Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 06:55 PM

5 posts, read 12,632 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I have been lurking these forums for about a month now because I had applied to a job in Juneau.

Well, they offered me the job (I have yet to accept)
I am currently trying to figure out monthly expenses - and if I can live in Juneau on my proposed salary.

So - what I am asking of all you Juneau residents - what are your average monthly costs?

I have done a little research, and here is what I have come up with so far...
1. Rent/Mortgage - $1200
2. Utilities - $100-300
3. Internet - ? - I am a techie, so I would really like something above 5Mb/s
4. Groceries - ? - I am a mid twenty college grad
5. Activities - ? - Again, I am a mid twenty college grad
6. Anything else I have forgotten?

I really appreciate everyone's input on this.

~AB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 11:26 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
Rent sounds about right. You can get it down to the $600 range if you can find a two bedroom and a roommate.

Your utility estimate may be high depending on what is included in rent and the rental type (house vs. condo/apt.). Electricity can run you anywhere from $30 to $200+ depending on whether it's electric or oil heat. Apartments/condos that have central heat usually include it in the rental. Water, sewer and garbage are usually covered in the monthly rental.

GCI has several internet packages that include TV, phone, long distance and internet. A package you'd be interested starts at $128 and can be upgraded to 8 mbps for $10. If you just want internet, 8 mbps will run you about $50.

Groceries will depend on your eating habits. Fresh is more expensive. There is a Costco, Walmart, Fred Meyer and Safeway located here, so if you're a frugal shopper, you can eat for $200-300. If you eat out a lot, it will cost you much more. For instance, the McDonalds $1.00 menu is $1.50 and the Subway $5.00 foot long is something like $7.00 when they have it.

I'm not mid-twenties, but there are plenty of sports activities to participate in. There are adult leagues in softball, soccer, hockey, basketball and volleyball. Kayaking, hiking, fishing, hunting, skiing and camping opportunities abound. There is a university here, so I assume there are activities there. I'm guessing the dating scene might be limited. The newspaper used to have a section called the Hooligan, which was geared towards the younger set. There was lamenting about how many young adults were forced to leave because of lack of employment.

You need to consider cell phone providers. AT&T is the only national carrier here. all the others are local providers. Other national carriers will work here, but it can be hit or miss on which ones will work. There's transportation considerations. While there is bus service, you'll likely need a car to get around. Gas is currently around $3.00/gal. Then there's travel out. Round trip to Seattle is in the $400-600 range, likely the most expensive part of your flight.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:03 PM

5 posts, read 12,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
You need to consider cell phone providers. AT&T is the only national carrier here. all the others are local providers. Other national carriers will work here, but it can be hit or miss on which ones will work.
Does anyone in Juneau have a cell phone through Verizon? How is the coverage - and is there 3g? I am considering getting an Android, but if it won't work up there I guess that puts the kibosh on that idea.

I plan on going into the Verizon store next week sometime, they will probably tell me it will work, but I would really like to hear from some residents about what the service is really like.

Last edited by arctic_blizzard; 12-27-2009 at 04:17 PM..

Old 12-27-2009, 05:11 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_blizzard View Post
Does anyone in Juneau have a cell phone through Verizon? How is the coverage - and is there 3g? I am considering getting an Android, but if it won't work up there I guess that puts the kibosh on that idea.

I plan on going into the Verizon store next week sometime, they will probably tell me it will work, but I would really like to hear from some residents about what the service is really like.
I live in TN and used my Verizon cell phone while I was up in Juneau in November. I had to dial the AK area code to make local calls, but wasn't charged anything extra on my phone bill when I received it a few weeks later.

Stayed in town, and no idea how well it would work out of town. I would also like more info on this. I am planning on keeping the same cell phone plan for a few months when I move up there in January.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:20 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_blizzard View Post

At&T rules in the SE. Anything else...you're roaming.
At the moment 3G is non-existant here. But it is coming...they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska