Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:20 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I'd like to have coffee with those three but at Sam & Lee's instead of Pepe's.
I would like to try Sam & Lee's too. I should ask Majik if he'd be up to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 04:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,278 times
Tom

A similer thread appeared on another forum so i've copied part of my reply for you as he too was a fellow english man looking to visit Alaska:

I am an Englishman who has spent a reasonable amount of time in Alaska, the “warning” is only half in jest – it is addictive!!.

I spent the summer of 2004 up there , then returned for spring, summer and fall off 2005. I met so many wonderful people and had so many amazing experiences, I feel more at home in Alaska than the uk and don’t get me wrong I love England. I kayaked around humpback whales, fished for monster salmon, hiked solo in to the wilderness, helped out on a photo shoot up in the arctic with national geographic, ate walrus/caribou/muktuk with inupiat friends, sat in a rusty old van as polar bears feasted on whale carcasses and slammed there paws on to the windows, saw the northern lights and probably most amazing was seeing two polar bears fighting with an interior grizzly, never in my wildest of wildest dreams did I think I would be involved in anything to do with the polar bears – luck and opportunity came together big time.

I also packed a mossberg 500 pump action shot gun with slugs but take it from me and others on here – stick with the bear spray. I have been shooting 25 years here in the uk but shooting a charging bear is a whole different ball game.

I have had a fair spread of experiences up there from a “tourist” perspective, the Alaskan people are great as you have already seen from some of the offers on this forum. For what its worth if you would like some advice from a fellow Englishman, feel free to private message me and I’ll drop you my phone number.

And the best bit, I’ve just become the owner of 1 acre of Alaska – told you it was addictive.

I've been as far south as Ketchiken and as far north as Kaktovik, the same offer I will extend to you regarding help with your trip planning

ATB

Jason

Old 11-02-2009, 08:23 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,268,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Can someone visiting from afar experience everything Alaska has to offer in 2-3 weeks? Of course not. But that has nothing to do with whether one goes to the “right place” to experience the “Real” Alaska; it’s simply due the physical limitations of time and logistics.
Agreed...took one 2-week trip to Australia and another 6-week trip to Africa; while obviously unable to experience everything [or even most things!], will always be glad to have caught a glimpse of both. Amazing.

Hope to catch a glimpse of Alaska someday, too.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,711 times
in 5 days i will be in alaska on a third trip. first by cruise ship in 2009.
second in mid august 2011. now 3rd..this time with a friend, drive from anchorage to fairbanks, then on to pudhoe bay by road - guided.
from there, fly to kaktovik to see polar bears.
see aurora.
back to fairbanks-anchorage, head to kodiak or kenai looking for grizzlies. wish could see polars, grizz, wolves, etc....whales...total 9-10 day tour.
can anybody give me tips....price....where to buy warm stuff?
YCHOW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska