Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 11:43 PM

6 posts, read 15,907 times

Advertisements

My husband, our daughter and 2 dogs recently moved to Alaska from Nebraska. I thought I had all my research and felt ready to move. Now that we are here we have encountered so many unexpected surprises! And with the higher costs I am actually making so much less than before. My husband hasn't found any work. On top of everything else I really think that the lack of sunshine is starting to already take its toll. I feel so out of sorts. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Kelly_Soldotna; 12-23-2009 at 12:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 12:11 AM

471 posts, read 1,327,873 times
I would take a guess that 99% of the people that moved up here have gone through the exact same feelings.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:31 AM

879 posts, read 1,731,995 times
I don't live in Alaska, though I do live in western WA which is equally overcast and grey, but not as cold. While I was born in WA, and the lack of sun does not bother me, I have heard many transplants complain of the same thing as you. I'd like to say hang in there, Kelly. It's going to take you a while to adjust. Some steps you can take would be to make an effort to spend as much time outside as possible when there is light, and to perhaps get one of those lamps which emulate the sun for when you are indoors. I've heard that people have success with them.

As far as the financial part of it, I'm afraid I cannot be of much help other than to say that I am in the same boat as your husband. I am a 40 year old male who is currently unemployed (other than some side jobs for friends here and there), and I don't even get benefits. It can be tough on the psyche, almost soul killing in a way. Hopefully his morale isn't suffering too bad. There's nothing he can do but continue looking and, with a little luck, he'll find something.

I am of the opinion that it takes a full two years to know whether or not a new city or "area" is the right fit. You need to experience each season twice as far as weather, etc. It also takes this amount of time to get settled in, meet friends, and feel like you are finally rooted. I would recommend giving it a shot for this two year time frame, and if you still feel like you do, moving on. Just my two cents. Good luck to you, your husband, your daughter, and your furry friends.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:34 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Do you guys get out during the day? Road trips to Homer or Seward or anything? Staying active is a major help in the winter. Heck even a walk on the beach during the day helps. I've lived in Sterling all my life and wouldn't consider living anywhere else (except for Sweden which is just like Alaska as far as daylight hours in winter).
Whats your husband do for work? Many of the companies on the slope are at the brink of hiring now that exploration/drilling season is upon us.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:40 AM

879 posts, read 1,731,995 times
What kind of skills do they look for on the North Slope, Rance? I know having my dog's a killer, but I just thought I'd ask.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:05 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,383,389 times
Don't worry, the long summer days will make up for the short winter days.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:10 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Go hang out with Rance!

Old 12-23-2009, 06:27 AM

216 posts, read 364,677 times
Is there a dog walking group over there - Go visit everyone that lives on your road or lives around you - anyone and everyone you've met call. Get out that project or do one of the things you told yourself you were going to do during the winter - Help someone else with their project - no matter what it is - just say wow that sounds interesting, I've never done that before can I help out. Hooked up with a church ? At least go to some of their functions. Go out and take pictures of everything and anything. Those lights seem to help, they make the house plants look greener anyway. Hang in there summers a comin.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:16 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,155 times
As a new resident, you may be becoming Vit D deficient. Your Vit D levels are important.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:40 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
What kind of skills do they look for on the North Slope, Rance? I know having my dog's a killer, but I just thought I'd ask.
Cooks, housekeepers, truck drivers, laborors, welders, welder helpers, carpenters, roughnecks, mechanics, crane operators, security, emt's, heavy equipment operators...and more.

Right now I'd imagine they need a bunch of oilspill clean-up crews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska