Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 02:26 PM

11 posts, read 44,574 times

Advertisements

How is satellite internet reliability in the rural Fairbanks area? Hughes network's site mentions weather can be a factor, so does snow cause problems? Fog? Rain?

I would love to hear from people who live near Fairbanks and have satellite internet...

Thanks!

Last edited by gshurley; 10-27-2009 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 11:05 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshurley View Post
How is satellite internet reliability in the rural Fairbanks area? Hughes network's site mentions weather can be a factor, so does snow cause problems? Fog? Rain?

I would love to hear from people who live near Fairbanks and have satellite internet...

Thanks!
Well I install them when I am not out playing with the boats, using it right now. Starband seems to be affected by the weather and we have been doing a lot of change out to Hughesnet this last year.

Using it here at the house and haven't had any weather related issues so far. There is a couple of sunspots that take the signal out in the spring and fall for about ten min's for a few days when the sun lines up directly behind the satellite, but no big deal.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:39 AM

11 posts, read 44,574 times
Sunspots! I had not thought of that, but being down for 10 minutes or so for a few days is completely tolerable - that is about the same reliability as the cable internet access I have now.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:09 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshurley View Post
Sunspots! I had not thought of that, but being down for 10 minutes or so for a few days is completely tolerable - that is about the same reliability as the cable internet access I have now.
It isn't sunspots though, but otherwise the information is about right.

The sun is a very hot body, and produces an amazing amount of radiation of various kinds, including at radio frequencies. What is called a "sun outage" happens when the alignment of the earth and the sun put the sun directly behind the satellite of interest. An earth station antenna that is pointed at the satellite is also pointed directly at the sun. As the sun passes along behind the satellite, the RF from the sun is much stronger than the desired signal from the satellite. That happens every spring and every fall for a few days. It affects commercial telecommunications just as much as it affects the internet.

The timing of sun outages in Alaska is interesting, because of course it happens at a different time for an Earth Station in Anchorage than for one in Kotzebue, for example. So Kotzebue loses the use of any given satellite twice, once when their own station is down and once when the one in Anchorage is down. And, since ATT and GCI have different satellites, they lose use of each at different times too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska