fraudulently.

Here are some info regarding filing guidelines for military:

State of Alaska - Permanent Fund Dividend Division (http://www.pfd.state.ak.us/military/index.aspx - broken link)

Being stationed outside of Alaska is allowable absence, again refer to this guideline from the PFD website:

State of Alaska - Permanent Fund Dividend Division (http://www.pfd.state.ak.us/absences/index.aspx - broken link)

Here's an extract from the absences website, some texts emphasized:

"
Allowable Absences

Permanent Fund Dividend laws allow persons to be absent from Alaska for more than 180 days total in a qualifying year if they are absent for one or more of the following reasons:
  1. receiving secondary or postsecondary education on a full-time basis;
  2. receiving vocational, professional, or other specific education on a full-time basis for which, as determined by the Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education, a comparable program is not reasonably available in the state;
  3. serving on active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States or accompanying, as that individual's spouse, minor dependent, disabled dependent, an individual who is
    1. serving on active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States; and
    2. eligible for a current year dividend. "

Old 10-01-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Being in Alaska in the Military doesn't make it your home of record because you are here. Your home of record is where you enlisted at, and it part of your records and when you get out of the military either after a first enlistment or retire, they pay your way back to your "Home of Record".

If you haven't changed your paperwork and are still getting a PFD, you might not want to be telling everyone you are getting it if you aren't here. I enlisted in the Coast Guard in Anchorage, that was the only time my "Home of Record" was automatic, had I wanted to change it to somewhere else, I had to do it then.

Just being here in the military don't bite it, you have to show you plan on coming back to be a resident. You may qualify for a PFD after being here the mandatory year, but when you leave, you are no different than a civilian that leaves, it is gone.

If they contact the military after you have left and request proof of Alaska as being "Home of Record" and you show being somewhere else and are still getting the PFD, you could be up for some real issues.

Starlite: Please see my post above regarding about not being in Alaska and still be able to qualify for a dividend.

As for those who feel like military personnel are stealing from your pot of money, it is not us that set the law. True, for most military personnel just being in Alaska doesn't automatically qualify you for a dividend. If you enlisted while you're in Alaska, then your home of record is Alaska. That is verified by the PFD commision everytime you apply for the PFD. For others, they will need to change their home of record to Alaska, and then fulfill the residency requirements needed, such as being in Alaska for a whole year and applying for a driver's license, or registering to vote, etc. before the beginning of your 6th month as a resident. Again, refer to the guidelines I posted above.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvinoya View Post
Starlite: Please see my post above regarding about not being in Alaska and still be able to qualify for a dividend.

As for those who feel like military personnel are stealing from your pot of money, it is not us that set the law. True, for most military personnel just being in Alaska doesn't automatically qualify you for a dividend. If you enlisted while you're in Alaska, then your home of record is Alaska. That is verified by the PFD commision everytime you apply for the PFD. For others, they will need to change their home of record to Alaska, and then fulfill the residency requirements needed, such as being in Alaska for a whole year and applying for a driver's license, or registering to vote, etc. before the beginning of your 6th month as a resident. Again, refer to the guidelines I posted above.
I have no problems with the military personnel getting a PFD when they are here and meet the requirements, if they are on active duty elsewhere and still receive it, I have no issues with that either.

My issue is those that have no intentions of coming back here but claim the PFD as if they were a resident of the State when in fact it isn't their home of record, they don't vote here in absentia, they have another State driver's license and so on.

There is a lot of fraud with the PFD... On the slope there is also a lot of workers that claim Alaska Residence, but they live in another state when they aren't on rotation up here, but they have a P.O. Box in Anchorage...

I am a very big supporter of our military and have no problems with those receiving the PFD if qualified as Alaskan Residents. But the schemers come from all walks of life, and the term "Free" money seems to suck some of them in pretty quickly, no matter how much it is, or isn't. Some people base their move to Alaska based on the PFD and are totally clueless that it won't pay a month's worth of utilities in some places in Alaska.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I have no problems with the military personnel getting a PFD when they are here and meet the requirements, if they are on active duty elsewhere and still receive it, I have no issues with that either.

My issue is those that have no intentions of coming back here but claim the PFD as if they were a resident of the State when in fact it isn't their home of record, they don't vote here in absentia, they have another State driver's license and so on.

There is a lot of fraud with the PFD... On the slope there is also a lot of workers that claim Alaska Residence, but they live in another state when they aren't on rotation up here, but they have a P.O. Box in Anchorage...

I am a very big supporter of our military and have no problems with those receiving the PFD if qualified as Alaskan Residents. But the schemers come from all walks of life, and the term "Free" money seems to suck some of them in pretty quickly, no matter how much it is, or isn't. Some people base their move to Alaska based on the PFD and are totally clueless that it won't pay a month's worth of utilities in some places in Alaska.
For military personnel, it is easy to check if Alaska is their Home of Record. The PFD Division does that every claim. As for slope workers, I can't say anything about them since I don't really know anyone that works there. I do agree it is a fraud and P.O. Box shouldn't be used as a claim of residence. Having a driver's license and registered to vote, or owning real estate would be much better show of faith that you do intend to remain as a resident indefinitely. For military personnel that are out of the state for more than 5 years, we have a detailed questionnaire stating the dates of when we were in and out of Alaska, and an explanation how we show the intent of remaining an Alaskan resident indefinitely.

Now that we've established that I am deserving to receive a PFD check, back to my original question. Have you heard of any "rumor" or any new regulation being put in for ELIGIBLE military personnel with dependents, waiving the 72 hour rule for first time dependent filing, i.e. newborn children. As I've said before, a new personnel from my shop had just moved in here in Germany and informed me of such. New as in, they've just moved in about a month ago. They were talking about Palin putting in this regulation of some sort. I don't know if it's true. That is the reason I am in this forum asking. I know I can go to the authorities to know exactly, but I just wanted to strike up a conversation here to see your views about it and if it was really true.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:33 PM

Here is the military site at the PFD office.

http://www.pfd.state.ak.us/military/militarybrochure.pdf (broken link)

Old 10-01-2009, 02:31 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
It still seems like you are stealing from all of the Alaska residents that live here. To me it seems like you have no intention of living in Alaska at all. I'm glad you serve our country, but think about this, you collecting the checks while not living here, is that helping everyone else that lives here year round? There are thousands of Alaskans off the road system that count on this check every fall. Have you ever been to any of the Bush communities? If no, I'd like for you to take a trip to any town/village that isn't connected to the road system, this might change your mind about getting free money while you aren't living in state.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:27 PM

251 posts, read 679,747 times
They just need to tighten the reins on the PFD and stop making all these military exemptions, if you lived here went to high school here and enlisted here thats one thing but joe 6 pack from alabama that randomly get stationed up here should not qualify. I like the idea of requiring real estate or having a significant family member that resides here (mother father, etc). As I said before if you checked the web site and did not see anything about dependants then its probably not there as I have never heard about it and I am glad that they dont just because a transient parent happens to be up here from time to time.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:41 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
They just need to tighten the reins on the PFD and stop making all these military exemptions, if you lived here went to high school here and enlisted here thats one thing but joe 6 pack from alabama that randomly get stationed up here should not qualify. I like the idea of requiring real estate or having a significant family member that resides here (mother father, etc). As I said before if you checked the web site and did not see anything about dependants then its probably not there as I have never heard about it and I am glad that they dont just because a transient parent happens to be up here from time to time.
Did you read the military exceptions posted by Starlite9 above?

The rules apply to both military and civilians alike, and their dependents. Some of these civilians are Alaska students attending school outside Alaska. Again: only those who qualify to receive a PDF check receive it.

You can't ignore the fact that Alaska has the highest per capita number of former military members who are AK residents. Even right here in this forum a lot of us are former military members who have contributed to the AK's economy for years and years, since the construction of the AK Highway. Some leave Alaska, and some stay, just like civilians who arrive to Alaska every day. A lot of us (military members and dependents) have retired in Alaska for quite a lot of years. I alone have been in Alaska for nearly 31 years already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: